NXP Semiconductors NV (NXPI) is scheduled to report its Q2 2012 results on July 24, 2012, before the market opens. The street expects EPS and revenue of $0.40 and $1.05B, respectively.
In this article I will recap the historical results of the company, its latest EPS estimates vs. surprises, the latest news from NXPI and the news from its closest competitors.
Recent EPS Actuals vs. Estimates
The company has met or beaten analysts' estimates in the last two quarters. In the last quarter it reported $0.19 EPS, just above analyst estimates of $0.18.
The consensus EPS estimate is $0.40 based on 9 analysts' estimates, down from $0.51 a year ago. Revenue estimates are $1.05B, down from $1.12B a year ago. The median target price by analysts for the stock is $30.00.
Average recommendation: Overweight
Analyst Upgrades and Downgrades
- On March 13, 2012, Sterne Agee reiterated Buy rating for the company.
- On February 10, 2012, Barclays Capital reiterated Overweight rating for the company.
- On June 28, 2012, NXP Semiconductors N.V. announced the appointment of Sean Hunkler as Executive Vice President and co-general manager of operations effective July 16. He takes over from Peter Kelly, NXP's new Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- On April 26, 2012, NXP Semiconductors N.V. announced that for second quarter of 2012, it expects total revenue to be in the range of $1.035-$1.071 billion, non-GAAP net income in the range of $97-$108 million and Non-GAAP earnings per share (EPS) in the range of $0.38-$0.43. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts on an average are expecting the Company to report revenue of $1.008 billion, net income of $86 million and EPS of $0.34 for second quarter of 2012.
- On April 4, 2012, NXP Semiconductors N.V. announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire the Dutch electronic design and IP company Catena Group. On completion of the deal, NXP will own 100% of the Catena shares, while Catena will continue to operate as a separate design company.
- On March 29, 2012, NXP Semiconductors N.V. and HID Global announced their collaboration to introduce a global, generic Mobile Access solution for NFC-enabled mobile phones.
- On March 19, 2012, NXP Semiconductors N.V. announced that executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer (CFO) Karl-Henrik "Kalle" Sundstroem has decided to resign as CFOof the Company as per the end of July 2012 for personal family reasons and will return to Sweden.
- On February 9, 2012, NXP Semiconductors N.V. announced that for the first quarter of 2012, it expects non-GAAP Net Income to be in a range of $26-$59 million and non-GAAP earnings per share is anticipated to be in a range of $0.10-$0.24 per share.
- On January 23, 2012, NXP Semiconductors N.V. announced that its MIFARE DESFire platform has been selected to manage the Automated Fare Collection (AFC) of the newly opened metro in the Indian city of Bengaluru, formally known as Bangalore.
Analog Devices (ADI), Cirrus Logic (CRUS), STMicroelectronics (STM), Skyworks Solutions (SWKS), and Texas Instruments (TXN) are considered major competitors for NXP Semiconductors and the table below provides the key metrics for these companies and the industry.
The chart below compares the stock price changes as a percentage for the selected companies for the last one year period.
Competitors' Latest Development
- On July 18, 2012, Skyworks Solutions, Inc. announced that for the fourth quarter of 2012, it expects to record revenue in the range of $415-$420 million with diluted non-GAAP earnings per share of $0.50-$0.51. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts are expecting the Company to report revenues of $419 million and EPS of $0.51 for the fourth quarter of 2012.
- On July 18, 2012, STMicroelectronics N.V. announced that it has introduced the industry's first digital radio chipset that enables simultaneous reception and processing of AM/FM and multiple digital-radio broadcasts (e.g. DAB+).
- On July 17, 2012, STMicroelectronics N.V. announced that it has revealed new surge protection devices certified to the automotive industry's specifications.
- On July 2, 2012, STMicroelectronics NV and Harbin Institute of Technology (HIT), a Chinese university, announced the opening of a joint laboratory to encourage innovation in electronics.
- On June 28, 2012, STMicroelectronics N.V. announced that it has expanded its sensor portfolio with an ultra-compact, high-performance e-compass module. The integration of motion and magnetic sensing in a tiny 3x3x1mm package opens new possibilities for advanced navigation and location-based services in ever-sleeker portable consumer devices.
