Agilent Technologies Inc. (A) is scheduled to report its Q3 2012 results on August 15, 2012, after the bell. The street expects EPS and revenue of $0.83 and $1.79B, respectively.
In this article I will recap the historical results of the company, its latest EPS estimates vs. surprises, the latest news from A and the news from its closest competitors.
Recent EPS Actuals vs. Estimates
In the last four quarters the company has met or beaten analysts' estimates. In the last quarter it reported $0.78 EPS, beating analyst estimates of $0.73.
The consensus EPS estimate is $0.83 based on 17 analysts' estimates, up from $0.77 a year ago. Revenue estimates are $1.79B, up from $1.69B a year ago. The median target price by analysts for the stock is $50.00.
Average recommendation: Buy
- On July 16, 2012, Agilent Technologies, Inc. and AT4 wireless announced that they have signed a definitive agreement for Agilent to acquire the assets of AT4 wireless' Test Systems business.
- On June 21, 2012, Agilent Technologies, Inc. announced that its acquisition of cancer diagnostics company Dako has been completed. Agilent paid $2.2 billion in cash for Dako (on a debt-free basis).
- On May 17, 2012, Agilent Technologies, Inc. announced the execution of a definitive agreement to acquire Dako, the Denmark-based cancer diagnostic company for $2.2 billion.
- On May 17, 2012, Agilent Technologies, Inc. announced that a quarterly dividend of $0.10 per share of common stock will be paid on July 25, 2012 to all shareholders of record as of the close of business on July 3, 2012.
- On May 15, 2012, Agilent Technologies, Inc.'s announced that ADATA Technology Co., has selected Agilent's Advanced Design System (ADS) software for developing memory modules for the high-speed digital market.
- On May 14, 2012, Agilent Technologies, Inc. announced that for the third quarter of 2012, it expects revenues to be in the range of $1.77-$1.79 billion, non-GAAP earnings are expected to be in the range of $0.82-$0.84 per share.
- On April 27, 2012, Agilent Technologies Inc and Centellax announced they have signed a definitive agreement for Agilent to acquire the assets of Centellax's test and measurement business.
- On April 25, 2012, Agilent Technologies, Inc. announced that Comtech EF Data, a subsidiary of Comtech Telecommunications Corp., has selected Advanced Design System software for use in developing RF and microwave circuits for high-performance satellite communications systems.
- On March 28, 2012, Agilent Technologies, Inc. announced that SigmaTron International Inc. has adopted the Agilent i1000D diagnostic test set (DTS) application and the TS-8900 functional test system to reduce the cost of test and increase business.
- On February 22, 2012, Agilent Technologies, Inc. announced that Accelicon Technologies' software solutions and technology for device-level modeling and validation in the electronics industry are now part of Agilent.
- On February 15, 2012, Agilent Technologies, Inc. announced that for the second quarter of 2012, it expects revenues to be in the range of $1.70 billion to $1.72 billion and non-GAAP earnings to be in the range of $0.71 to $0.73 per share (EPS).
Danaher (DHR), JDS Uniphase (JDSU), Roper Industries (ROP), and Thermo Fisher Scientific (TMO) are peers for comparison for Agilent Technologies and the table below provides the key metrics for these companies and the industry.
The chart below compares the stock price changes as a percentage for the selected companies and S&P 500 index for the last one year period.
Competitors' Latest Development
- On July 30, 2012, Roper Industries, Inc. announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Sunquest Information Systems, Inc., the provider of diagnostic and laboratory software solutions to healthcare providers, in an all cash transaction valued at $1.415 billion, including $25 million in cash tax benefits.
- On July 25, 2012, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc updated fiscal 2012 guidance to reflect the Laboratory Workstations business as a discontinued operation, the acquisition of Doe & Ingalls and more unfavorable foreign exchange.
