In this article I will recap the historical results of the company, its latest EPS estimates vs. surprises, the latest news from PEP and the news from its closest competitors.
Recent EPS Actuals vs. Estimates
The company has met or beaten analysts' estimates in the last four quarters. In the last quarter it reported $0.69 EPS, beating analyst estimates of $0.67.
The consensus EPS estimate is $1.10 based on 14 analysts' estimates, down from $1.21 a year ago. Revenue estimates are $16.66B, down from $16.83B a year ago. The median target price by analysts for the stock is $72.00.
Average recommendation: Overweight
- On July 20, 2012, PepsiCo Inc. announced that it has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.5375 per share of PepsiCo common stock. The dividend is payable September 28, 2012, to shareholders of record on September 7, 2012.
- On July 9, 2012, PepsiCo Inc. and Theo Muller Group (Muller), the privately held dairy business in Germany, announced that their U.S. joint venture, Muller Quaker Dairy, will enter the growing U.S. dairy market in mid-July with yogurt products that have never before been available to U.S. consumers.
- On May 2, 2012, PepsiCo Inc. announced that it has declared a 4% increase in the Company's annual dividend, from the current annual rate of $2.06 to $2.15 per share on PepsiCo common stock.
- On April 30, 2012, DineEquity Inc, the parent company of Applebee's Neighborhood Grill & Bar and IHOP Restaurants announced it has signed a 10-year contract with PepsiCo, Inc. to be the exclusive non-alcoholic beverage provider in the majority of soft-drink categories for its more than 1,800 Applebee's and 1,500 IHOP restaurants throughout the U.S. As part of this agreement, Applebee's and IHOP patrons will now be able to enjoy a variety of PepsiCo beverages with their meals, including Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Sierra Mist, Mug Root Beer and Tropicana lemonade.
- On April 26, 2012, PepsiCo Inc. announced that consistent with its previous guidance for fiscal 2012, the Company expects a decline in core constant currency EPS of approximately 5% from its fiscal 2011 core EPS of $4.40. Based on the current forex market consensus, foreign exchange translation would have an unfavorable impact of approximately 2% points on the Company's full year core EPS performance in fiscal 2012.
- On April 16, 2012, Family Dollar Stores, Inc. announced it has agreed in terms to a multi-year partnership with PepsiCo, Inc., to sell its beverages in its 7,100 stores across 45 states.
- On March 31, 2012, Tingyi (Cayman Islands) Holding Corp. and PepsiCo Inc. announced they have completed their transaction to create a strategic beverage alliance in China.
- On March 12, 2012, PepsiCo Inc. announced that current PepsiCo Americas Foods Chief Executive Officer John Compton has been named to a new position President, PepsiCo.
- On February 9, 2012, PepsiCo Inc. announced to implement a three-year productivity program that is expected to generate over $500 million in incremental cost savings in 2012, further incremental reductions in the cost base of about $500 million in 2013, and an additional $500 million in 2014.
- On February 9, 2012, PepsiCo Inc. announced that it targets high-single-digit core constant currency EPS growth for fiscal 2013 and beyond after a transition year in fiscal 2012, in which it expects core constant currency EPS to decrease by 5%. PepsiCo provided its long-term target of mid-single-digit constant currency net revenue growth.
- On February 8, 2012, Reuters reported that Greece's competition watchdog imposed a EUR16.17 million ($21.4 million) fine on PepsiCo Inc. on February 8, 2012 for abusing its dominant market position in the country.
- On February 6, 2012, Dow Jones reported that PepsiCo Inc. may have withdrawn from the purchase of Brazilian cookie maker Marilan Alimentos because of issues discovered during the due dilligence process, the O Estado de S. Paulo newspaper reported, and in response offered a lower price than expected by the Garla family, which owns Marilan.
The Coca-Cola Company (KO), Dr Pepper Snapple Group (DPS), National Beverage Corporation (FIZZ) are considered major competitors for Pepsico. I will also include Kraft Foods (KFT) for comparison. The table below provides the key metrics for these companies and the industry.
