Roundy's, Inc. (NYSE:RNDY) is scheduled to report its Q2 2012 results on Thursday, August 9, 2012, after the bell. The Street expects EPS and revenue of $0.43 and $998.13M, respectively.
In this article, I will recap the historical results of the company, its latest EPS estimates vs. surprises, the latest news from Roundy's and the news from its closest competitors.
Recent EPS Actuals vs. Estimates
In the last quarter, Roundy's reported $0.28 EPS, beating analysts' estimates of $0.26.
The consensus EPS estimate is $0.43 based on 5 analysts' estimates. Revenue estimates are $998.13M. Analysts' median target price for the stock is $11.00.
Average recommendation: Overweight
Analyst Upgrades and Downgrades
- On May 10, 2012, Robert W. Baird downgraded the company from Outperform to Neutral.
- On June 19, 2012, Roundy`s, Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects sales growth of 2.5%-3.5%, same store sales growth of (1.5%) to (0.5%), adjusted EBITDA of $215-$223 million and earnings per share (NYSEARCA:EPS) in the range of $1.30-$1.42. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts are expecting the company to report revenue of $3.956 billion, EBITDA of $216 million and EPS of $1.35 for fiscal 2012.
- On May 17, 2012, Roundy`s, Inc announced that its Board of Directors has approved the payment of a quarterly cash dividend. The quarterly cash dividend of $0.23 per share will be paid on June 5, 2012, to stockholders of record as of the close of business on May 29, 2012.
- On May 10, 2012, Roundy`s, Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects sales growth of 2.5%-3.5%, same store sales growth of (1.5%) to (0.5%), adjusted EBITDA of $215-$223 million and earnings per share in the range of $1.11-$1.22.
- On April 24, 2012, Roundy`s, Inc. announced that it reiterated its intention to initiate a quarterly dividend. Subject to declaration by its Board of Directors, the company expects to initiate a quarterly dividend of approximately $0.23 per share on all outstanding shares of common stock during its second fiscal quarter, and sometime after the filing of its Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2012.
- On March 1, 2012, Roundy's Parent Company Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects sales growth of 2.5%-3.5%, same store sales growth of (1.0%) to breakeven percent, adjusted EBITDA of $223-$227 million and earnings per share in the range of $1.16-$1.21.
- On February 8, 2012, Roundy's Parent Company Inc. announced the pricing of its initial public offering of 19,181,818 shares of common stock at a price of $8.50 per share. The shares will be listed on the New York Stock Exchange and will trade under the symbol RNDY beginning February 8, 2012.
Costco (NASDAQ:COST), SUPERVALU (NYSE:SVU), Target (NYSE:TGT), Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM), and Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) are peers for comparison for Roundy's, and the table below provides the key metrics for these companies and the industry:
The chart below compares the stock price changes as a percentage for the selected companies for the last one year period:
Competitors' Latest Developments
- On July 30, 2012, SUPERVALU Inc announced that Wayne C. Sales has been named President And Chief Executive Officer, replacing Craig R. Herkert. Sales will continue to serve as chairman of the Board.
- On July 25, 2012, Whole Foods Market, Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it is raising its diluted earnings per share outlook to $2.51 to $2.52. For fiscal 2013, it expects sales growth approximately in line with fiscal 2012, comps of 6.5% to 8.5%, idents of 6.0% to 8.0%, and diluted earnings per share of $2.83 to $2.87. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts are expecting the Company to report revenue of EPS of $2.47 for fiscal 2012; revenue of $13.13 billion and EPS of $2.83 for fiscal 2013.
- On July 11, 2012, SUPERVALU, Inc. announced that it expects business transformation to meet the customers' demands of lower prices and the company intends to do this while remaining profitable, continuing to pay down debt and investing the capital to maintain and enhance its stores and related assets.
- On July 11, 2012, SUPERVALU, Inc. announced that, in conjunction with its financial advisors, Goldman Sachs and Greenhill & Co., it has initiated a review of strategic alternatives to create value for the company's shareholders.
- On July 5, 2012, Target Corp. announced that, combined with the outlook for July, the company is on track to deliver second quarter sales and adjusted earnings per share in line with the guidance provided at the time of first quarter earnings release.
- On June 15, 2012, Controladora Comercial Mexicana SAB de CV announced that it has reached an agreement to sell its entire stake in Costco de Mexico SA de CV to Costco Wholesale Corp at a total value of MXN 10,650 million.
- On June 13, 2012, Target Corp. announced that its Board of Directors has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.36 per common share. The dividend is payable September 10, 2012 to shareholders of record at the close of business August 15, 2012.
- On June 13, 2012, Whole Foods Market, Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects sales growth of about 13%, EBITDA of over $1 billion and earnings per share growth of 23% to 25%. The company reported EPS of $1.93 in fiscal 2011.
- On June 12, 2012, The Economic Times reported that Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. plans to snap ties with companies that supply products to its stores if they are involved in any kind of corrupt practices, making it the first retail company to undertake such a stringent initiative in India.
- On June 11, 2012, Reuters reported that New York City's pension funds became the latest group to file a derivative lawsuit against Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. based on reported allegations of bribery in Mexico and a possible cover-up by Wal-Mart officials.
- On June 6, 2012, Albertsons' Southern California division, a subsidiary of SUPERVALU, Inc. announced plans to reduce its store-level workforce by an estimated 2,200-2,500 positions.
- On May 17, 2012, Wal-Mart Stores Inc announced that, for second quarter of 2013, it expects diluted earnings per share from continuing operations to range between $1.13 and $1.18. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts are expecting the company to report EPS of $1.16 for second quarter of 2013.
- On May 16, 2012, Target Corp. announced that for the second quarter of 2012, it expects adjusted EPS of $1.04 to $1.14 and GAAP EPS of $0.94 to $1.04. For fiscal 2012, the company has raised its guidance by 5 cents and now expects adjusted EPS of $4.60 to $4.80 and GAAP EPS of $4.10 to $4.30. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts were expecting the company to report EPS of $1.00 for the second quarter of 2012; EPS of $4.29 for fiscal 2012.
- On May 8, 2012, Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP announced that a class action suit has been commenced on behalf of an institutional investor in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee on behalf of purchasers of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. common stock during the period between December 8, 2011 and April 20, 2012.
Roundy's has a market capitalization of $443.26M, and is currently trading at $9.81 with a 52 week range of $8.25 - $12.50. The stock's year-to-date performance has been 10.22%. It is currently trading below 20, 50 and 200 SMA.
Sources: Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, Marketwatch, Finviz, Reuters.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.