Sysco Corp. (SYY) is scheduled to report its Q4 2012 results on August 13, 2012, before market opens. The street expects EPS and revenue of $0.54 and $11.05B, respectively.
In this article I will recap the historical results of the company, its latest EPS estimates vs. surprises, the latest news from SYY and the news from its closest competitors.
Recent EPS Actuals vs. Estimates
In the last quarter it reported $0.44 EPS, just beating analyst estimates of $0.43.
The consensus EPS estimate is $0.54 based on 12 analysts' estimates, down from $0.57 a year ago. Revenue estimates are $11.05B, up from $10.43B a year ago. The median target price by analysts for the stock is $28.00.
Average recommendation: Hold
Analyst Upgrades and Downgrades
- On May 18, 2012, SYSCO was downgraded from Equal Weight to Underweight at Barclays.
- On June 12, 2012, SYSCO Corporation announced that it has signed an agreement to acquire Crossgar Foodservice, a privately owned foodservice supplier headquartered in Co Down, Northern Ireland, through its subsidiary, Pallas Foods based in Newcastle West, Co Limerick.
- On April 17, 2012, SYSCO Corporation announced that its board of directors have named Manny Fernandez, currently the Non-Executive Chairman of the Company, as the Company's Executive Chairman, effective immediately.
- On April 11, 2012, SYSCO Corporation announced that Dickey's Barbecue, the barbecue franchise, has signed an exclusive agreement with Sysco Corporation, to provide its franchises with a wide range of foodservice products.
- On February 22, 2012, SYSCO Corporation announced that it has reached an agreement to purchase Chicago-based European Imports, Ltd. The acquisition is expected to be completed in the coming weeks.
Costco (COST), The Kroger (KR), Target (TGT), Whole Foods Market (WFM), and Wal-Mart (WMT) are peers for comparison for Sysco and the table below provides the key metrics for these companies and the industry.
The chart below compares the stock price changes as a percentage for the selected companies for the last one year period.
Competitors' Latest Development
- On July 25, 2012, Whole Foods Market, Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it is raising its diluted earnings per share (EPS) outlook to $2.51 to $2.52. For fiscal 2013, it expects sales growth approximately in line with fiscal 2012, comps of 6.5% to 8.5%, idents of 6.0% to 8.0%, and diluted earnings per share of $2.83 to $2.87. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts are expecting the Company to report revenue of EPS of $2.47 for fiscal 2012; revenue of $13.13 billion and EPS of $2.83 for fiscal 2013.
- On July 6, 2012, Reuters reported that Five big U.S. retailers filed an antitrust lawsuit against Pfizer Inc and India's Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd, accusing them of conspiring to delay sales of generic versions of Lipitor.
- On July 5, 2012, Target Corp. announced that combined with the outlook for July, the Company is on-track to deliver second quarter sales and adjusted earnings per share in line with the guidance provided at the time of first quarter earnings release.
- On June 21, 2012, Kroger Co announced that it has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.115 per share to be paid on September 1, 2012, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on August 15, 2012.
- On June 20, 2012, Kroger Co announced that for second quarter of 2012, it expects earnings per share growth to be in line with long-term growth trend of 6% to 8% and the third and fourth quarters will be higher than that.
- On June 15, 2012, Controladora Comercial Mexicana SAB de CV announced that it has reached an agreement to sell its entire stake in Costco de Mexico SA de CV to Costco Wholesale Corp at a total value of MXN 10,650 million.
- On June 14, 2012, Kroger Co announced that the Board of Directors has approved a $1 billion share repurchase program that replaces the prior authorization, which was exhausted on June 12, 2012.
- On June 13, 2012, Target Corp. announced that its Board of Directors has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.36 per common share. The dividend is payable September 10, 2012 to shareholders of record at the close of business August 15, 2012.
- On June 13, 2012, Whole Foods Market, Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects sales growth of about 13%, EBITDA of over $1 billion and earnings per share growth of 23% to 25%. The Company reported EPS of $1.93 in fiscal 2011.
- On June 12, 2012, The Economic Times reported that Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. plans to snap ties with companies that supply products to its stores if they are involved in any kind of corrupt practices, making it the first retail company to undertake such a stringent initiative in India.
- On June 11, 2012, Reuters reported that New York City's pension funds became the latest group to file a derivative lawsuit against Wal-Mart Stores Inc based on reported allegations of bribery in Mexico and a possible cover-up by Wal-Mart officials.
- On May 17, 2012, Wal-Mart Stores Inc announced that for second quarter of 2013, it expects diluted earnings per share from continuing operations to range between $1.13 and $1.18. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts are expecting the Company to report EPS of $1.16 for second quarter of 2013.
- On May 16, 2012, Kroger Company announced that for fiscal 2012, the Company continues to anticipate identical supermarket sales growth, excluding fuel, of 3% to 3.5%. Fiscal 2012 net earnings are expected to range from $2.28 to $2.38 per diluted share.
- On May 16, 2012, Target Corp. announced that for the second quarter of 2012, it expects adjusted EPS of $1.04 to $1.14 and GAAP EPS of $0.94 to $1.04. For fiscal 2012, the Company has raised its guidance by 5 cents and now expects adjusted EPS of $4.60 to $4.80 and GAAP EPS of $4.10 to $4.30. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts were expecting the Company to report EPS of $1.00 for the second quarter of 2012; EPS of $4.29 for fiscal 2012.
- On May 8, 2012, Robbins Geller Rudman & Dowd LLP announced that a class action has been commenced on behalf of an institutional investor in the United States District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee on behalf of purchasers of Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. common stock during the period between December 8, 2011 and April 20, 2012.
The stock has a market capitalization of $17.06B and is currently trading at $29.13 with a 52 week range of $25.09 - $31.18. The stock's year-to-date performance has been 2.07%. It is currently trading above 20, 50 and 200 SMA.
Sources: Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, Marketwatch, Finviz, Reuters.