- On June 26, 2012, STMicroelectronics N.V. announced that it is now delivering the first samples of its new STM32 F3 series of microcontrollers to OEM customers, enabling early evaluation of this new line in ST's product family featuring the ARMR Cortex-M core embedded.
- On June 14, 2012, STMicroelectronics NV announced the introduction of the "Mystique" family of products, a high-speed active-protocol bi-directional converters for managing audio and video signals between DisplayPort and HDMI, two digital-display interface technologies used in computer and consumer electronics.
- On June 13, 2012, STMicroelectronics N.V. and Wasion Group announced the availability of NFC-enabled post-pay power meters for deployment in the municipal grid of ChongQing, China.
- On June 11, 2012, Texas Instruments Incorporated announced that for the second quarter of 2012, it currently expects revenue to be in the range of $3.28-3.42 billion compared with the prior range of $3.22-3.48 billion and EPS to be in the range of $0.32-0.36 compared with the prior range of $0.30-0.38.
- On May 30, 2012, STMicroelectronics N.V. announced that during Annual General Meeting which was held in Amsterdam on May 30, 2012 it has approved the distribution of a cash dividend of USD 0.40 per share, to be paid in four equal quarterly installments, in June, August and December 2012 (November 29, 2012 in Europe) and February 2013 to shareholders of record in the month of each quarterly payment.
- On May 23, 2012, Analog Devices, Inc. announced that for third quarter of 2012, it expects revenues to grow sequentially in the range of 1% to 4% and diluted earnings plan to be in the range of $0.54-$0.58. The Company reported revenue of $675 million in second quarter of 2012.
- On May 22, 2012, Analog Devices, Inc. announced that the Board of Directors has declared a cash dividend of $0.30 per outstanding share of common stock. The dividend will be paid on June 12, 2012 to all shareholders of record at the close of business on June 1, 2012.
- On April 26, 2012, Skyworks Solutions, Inc. announced that for third quarter of 2012, it expects revenue of $383 million with $0.44 of non-GAAP diluted earnings per share .
- On April 25, 2012, Cirrus Logic, Inc. announced that for the fourth quarter of 2012, it expects revenue of $110.6 million and for the first quarter of 2013, revenue is expected to range between $96-$106 million.
- On April 23, 2012, Cirrus Logic, Inc. announced the passing Of Chairman Mike Hackworth.
- On April 23, 2012, Texas Instruments Incorporated announced that for the second quarter of 2012, it expects revenue to be in the range of $3.22-$3.48 billion and Earnings per share to be in the range of $0.30-$0.38. The second quarter's results will be negatively affected by about $100 million of acquisition charges and about $10 million of restructuring charges.
- On April 14, 2012, Texas Instruments Incorporated announced that it will become a component of the NASDAQ-100 Index and the NASDAQ-100 Equal Weighted Index prior to market open on April 23, 2012.
- On March 30, 2012, Analog Devices, Inc. announced that it has acquired Multigig, Inc., a small, privately-held San Jose, California, company specializing in clocking technology.
- On March 13, 2012, Analog Devices, Inc. announced that it will be transferring its stock exchange listing to The NASDAQ Global Select Market from The New York Stock Exchange.
- On March 12, 2012, Texas Instruments Incorporated and iRobot Corp announced a partnership to develop robotic technologies using TI's smart multicore OMAP platform. The two companies will achieve this vision by leveraging iRobot's long history in advancing the field of robotics and TI's strength in applications processors and related technologies.
- On March 8, 2012, Texas Instruments Incorporated announced that for the first quarter of 2012, it lowered its expected ranges for revenue and earnings per share . The reductions are due to lower demand for Wireless products.
The stock has a market capitalization of $4.93B and is currently trading at $21.86 with a 52 week range of $13.06 - $27.44. The stock's year-to-date performance has been 30.32%. It is currently trading above 20, 50 and 200 SMA.
Sources: Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, Marketwatch, Finviz, Reuters.