In this article I will recap the historical results of the company, its latest EPS estimates vs. surprises, Waste Management's latest news, and the news from its closest competitors.
Recent EPS -- Actual vs. Estimates
In the last quarter the company reported $0.38 EPS, failing to meet analyst estimates of $0.40.
The consensus EPS estimate is $0.53 based on nine analysts' estimates, up from $0.50 a year ago. Revenue estimates are $3.52 billion, up from $3.35 billion a year ago. The median target price by analysts for the stock is $35.00.
Average Recommendation: Hold
Analyst Upgrades and Downgrades
- On May 22, 2012, BB&T Capital initiated a Hold rating on the company.
- On July 5, 2012, Waste Management announced that James C. Fish, Jr., senior vice president of the Eastern Group, will become executive vice president and CFO upon completion of financial reporting for the second quarter.
- On June 6, 2012, Waste Management announced a program to provide a total stormwater management offering to U.S. municipalities in the form of public-private strategic alliances. The company, in collaboration with AbTech Holdings (OTCQB:ABHD), an environmental technologies and engineering firm specializing in addressing water contamination issues, will team up with municipalities to design, build, operate, and service stormwater infrastructure.
- On May 11, 2012, Waste Management announced plans to expand its fleet of natural gas-powered collection vehicles in the Houston area and open a new compressed natural gas fueling station in Conroe that will increase access to the clean-burning fuel.
- On April 26, 2012, Waste Management announced that it expects to achieve fiscal 2012 adjusted earnings per diluted share of between $2.22 and $2.30. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts on an average were expecting the company to report EPS of $2.24 for fiscal 2012.
- On Feb. 16, 2012, Waste Management announced its intention to increase its dividend to $1.42 per share on an annual basis, at an approximate cost of $665 million.
The stock has a market capitalization of $15.38 billion and was recently trading at $33.33, with a 52-week range of $27.75-$36.85. The stock's year-to-date performance has been 3.75%. It is currently trading above 20-, 50- and 200-day SMAs.
Data sourced from Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, MarketWatch, Finviz, and Reuters.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.