Texas Roadhouse (TXRH) is expected to report Q2 results after the close. The company is seen earning $0.24 per share on sales of $321 million, according to the mean estimate of the analysts polled by Capital IQ.
TXRH favors a widening trend in its movement between the after-hours market and the next day's session following an evening earnings event. In the data MidnightTrader has collected, shares have widened 13 times, reversed nine times, and recorded three events where flat evening trade was followed by next day regular session gains.
Looking deeper into the performance data, TXRH has recorded an earnings-driven after-hours gain in 11 quarters tracked in our database. In eight of those quarters, or about 73% of the time, the stock added to its evening gains by the following day's regular session close.
On the downside, TXRH recorded earnings-driven after-hours declines in 11 quarters, adding to its negative performance the following day in five of those events, or 45% of the time.
- On April 30, 2012, TXRH advanced 2.5% in night trade after beating on Q1 revenue. The stock firmed higher the next day, advancing 7.6% by the close on May 1.
- On Feb. 21, 2012, TXRH firmed 7.3% in evening trade on the back of better-than-expected Q4 results and the announcement of a stock buyback. The shares narrowed the upside the following day, ending the Feb. 22 regular session up 6.7%.
- On Nov. 1, 2011, TXRH was flat in after-hours trade after beating Q3 results and raising its outlook. The stock edged just higher the next day, closing the Nov. 2 regular session up 0.2%.
- On Aug. 1, 2011, the stock fell 9.7% in evening action after a narrow Q2 earnings miss. Shares fell a slightly slimmer 7.5% the next day.
- On May 2, 2011, TXRH dropped 3.5% in evening trade after posting mixed Q1 results. The stock narrowed its declines modestly the next day, closing the May 3 regular session off 2.8%.
- On Feb. 22, 2011, TXRH declined 4% in after-hours trade after missing Q4 EPS estimates and meeting on revenue. The stock narrowed its downside slightly the following day, closing the Feb. 23 regular session off 3.6%.
- On Nov. 1, 2010, TXRH ended evening trade flat after beating Q3 estimates and setting its 2010 EPS growth forecast at the high end of the company's range. The stock found upside footing in the Nov. 2 regular session, gaining 2% by that day's close.
- On August 2, 2010, the stock edged up 0.7% after the company beat with earnings and met the Street's view with revenue. Shares rose a slimmer 0.5% the next day.
- On May 3, 2010, TXRH slid 2.5% in after-hours trade despite beating Q1 expectations. The stock added to its declines in the May 4 regular session, ending down 4.4%.
- TXRH ended the Feb. 22, 2010 after-hours session flat after beating earnings expectations and meeting on revenue. The stock firmed to the plus-side the following day, closing the Feb. 23 regular session up 6.6%.
- On Nov. 2, 2009, the stock gained 5.9% after a Q3 beat. Shares jumped 16.7% the next day.
- On Aug. 3, 2009, TXRH edged 0.2% lower after posting Q2 results down from year ago levels. The stock added to its downside the following day, ending the Aug. 4 regular session down 6.5%.
- On May 4, 2009, TXRH advanced 3.3% in evening trade after the company beat earnings expectations and met the Street's revenue view. The stock churned higher the following day, ending the May 5 regular session up 7.6%.
- On Feb. 23, 2009, the stock fell 3.5% after meeting with Q4 earnings. Shares fell 5.5% the next day.
- On Oct. 27, 2008, TXRH declined 4.6% in night trade on the back of disappointing results and guidance. It narrowed that decline slightly the next day, closing the Oct. 28 regular session down 3.7%
- On July 28, 2008, the stock gained 3% in extended-hours trading after TXRH beat with Q2. The gain more than doubled the next day and shares closed up 7.8%.
- On April 28, 2008, TXRH firmed 5.7% in night trade after topping earnings expectations. The stock jumped higher the next day, rising 12.3% by the closing bell.
- On Feb. 19, 2008, TXRH declined 15.1% in after-hours trade after missing Q4 expectations. It cut back its downside the following day, ending the Feb. 20 regular session down 6.6%.
- On Oct. 29, 2007, TXRH firmed 12.3% in after-hours trade after just beating on Q3 sales expectations and setting guidance mostly to match the Street. The stock headed even higher in the Oct. 30 regular session, ending the day up 15.5%.
- On July 30, 2007, the stock fell 4.8% in the evening hours after reporting revs up over the year-ago period but flat earnings. The stock was down 5.5% the next day.
- On April 30, 2007, the stock was up 5.9% in the evening hours after TXRH reported ahead of the Street with Q1 earnings. The stock gained a slimmer 3.7% the next day.
- On February 20, 2007, TXRH edged up 2.9% in evening trade after topping Q4 EPS estimates and guiding for FY07 EPS to meet or beat Street views. Shares soared the next day, ending the regular session up 10.7%.
- On October 30, 2006, TXRH inched up 0.07% in after hours when the company beat Q3 estimates. The shares added just slightly to those gains the following day, closing the regular session up 0.7%.
- On July 31, 2006, TXRH lost 2.5% in night trade after missing Q2 sales estimates. Shares lost more ground the next day, ending the day session down 7.4%.
- On May 1, 2006, the company beat Q1 sales estimates after the bell but there no data recorded. The next day, there were also no data logged.
- On February 21, 2006, shares dropped 2.7% after missing Q4 and FY estimates in the after market. However, shares regained their footing the next day, ending the day session up 1.6%.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.