- On July 19, 2012, Danaher Corp. announced that for third quarter of 2012, it expects diluted net earnings per share to be in the range of $0.74 to $0.79. The Company updated its fiscal 2012 diluted net earnings per share guidance to $3.19 to $3.26 from a previous range of $3.25 to $3.35, reflecting the anticipated negative currency impact from the recent strengthening of the US dollar, as well as the Company's plan to accelerate its restructuring activities, which is now anticipated to result in a full year cost of approximately $100 million.
- On July 16, 2012, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc announced that it has signed a definitive agreement to acquire One Lambda, for $925 million in cash, subject to a post-closing adjustment.
- On June 14, 2012, Princeton Security Technologies Inc announced that it has entered into a definitive merger agreement with Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. under which Thermo Fisher will acquire all the outstanding shares of Princeton for $0.89 per share in cash, in a transaction valued at approximately $13 million.
- On June 6, 2012, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc announced that for next year (fiscal 2013) it is actually very much in line with what the sell side has for consensus on EPS which is, even on a scenario where the world gets much tougher, it sees 10% EPS growth as something it can achieve.
- On May 24, 2012, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc announced that its board of directors has declared a quarterly cash dividend of $0.13 per share. The dividend will be paid on July 16, 2012, to shareholders of record as of June 15, 2012.
- On May 2, 2012, JDS Uniphase Corporation announced that for fourth quarter of 2012, it expects non-GAAP net revenue to be in the range of $415-$435 million. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts are expecting the Company to report revenue of $457 million for fourth quarter of 2012.
- On May 1, 2012, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. announced that it has acquired Doe & Ingalls Management, LLC, a provider of specialty production chemicals and customized supply-chain services to the life sciences and microelectronics industries, for approximately $175 million in cash.
- On April 30, 2012, Nanosphere Inc announced that it entered into a marketing and distribution agreement with Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. for markets in Germany. With the commencement of this agreement, Nanosphere will possess distribution agreements in all of the major markets in Europe, a key step in its global expansion strategy.
- On April 25, 2012, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. announced that it is raising its revenue and adjusted EPS guidance for fiscal 2012 primarily due to improved foreign currency exchange.
- On April 23, 2012, Roper Industries, Inc. raised fiscal 2012 earnings per share guidance to $4.75-$4.91 from $4.67-$4.87. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts were expecting the Company to report EPS of $4.78 for fiscal 2012.
- On April 19, 2012, Danaher Corp. announced that it anticipates diluted net earnings per share for the second quarter of 2012 to be in the range of $0.76 to $0.81. The Company narrowed fiscal 2012 diluted EPS guidance to $3.25 to $3.35 from a previous range of $3.20 to $3.35. The second quarter 2012 and fiscal 2012 EPS guidance includes $0.01 and $0.03 of anticipated dilution, respectively, related to the pending acquisition of X-Rite, Incorporated.
- On April 11, 2012, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. announced it has opened a new demonstration laboratory and training center in Seoul, South Korea.
- On April 10, 2012, X-Rite, Incorporated announced that it has signed a definitive merger agreement with Danaher Corp. under which Danaher will acquire XX-Rite for $5.55 per share in cash, or a total of approximately $625 million including the assumption of debt, net of cash.
- On March 13, 2012, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. announced that for fiscal 2012, it expects revenue to be in the range of $12.15-$12.35 billion and earnings per share to be in the range of $4.67-$4.82. According to I/B/E/S estimates, analysts were expecting the Company to report revenue of $12.33 billion and EPS of $4.77 for fiscal 2012.
- On March 6, 2012, JDS Uniphase Corporation announced that Infinera, a company in long-haul wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) optical networking technology, has selected the JDSU ONT 100G Tester Solution to help ensure the reliability of its new Multi-Terabit DTN-X platform.
The stock has a market capitalization of $14.13B and is currently trading at $40.66 with a 52 week range of $28.67 - $46.28. The stock's year-to-date performance has been 16.97%. It is currently trading above 20, 50 and 200 SMA. It looks like Agilent Technologies has broken north out of a downtrend channel which it has been in since April 2012.
Sources: Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, Marketwatch, Finviz, Reuters.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours.