JetBlue (JBLU) is due with its Q2 results in the pre-market on Wednesday, July 25, and analysts polled by Capital IQ expect the company to report profit of $0.16 per share on revenue of $1.28 billion.
In looking back at the last six years of performance between the sessions, JBLU is mixed in its performance between the sessions, recording narrower follow-on regular session percentage trade on the heels of 12 of its last 24 earnings-driven pre-market moves.
Looking deeper into the data on this volatile post-earnings mover, longs will note the stock has advanced in response to earnings 16 times, extending that move in just five examples. Of its seven post-earnings declines, the stock has continued that move three times. One recent event includes flat pre-market trade followed by a regular session gain.
- On April 26, 2012, JBLU edged up 0.2% in pre-bell action after beating Q1 estimates. The stock maintained the same 0.2% gain by the closing bell that day.
- On Jan. 26, 2012, JBLU advanced 2.7% in pre-market trade after beating Q4 expectations. The stock firmed higher in that day's regular session, ending up 4.1%.
- On Oct. 26, 2011, JBLU was flat in pre-bell action after missing Q3 earnings by a penny and meeting on revenue. The stock closed that day's regular session up 1.3%.
- On July 26, 2011, the stock eased 0.9% in pre-market action after an earnings report that missed with earnings, just beat with revenue. Shares plunged 8.5% during regular trading that day.
- On April 21, 2011, the stock advanced 3% in the pre-market session after initially falling when it met Q3 earnings estimate0s. Shares fell 1.9% during regular trading that day.
- In the January 27, 2011, pre-market, JBLU fell 2.9% after reporting a Q4 miss. Stocks fell 1.2% during regular trading that day.
- On Oct. 21, 2010, JBLU gained 2.4% in pre-bell trade after posting a year-over-year increase in Q3 results. The stock reversed sharply in that day's regular session, ending down 4.7%.
- On July 22, 2010, JBLU gained 2.7% in pre-market trade after beating earnings expectations. The stock climbed higher in that day's regular session, ending up 8.5%.
- On April 28, 2010, JBLU declined 3.9% in pre-market trade after missing Q1 expectations. The stock was hammered lower in that day's regular session, closing down 11.5%.
- On Jan. 28, 2010, the stock was up 0.9% after a narrow Q4 beat. Shares fell 7.9% the next day.
- On Oct. 22, 2009, JBLU eked out a 0.1% advance in pre-market trade after topping revenue expectations. It lost that gain the following regular session, ending down 2.2%.
- On July 23, 2009, JBLU advanced 3.5% in pre-market trade after beating Q2 profit expectations. The stock lost some of its upside in the follow-on regular session, ending the day up 2.9%.
- On April 23, 2009, the stock advanced 7.5% in pre-market trading after JBLU beat by a nickel. The stock closed the following regular session up 1.2%.
- On Jan. 29, 2009, the stock fell 3.2% after the company swings to a loss with a charge but revenue beats. Shares fell a slimmer 2.7% the next day.
- On Oct. 23, 2008, JBLU edged down 0.2% in pre-market trade after swinging to a loss on higher revenue. The stock rebounded to a slim 0.2% gain by the Oct. 23 regular session close.
- On July 22, 2008, JBLU advanced 7.7% in pre-market trade after recording a Q2 loss that was narrower than expectations. The stock surged in that day's regular session, advancing 15.6% by the closing bell.
- On April 22, 2008, JBLU gained 1.8% after coming in with Q1 results ahead of the Street view. It lost that gain into the April 22 regular session, declining 5.6% by the closing bell.
- On Jan. 29, 2008, JBLU gained 6.4% in pre-market trade after reporting Q4 results ahead of expectations. It soared in the Jan. 29 regular session, rising 20.2% by the closing bell.
- On Oct. 23, 2007, JBLU firmed 4.2% in pre-market trade after topping Q3 earnings expectations. It edged back just a bit in the following regular session, closing bell-to-bell trade up a more modest 4%.
- On July 24, 2007, the stock edged down 0.4% in the pre-market session despite reporting results that were improved from the same period a year earlier. The loss was a deeper 2.5% by the closing bell later that day.
- On April 24, 2007, JBLU edged up just 0.1% in pre-market trade after reporting higher year-over-year revenue and a narrower loss. It slipped into the red in the regular session, declining 2.5% by the close.
- On Jan. 30, 2007, JBLU shed 2.6% in pre-bell action after the company topped Q4 sales estimates but missed earnings by a penny. The stock lost 4.5% in that day's regular session.
- On Oct. 24, 2006, JBLU advanced 2.3% in pre-bell trade after the company posted results in-line with Street estimates. The stock continued to advance between the bells, rising 4.7% by the close.
- On July 25, 2006, JBLU was hit for a 4.2% decline in pre-market trade despite topping Street estimates. It fattened that downside to a 6.3% slide by the day's end.
- On April 25, 2006, JBLU gained 3.8% ahead of the open after the company reported a narrower-than-expected loss. The stock surged even higher in the regular session, rising 13.1% by the closing bell.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.