Seeking Alpha is one of the most influential financial commentary sites out there, widely read by money managers, sell-side analysts, investment bankers, financial advisors, business leaders, entrepreneurs, and sophisticated retail investors.
According to Nielsen Research, the site attracts the highest percentage of financial professionals (13.9%) of any major finance website. For this reason, Contextuall constantly tracks the sentiment and topics discussed by the Seeking Alpha community.
Seeking Alpha users can subscribe to stock alerts--notifications of new articles that have been posted on specific stocks that they're interested in. By tracking these subscriber trends, we can identify stocks that are attracting attention from relatively sophisticated investors. (Note: To control the quality of the list, we've only focused on stocks that had more than 300 subscribers on August 7, 2012)
Here are the top 20 stocks in terms of Seeking Alpha subscriber growth during August, based on trends between August 7 - August 27. If you want to access a more complete list of the top 100, click here.
1. Knight Capital Group, Inc. (NYSE:KCG): No surprises here, the market maker's humongous trading error made headlines everywhere during August. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 342 to 623 (growth of 82.16%).
2. Pluristem Therapeutics, Inc. (NASDAQ:PSTI): Many Seeking Alpha commentators have made the case that the company's therapy for bone marrow is a blockbuster in the making. Maybe that's why subscribers to this ticker increased from 605 to 861 during August (growth of 42.31%).
3. NorthStar Realty Finance Corp. (NRF): Operates as a real estate investment trust in the United States. What's notable here is that the stock has a very high yield, in addition to solid insider buying. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 519 to 683 (growth of 31.6%).
4. Leap Wireless International Inc. (LEAP): There is mounting speculation that a sale of the company may be underway, but the MetroPCS president moved quickly to deny the rumors. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 330 to 430 (growth of 30.3%).
5. American Realty Capital Trust, Inc. (NASDAQ:ARCT): ARCT was a private REIT that went public in March although there was no IPO. There is speculation that the company will likely be added to the MSCI US REIT Index (RMZ) in November. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 429 to 558 (growth of 30.07%).
6. Velti Plc (VELT): Provides mobile marketing and advertising solutions for mobile operators, ad agencies, brands, and media groups. Brett Jensen wrote that this "Cheap $7 Stock Is Well Positioned For The Coming Mobile Advertising Tsunami". Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 555 to 720 (growth of 29.73%).
7. Nanosphere, Inc. (NASDAQ:NSPH): The company just received FDA approval in late June to market its Gram-Positive Blood Culture Nucleic Acid Test (BC-GP) on the automated sample-to-result Verigene System. This will allow hospitals to get results in 2 to 3 hours versus the 2 to 3 days with competing tests. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 331 to 419 (growth of 26.59%).
8. Mellanox Technologies, Ltd. (NASDAQ:MLNX): The company is making new highs after announcing a software-based solution for creating "virtual" storage networks based on server hardware. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 474 to 600 (growth of 26.58%).
9. QR Energy, LP (NYSE:QRE): Engages in the acquisition, production, and development of onshore crude oil and natural gas properties in the United States. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 540 to 671 (growth of 24.26%).
10. Vanguard Natural Resources, LLC (NYSE:VNR): Engages in the acquisition and development of oil and natural gas properties in the United States. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 1,005 to 1,235 (growth of 22.89%).
11. AmeriGas Partners LP (NYSE:APU): Operates as a retail and wholesale distributor of propane gas in the United States. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 562 to 690 (growth of 22.78%).
12. Qihoo 360 Technology Co. Ltd (NYSE:QIHU): Provides Internet and mobile security products in the People's Republic of China. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 457 to 561 (growth of 22.76%).
13. GameStop Corp. (NYSE:GME): Operates as a retailer of video game products and personal computer (PC) entertainment software. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 509 to 616 (growth of 21.02%).
14. Liberty Capital Group (NASDAQ:LMCA): Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 333 to 403 (growth of 21.02%).
15. Stratasys Inc. (NASDAQ:SSYS): Engages in the development, manufacture, and marketing of three dimensional (3D) printing, rapid prototyping ((NASDAQ:RP)), and direct digital manufacturing ((NYSEARCA:DDM)) systems primarily in North America, Europe, and the Asia Pacific. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 1,095 to 1,316 (growth of 20.18%).
16. Calumet Specialty Products Partners LP (NASDAQ:CLMT): Produces and sells specialty hydrocarbon products in North America. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 969 to 1,161 (growth of 19.81%).
17. PennyMac Mortgage Investment Trust (NYSE:PMT): Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 409 to 489 (growth of 19.56%).
18. InterOil Corporation (NYSE:IOC): Engages in the exploration, appraisal, and development of crude oil and natural gas properties in Papua New Guinea. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 817 to 975 (growth of 19.34%).
19. Dean Foods Company (NYSE:DF): Operates as a food and beverage company in the United States. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 355 to 423 (growth of 19.15%).
20. KKR Financial Holdings LLC (KFN): Operates as a specialty finance company with expertise in a range of asset classes. Seeking Alpha subscribers increased from 525 to 625 (growth of 19.05%).
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it. I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.