The chart below compares the stock price changes as a percentage for the selected companies and S&P 500 index for the last one year period.
Competitors' Latest Development
- On July 18, 2012, Six Flags Entertainment Corp and The Coca-Cola Co announced a 10-year extension to their partnership agreement, designating Coca-Cola as Six Flags' Official Beverage Sponsor for all domestic parks.
- On July 10, 2012, the shareowners of The Coca-Cola Company approved a two-for-one stock split and an increase from 5.6 billion to 11.2 billion in the number of authorized shares of the Company's common stock.
- On June 21, 2012, Reuters reported that The Coca-Cola Co has signed a deal with Fair Oaks Farms Brands to distribute the Core Power range of high-protein energy drinks in the United States, as the soft drink giant moves into the dairy products market.
- On June 5, 2012, The Coca-Cola Company, Ford Motor Company, H.J. Heinz Company, NIKE, Inc. and Procter & Gamble announced the formation of the Plant PET Technology Collaborative (PTC), a strategic working group focused on accelerating the development and use of 100% plant-based PET materials and fiber in their products.
- On May 18, 2012, Reuters reported that U.S. appeals court on Thursday revived part of a lawsuit against The Coca-Cola Company in which POM Wonderful LLC accused Coke of falsely advertising its Pomegranate Blueberry juice product.
- On May 1, 2012, Reuters reported that The Coca-Cola Company took the unusual step of shooting down a report on Monday that said it was in talks to buy energy drink maker Monster Beverage Corporation, valued at more than $11 billion.
- On April 25, 2012, Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc announced that it continues to expect fiscal 2012 reported net sales growth near the low end of its long-term 3% to 5% range and Core EPS to be in the $2.90 to $2.98 range.
- On April 18, 2012, SeeNews - The Corporate Wire reported that the shares of Apple Inc, Visa Inc, Intel Corp, The Coca-Cola Company and Bank of America Corp can be traded on the Bucharest bourse as of April 18, 2012.
- On April 18, 2012, The Coca-Cola Company and Spotify announced a multifaceted strategic partnership that combines the global scale and reach of Coca-Cola with Spotify's music technology platform to give consumers around the world unprecedented access to the music they love.
- On April 11, 2012, Bucharest Stock Exchange announced that Apple Inc, Bank of America Corp, Intel Corp, The Coca-Cola Company and Visa Inc will start trading on the alternative trading system of the Bucharest Stock Exchange on April 18, 2012.
- On April 2, 2012, Dunkin' Brands Group Inc, the parent company of Dunkin' Donuts (DD) and Baskin-Robbins (BR), the National DCP, the exclusive supply chain partner for Dunkin' Brands, and The Coca-Cola Company announced a multi-year product and marketing agreement.
- On February 21, 2012, Coca-Cola FEMSA SAB de CV. announced that it has entered into a 12 month exclusivity agreement with The Coca-Cola Company to evaluate the potential acquisition of a controlling ownership stake in the bottling operations owned by The Coca-Cola Company in the Philippines.
- On February 16, 2012, The Coca-Cola Company announced that the Board of Directors has approved the Company's annual dividend increase, raising the quarterly dividend 8.5% from $0.47 to $0.51 per common share.
- On February 15, 2012, Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects reported net sales growth near the low end of its long-term 3% to 5% range and diluted earnings per share (EPS) to be in the $2.90 to $2.98 range, excluding the impact of commodity mark to market gains and losses.
- On February 8, 2012, Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc announced that its Board of Directors declared a quarterly dividend of $0.34 per share on the Company's common stock a 6.3% increase in the dividend rate.
The stock has a market capitalization of $109.41B and is currently trading at $69.96 with a 52 week range of $58.50 - $70.89. The stock's year-to-date performance has been 7.13%. It is currently trading above 20, 50 and 200 SMA. It has been trading in an uptrend since October 2011 with a correction in March 2012.
Sources: Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, Marketwatch, Finviz, Reuters.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.