Walt Disney (DIS) is due with its Q3 results in the extended-hours session today. Analysts are expecting a profit of $0.93 per share on revenue of $11.31 billion, according to the Thomson Reuters survey.
DIS favors follow-on widening with its share performance between the sessions, adding to its evening performance in next-day trade in 19 of its last 32 earnings events. The near-term performance favors widening, doing so in six of the last seven quarters. For one event of the 32 we had no data recorded.
Looking deeper into the performance data, DIS has recorded an earnings-driven after-hours gain in 16 of the quarters we've tracked, adding to its evening performance in next-day trade in 11 events, or 69% of the time. On the downside, DIS has declined 15 quarters tracked in our database, widening its negative trade in next-day action in nine quarters, or 60% of the time.
Here's the historical performance data:
- On May 8, 2012, DIS edged up 1.2% after topping Q2 expectations. The stock added modestly to its gains the next day, closing the May 9 regular session up 1.6%.
- On Feb. 7, 2012, DIS dipped 0.8% in after-hours trade after beating on Q1 earnings but missing on revenue. The stock reversed direction the next day, ending up a modest 0.7% in the Feb. 8 regular session.
- On Nov. 11, 2011, DIS gained 2.1% in evening trade after beating Q4 expectations. The stock surged north the next day, ending the Nov. 12 regular session up 5.9%.
- On Aug. 9, 2011, DIS dipped 1.9% in after-hours trade after topping Q3 estimates. The stock saw its declines expand the next day, ending the Aug. 10 regular session don 9.1%.
- On May 10, 2011, DIS declined 2.8% In evening trade after reporting a year-over-year increase in Q2 results but coming in shy of expectations. The stock fell further the next day, closing the May 11 regular session down 5.4%.
- On Feb. 8, 2011, DIS advanced 3.4% in after-hours trade after beating Q1 expectations. The stock firmed higher the following day, closing the Feb. 9 regular session up 5.3%.
- On Nov. 11, 2010, DIS gained 1.7% in evening trade after missing Q4 expectations. The after-hours gain followed a 4% regular session decline as DIS issued its quarterly report just ahead of the closing bell. The stock firmed higher in the Nov. 12 regular session, ending up 5%.
- On Aug. 10, 2010, DIS gained 1.4% in evening trade after beating Q3 expectations. The stock lost its upside the following day, closing the Aug. 11 regular session down 3%.
- On May 11, 2010, DIS declined 3.1% in after-hours trade despite beating Q2 expectations. The stock cut its downside the following day, closing the May 12 regular session down 1.7%.
- On Feb. 9, 2010, the stock managed a slim 0.5% evening gain in response to an earnings beat. Shares rose a slightly firmer 0.6% the next day.
- On Nov. 12, 2009, DIS gained 2% in after-hours trade after beating Q4 expectations. The stock headed higher the following day, ending the Nov. 13 regular session up 4.7%.
- On July 30, 2009, DIS declined 3.5% In after-hours trade after reporting Q3 revenue shy of expectations. The stock slipped deeper in the red the next day, ending the July 31 regular session down 4.2%.
- On May 5, 2009, DIS advanced 3.6% in evening action after beating earnings expectations. The stock continued to advance in the May 6 regular session, rising 11.7% by the closing bell.
- On Feb. 3, 2009, the stock fell 7% after earnings decline from the year-ago period. The stock fell 7.8% the next day.
- On Nov. 6, 2008, the stock fell 4.4% in the extended-hours period after a Q4 earnings miss. Shares rebounded to close up 2.4% the next day.
- On July 30, 2008, the stock fell 2.2% during evening trading after a narrow quarterly beat. Shares rebounded to close up 4.2% the next day.
- On May 6, 2008, the stock gained 2.7% during evening trading after the company reported ahead of the Street with Q2 results. The gain increased just slightly the next day, when shares ended up 2.8%.
- On Feb. 5, 2008, DIS shares were up 5.8% in after-hours action following better-than-expected Q1 results. Traders scaled back the gains the next day, but the stock still stuck to a firm rise, up 4.7%.
- On Nov. 8, 2007, the stock fell 1.3% during evening trading after DIS topped with EPS but missed with revenue. The stock fell a deeper 2.6% the next day.
- On Aug. 1, 2007, the stock slipped 0.1% in evening trading as EPS top but revs in line. The stock rebounded to gain 1.5% the next day.
- On May 8, 2007, the stock fell 2% in the evening hours after topping with EPS though missing with revenue. The loss was a trimmer 1.1% the next day.
- On Feb. 7, 2007, DIS edged up 1.8% in night trade after beating Q1 expectations. However, shares couldn't hold onto its nighttime gains and ended the next day's regular session down 0.5%.
- On November 9, 2006, DIS eased 2.3% in after-hours despite beating Q4 estimates. The shares slipped further the next day, closing the regular session down 3.5%.
- On August 8, 2006, DIS gained 3.1% in pre-market trade after Q3 results improved from a year ago. However, it lost that strength and ended the regular session down 0.5%.
- On May 9, 2006, shares were up 1.7% in night trading after the company reported ahead of the Street with EPS but shy with revenues. Shares gained 1.8% the next day.
- On Feb. 6, 2006, shares were up 1.9% following a post-bell earnings release that showed results above the year-ago quarter. The gain swelled to 6.9% the next day.
- On Nov. 17, 2005, the stock price fell 2.5% on word the company earned $0.20 per share, better than the FC mean of $0.18 per share, but Q4 revs were $7.7 billion, vs. the FC mean of $7.87 billion. Shares fell 3% the next day.
- On Aug. 9, 2005, DIS slipped 1.4% in after-hours trading despite reporting Q3 EPS that topped the Street view by 3 cents. It widened its downside in the Aug. 10 regular session, falling 2.5%.
- The company reported its Q2 results in late afternoon regular session trade on May 11, 2005, and the resulting bell-to-bell influence on the stock has us not including that quarter's data and stock movement in our history.
- On Jan. 31, 2005 DIS clawed its way to a 0.1% rise in after-hours trade after the company beat expectations. It managed a 0.5% rise by the closing bell on Feb. 1.
- On Nov. 18, 2004 DIS advanced 1.5% in evening action after reporting results up over year ago levels. It cut back those evening gains modestly the next day, ending the Nov. 19 regular session up 1.1%.
- On Aug. 10, 2004 DIS slipped 0.4% in night trade after beating by two cents and topping revenue expectations. The numbers failed to inspire any next-day follow-on activity by the bulls, and the issue eventually dropped 2.9% by the Aug. 11 bell-to-bell close.