From Between the Hedges:
- UBS AG, the world’s largest money manager, is shunning stocks in Japan, while favoring US shares.
- France will deploy 4,000 policeman in the streets of Paris today to help ensure a protest march against a new labor law doesn’t turn violent again.
- An anti-addiction drug might help smokers keep pounds off while they try to quit, said researchers led by Stephanie O’Malley, psychiatry researcher at Yale Univ.
Wall Street Journal:
- Citigroup Inc.(NYSE:C) may bid as much as $5 billion for Turkey’s Finansbank AS.
- India’s Oil & Natural Gas cut production at its plants in Uran and Hazira because its customers including Indian Oil Corp. have surplus gas and have not been taking it from the company.
- The growth in UK expenditure on advertising this year is estimated at $972 million and almost a third of that will be spent on the Internet, citing Zenith Optimedia.
- The value of mergers and acquisitions in the oil and gas industry tripled last year to $160 billion, the most since 1998.
Late Buy/Sell Recommendations
- Reiterated Buy on CFC, target $45.
Asian Indices are +.25% to +.50% on average.
S&P 500 indicated -.07%.
NASDAQ 100 indicated -.06%.
US AM Market Call
NASDAQ 100 Pre-Market Indicator/Heat Map
Before the Bell CNBC Video(bottom right)
Top 20 Business Stories
Daily Stock Events
Rasmussen Consumer/Investor Daily Indices
CNBC Guest Schedule
10:00 am EST
- Consumer Confidence for March is estimated to rise to 102.0 versus 101.7 in February.
2:00 pm EST
- The FOMC is expected to raise the Fed Funds Rate 25 basis points to 4.75%.
BOTTOM LINE: Asian indices are higher, boosted by technology and mining shares in the region. I expect US equities to open mixed and to trade modestly higher into the afternoon.