Dominion Resources, Inc. (D) is scheduled to report its Q2 2012 results on August 1, 2012, before market opens. The street expects EPS and revenue of $0.60 and $2.96B, respectively.
In this article I will recap the historical results of the company, its latest EPS estimates vs. surprises, the latest news from D and the news from its closest competitors.
Recent EPS Actuals vs. Estimates
The company has failed to meet analysts' estimates in the last two quarters. In the last quarter it reported $0.85 EPS, failing to meet analyst estimates of $0.87.
The consensus EPS estimate is $0.60 based on 14 analysts' estimates, just above from $0.59 a year ago. Revenue estimates are $2.96B, down from $3.34B a year ago. The median target price by analysts for the stock is $54.00.
Average recommendation: Hold
- On May 8, 2012, Dominion announced that its Board of Directors has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.5275 per share of common stock. Dividends are payable on June 20, 2012, to shareholders of record June 1, 2012.
- On April 26, 2012, Dominion announced that it expects second quarter 2012 operating earnings in the range of $0.55 per share to $0.65 per share. Operating earnings guidance for fiscal 2012 remains at $3.10 to $3.35 per share.
American Electric Power (AEP), CenterPoint Energy (CNP), Exelon Corporation (EXC), NiSource (NI), and Public Service Enterprise Group (PEG) are competitors for Dominion Resources and the table below provides the key metrics for these companies and the industry.
The chart below compares the stock price changes as a percentage for the selected companies for the last one year period.
D data by YCharts
Competitors' Latest Development
- On July 25, 2012, Exelon Corp announced that it has declared a regular quarterly dividend of $0.525 per share on Exelon's common stock. The dividend is payable on Sept.
- On July 20, 2012, American Electric Power announced that earnings guidance for fiscal 2012 remains suspended because of the ongoing Ohio regulatory proceedings. The Company's earnings performance was strong for the first half of 2012, but it faces challenges for the remainder of the year, including customer switching in Ohio.
- On July 17, 2012, Public Service Enterprise Group Inc.announced that it has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.355 per share of common stock for the third quarter of 2012.
- On July 12, 2012, Exelon Corp's Constellation announced it has renewed and extended for two years an agreement to supply competitively priced electricity to the state of New Jersey.
- On June 19, 2012, Martin Midstream Partners LP announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to sell its East Texas and Northwest Louisiana natural gas gathering and processing assets owned by Prism Gas Systems I, L.P., a wholly owned subsidiary of MMLP, and certain other natural gas gathering and processing assets also owned by the Partnership to CenterPoint Energy Field Services, LLC (CEFS), an indirect, wholly owned subsidiary of CenterPoint Energy Inc for $275 million subject.
- On June 14, 2012, Exelon Corp announced that Marshall County and Toluca, Ill. have chosen Constellation, a longtime competitive energy provider in Illinois with 1 million customers nationwide, to supply residents with low-cost hydroelectric energy following a competitive bidding process under the state`s electricity choice aggregation program.
- On June 14, 2012, NiSource Inc announced that its finance subsidiary, NiSource Finance Corp., completed the sale of $250 million aggregate principal amount of 3.85% Notes due February 15, 2023, and $500 million aggregate principal amount of 5.25% Notes due February 15, 2043, in an underwritten public offering.
- On May 3, 2012, CenterPoint Energy Inc reaffirmed its estimate for fiscal 2012 earnings and expects earnings on a guidance basis to be in the range of $1.08 to $1.20 per diluted share (EPS).
- On May 2, 2012, Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. announced that it continue to forecast operating earnings for fiscal 2012 of $2.25-$2.50 per share. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts on an average are expecting the Company to report EPS of $2.34 for fiscal 2012.
- On May 1, 2012, NiSource Inc announced that it expects to deliver fiscal 2012 net operating earnings (non-GAAP) within a range of $1.40 to $1.50 per share. According to I/B/E/S estimates, analysts are expecting the Company to report EPS of $1.45 for fiscal 2012.
- On April 27, 2012, CenterPoint Energy Inc announced that the Board of Directors declared a regular quarterly cash dividend of $0.2025 per share of common stock payable on June 8, 2012, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on May 16, 2012.
- On April 20, 2012, American Electric Power announced that its focus on the growth aspects and repositioning the Company around transmission and other growth areas will be significant.
- On April 17, 2012, Public Service Enterprise Group Inc announced that board of directors of Public Service Enterprise Group has declared a quarterly dividend of 35.50 cents per share of common stock for the second quarter of 2012.
- On March 23, 2012, Exelon Corp's Constellation Energy announced that it has been awarded a new General Services Administration (GSA) electricity supply contract for 17 federal buildings in California, including the Court of Appeals building in San Francisco.
- On March 12, 2012, Exelon Corp and Constellation Energy announced that they have completed their merger, effective immediately. Upon the closing of the merger, Christopher M. Crane became president and Chief Executive Officer of the combined company, and Mayo A. Shattuck III became executive chairman.
- On March 8, 2012, American Electric Power announced that its unregulated subsidiary AEP Retail Energy has completed the acquisition of BlueStar Energy Holdings Inc. and its independent retail electric supplier BlueStar Energy Solutions.
- On February 23, 2012, Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects operating earnings per share to be in the range of $2.25-$2.50. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts on an average are expecting the Company to report EPS of $2.43 for fiscal 2012.
- On February 21, 2012, Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. announced that the Board increased the quarterly dividend to $0.355 per share, a 3.6% increase over the company's existing quarterly dividend rate of $0.3425 per share.
- On February 10, 2012, American Electric Power announced that earnings range for fiscal 2012 will be in the range of $3.05-$3.25 per share with a midpoint of $3.15. Earnings growth will be in the range of 4% to 6% supported by the rate-based growth of the regulated companies.
- On February 1, 2012, NiSource Inc announced that it expects to deliver fiscal 2012 net operating earnings (non-GAAP) within a range of $1.40 to $1.50 per share. According to I/B/E/S estimates, analysts are expecting the Company to report EPS of $1.45 for fiscal 2012.
The stock has a market capitalization of $31.42B and is currently trading at $54.97 with a 52 week range of $44.50 - $55.17. The stock's year-to-date performance has been 5.71%. It is currently trading above 20, 50 and 200 SMA.
Sources: Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, Marketwatch, Finviz, Reuters.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.