Seagate Technology (STX) plays well in either direction off its earnings-driven after-hours trade, offering a good chance of success on the long or short side.
STX gives a nod to wider next day moves, which it's shown in 21 of the last 31 quarters, or 68% of the time.
STX has seen an earnings-driven extended-hours advance in 14 of the 31 quarters we've tracked, and in nine of those events the gain was expanded in next-day trade, or 64% of the time.
On the downside, STX has recorded an extended-hours earnings-driven decline in 17 of the quarters we've followed. Of that number, the stock has 12 times, or 70% of the time, posted a deeper move into the red in the following day's regular session.
Seagate Technology is due with its Q4 results in the extended-hours tonight, and analysts polled by Capital IQ expect the company to report earnings of $2.53 per share on revenue of $4.54 billion.
- On April 17, 2012, STX gained 1.8% in night trade after topping Q3 expectations. The stock firmed higher in the next day's regular session, ending up 3.8% on April 18.
- On Jan. 31, 2012, STX advanced 5% in evening trade after beating Q2 estimates. The stock soared the following day, closing the Feb. 1 regular session up 20.7%.
- On Oct. 20, 2011, STX surged 10.6% in after-hours trade after topping Q1 earnings estimates. The stock moved higher the next day, rising 27.8% in the Oct. 21 regular session.
- On July 20, 2011, STX tumbled 13.3% in night trade despite beating Q4 estimates. The stock was hit for sharper declines in the July 21 regular session, ending down 16.8%.
- On April 19, 2011, STX edged up 0.9% in pre-bell trade after reporting mixed results and announcing Samsung taking a stake in the company. It cut its thin gain in that day's regular session, ending up 0.5%.
- On January 19, 2011, the stock fell 4.6% after reporting most in line with Q2 earnings. Shares fell a wider 5.8% the next day.
- On Oct. 20, 2010, the stock eased 0.07% in after-hours trading following a Q1 miss. Shares rebounded to post a slim 0.1% gain the next day.
- On July 20, 2010, the stock fell 2.2% after a Q4 miss. Shares dropped a steep 9.5% during regular trading.
- On April 20, 2010, STX gained 2.4% in night trade after meeting revenue expectations and beating on earnings. It saw the gain slim the following day, closing the April 21 regular session up 1%.
- On Jan. 20, 2010, the stock jumped 10.8% in extended-hours trading after a revenue beat. Shares rose a slightly slimmer 9.7% the next day.
- On Oct. 20, 2009, the stock fell 1.9% despite a revenue beat. Shares dropped 2.3% the next day.
- On July 21, 2009, the stock gained 3.7% during evening trading following a revenue beat. The gain increased to 5.8% the next day.
- On April 21, 2009, the stock dropped 1% despite a revenue beat. Shares advanced 7.2% the next day, however.
- On Jan. 21, 2009, the stock fell 4.4% after a dividend cut and Q3 earnings beat. Shares plunged 24% during regular trading the next day.
- On Oct. 22, 2008, STX dropped 8.1% during evening trading after reporting shy with revenue and issuing disappointing guidance. The loss expanded slightly, to 11.8% the next day.
- On July 15, 2008, the stock fell 9.8% after guiding below the Street. The loss fattened to 15.5% the next day.
- On April 15, 2008, the stock fell 1.3% during evening trading after reporting a revenue miss and guiding below the Street for Q4. The loss expanded to 5.5% the next day.
- On Jan. 17, 2008, the stock fell 3.9% in extended-hours trading after STX beat by a penny and guided mostly in line. The loss swelled to 8.8% the next day.
- On Oct. 16, 2007, the stock gained 1.1% during evening hours after STX beats with Q1 and guides above the Street. The gain expanded to 2.1% by the closing bell the next day.
- On July 19, 2007, the stock gained 1.5% in the the evening hours after the company reported ahead with revenue and set guidance. The gain improved to 2.1% by the closing bell the next day.
- On April 17, 2007, STX declined 5.8% in after-hours trade after the company missed earnings estimates and cut its outlook. It narrowed its downside the next day, closing the April 18 regular session down 3.8%.
- On Jan. 23, 2007, the stock gained 3.9% in the evening session after reporting ahead of the Street with Q2 results and guiding to beat. The gain swelled to 8.2% the next day.
- On Oct. 24, 2006, STX firmed 3.6% in the evening hours following a report that showed the company ahead with Q1 figures. The gain expanded to 6.1% the next day.
- On Aug. 8, 2006, STX lost 4.7% in after-hours trade after the company the company reported weaker-than-expected earnings. Some of that decline narrowed the next day as STX closed the Aug. 9 regular session down 3.6%.
- On April 18, 2006, STX shed 4.6% in evening action on the heels of better-than-expected results but guidance that was in-line to lower than estimates. The stock ended the April 19 regular session off 6.4%.
- On Jan. 18, 2006, STX was up 7.7% after reporting EPS and revenue ahead of the Street's view. It also guided for Q3 and the full year above analysts' expectations. The gain was reined in to 6.8% the next day.
- On October 18, 2005, STX slipped 0.06% after missing Q1 sales estimates and guiding Q2 below expectations. Shares widened their losses the next day, ending the regular-hours session down 2.3%.
- On July 19, 2005 STX dropped 2.3% after beating Q4 expectations. STX narrowed its losses, ending the day session down 1.9%.
- On April 19, 2005 STX jumped 3.5% in after-hours trade after the company beat expectations. It added modestly to its upside the next day, rising 3.7% by the April 20 regular session close.
- On Jan. 18, 2005 STX edged down 0.2% after beating estimates and guiding higher. Despite the positive news, the stock continued its downward trend on Jan. 19, losing 6.1% between the bells.
- On Oct. 19, 2004 STX advanced 1.2% in night trade after topping the Street view. Those gains sputtered out on Oct. 20 as STX lost 3.6% in regular session trade.