TIBCO Software Inc. (NASDAQ:TIBX) is scheduled to report its Q3 2012 results on September 20, 2012, after the bell. The street expects EPS and revenue of $0.27 and $259.79M, respectively.
In this article I will recap the historical results of the company, its latest EPS estimates vs. surprises, the latest news from TIBX and the news from its closest competitors.
Recent EPS Actuals vs. Estimates
The company has met or beaten analysts' estimates in the last five quarters. In the last quarter it reported $0.26 EPS, beating analyst estimates of $0.23.
|Earnings Release||Estimate||Actual||Price Before||Price After||Price Change %|
The consensus EPS estimate is $0.27 based on 20 analysts' estimates, up from $0.23 a year ago. Revenue estimates are $259.79M, up from $228.97M a year ago. The median target price by analysts for the stock is $35.00.
Average recommendation: Overweight
Analyst Upgrades and Downgrades
- On July 1, 2012, Hilliard Lyons upgraded the company from Neutral to Long-term Buy.
- On March 30, 2012, JMP Securities reiterated Mkt Outperform rating for the company.
- On March 30, 2012, Barclays reiterated Equal Weight rating for the company.
- On March 29, 2012, Mizuho reiterated Buy rating for the company.
- On August 17, 2012, TIBCO Software Inc announced that its enterprise social platform, tibbr(NYSE:R), has been selected by Australian electricity network operator Ausgrid to enhance collaboration across its entire organization.
- On August 2, 2012, TIBCO Software Inc announced that universal enterprise social platform tibbr has been selected by global law firm Reed Smith LLP to enhance collaboration and productivity across all offices and practices. tibbr was selected for intuitive, simple design, and integration with SharePoint, to provide a secure forum for attorneys to conduct business and access critical information.
- On July 19, 2012, TIBCO Software Inc announced that Scania has chosen tibbr as its private social network. tibbr was selected for its ability to deliver a cross-functional social networking platform that can be deployed on-premise and integrated with Scania's current business solutions.
- On July 12, 2012, TIBCO Software Inc and Relay Technology Management announced that Relay has selected the TIBCO Spotfire(R) analytics platform to power Business Development Live (BD Live!), its real-time business intelligence and data visualization solution for life science professionals.
- On June 28, 2012, TIBCO Software, Inc. announced that for third quarter of 2012, it expects total revenue to range from $255-$265 million and non-GAAP earnings per share (NYSEARCA:EPS) to range between $0.25-$0.27 and GAAP EPS to range from $0.12-$0.14 with an assumed tax rate of 23%. According to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts are expecting the Company to report revenue of $261 million and EPS of $0.27 for third quarter of 2012.
- On May 1, 2012, TIBCO Software, Inc. announced that PT XL AxiataTbk (NYSE:XL), Indonesia's mobile carrier, has chosen TIBCO software to power its new mobile payment solution, expanding its revenue opportunities and bridging economic barriers for the country's unbanked population.
- On April 18, 2012, TIBCO Software, Inc. announced the pricing of an offering of $525 million aggregate principal amount of its 2.25% convertible senior notes due 2032 (the Notes).
- On April 16, 2012, TIBCO Software, Inc. announced that it intends to offer, subject to market and other considerations, approximately $500 million aggregate principal amount of convertible senior notes due 2032 through an offering to qualified institutional buyers pursuant to Rule 144A under the Securities Act of 1933, as amended.
- On April 12, 2012, TIBCO Software, Inc announced that it has completed the acquisition of LogLogic, Inc., a privately held company based in San Jose, California, provides scalable log and security management platforms specifically designed for the enterprise and cloud.
- On April 4, 2012, TIBCO Software, Inc. announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire LogLogic Inc., a privately held company based in San Jose, California that offers one of the industry's scalable log and security management platforms specifically designed for the enterprise and cloud.
- On March 29, 2012, TIBCO Software, Inc. announced that its Board of Directors has authorized a new share repurchase program pursuant to which the company may repurchase up to $300 million of its outstanding common stock.
- On March 29, 2012, TIBCO Software, Inc. announced that for second quarter of 2012, it expects total revenue to be $240-$244 million, GAAP earnings per share to be $0.13-$0.15 and non-GAAP earnings per share to be $0.22-$0.23. According to I/B/E/S estimates, analysts are expecting the Company to report revenue of $242 million and EPS of $0.23 for second quarter of 2012.
BMC Software (NASDAQ:BMC), International Business Machines (NYSE:IBM), Informatica Corporation (NASDAQ:INFA), Oracle (NYSE:ORCL), and Riverbed Technology (NASDAQ:RVBD) are considered major competitors for TIBCO and the table below provides the key metrics for these companies and the industry.
The chart below compares the stock price changes as a percentage for the selected companies for the last one year period.
Competitors' Latest Development
- On September 11, 2012, Reuters reported that Knight Capital Group Inc has hired International Business Machines Corp to look into the August 1, 2012 trading glitch that cost the trading firm $440 million and forced it to accept a $400 million investment from a group of financial companies to keep it afloat.
- On September 11, 2012, International Business Machines Corp announced that Toyota Boshoku will use IBM cloud technology in worldwide manufacturing and engineering projects, including automotive design.
- On September 6, 2012, Reuters reported that the federal judge overseeing a major lawsuit over smartphone technology between Oracle Corp and Google Inc has quietly ended his examination of those companies' relationships with paid bloggers and other commentators.
- On September 3, 2012, Reuters reported that Oracle Corp has launched an appeal on a five-year long court case that could see SAP AG pay millions more in damages over copyright infringement.
- On August 27, 2012, International Business Machines Corp and Kenexa Corporation announced they have entered into a definitive agreement for IBM to acquire Kenexa, a publicly held company headquartered in Wayne, Pa., in a cash transaction at a price of $46 per share, or at a net price of approximately $1.3 billion.
- On August 17, 2012, Reuters reported that Oracle Corp agreed to pay a $2 million fine to settle U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission charges that an India subsidiary secretly set aside money used to make unauthorized payments to phony vendors in India.
- On August 16, 2012, International Business Machines Corp announced it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Texas Memory Systems (NYSE:TMS), a developer of high-performance flash memory solutions.
- On August 14, 2012, Punjab & Maharashtra Co-op. Bank Ltd announced that it has selected International Business Machines Corp approach to IT to accelerate its growth and reach in the fast developing financial services landscape in India.
- On August 13, 2012, PR Newswire (United States) reported that International Business Machines Corp (IBM Research) has opened its first IBM Research laboratory in Nairobi, Kenya in collaboration between the Ministry of Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) through the Kenya ICT Board.
- On August 10, 2012, Reuters reported that International Business Machines Corp has considered buying Research In Motion, Ltd.'s enterprise division, Bloomberg reported On Friday.
- On August 8, 2012, Reuters reported that Google Inc and Oracle Corporation's copyright and patent battle took a strange twist on Tuesday, after a judge ordered the companies to disclose the names of journalists, bloggers and other commentators on their payrolls.
- On August 6, 2012, Oracle Corporation announced that Kamal Osman Jamjoom Group LLC is using Oracle Retail Point-of-Service and Oracle Retail Store Inventory Management to optimize store operations and improve customer experiences across its 500-plus stores in the region.
- On August 1, 2012, Toshiba Tec Corporation announced that it has completed to acquire the retail store solution business from International Business Machines Corporation on August 1, 2012.
- On July 31, 2012, International Business Machines Corp announced that its Board of Directors declared a regular quarterly cash dividend of $0.85 per common share, payable September 10, 2012 to stockholders of record August 10, 2012.
- On July 30, 2012, CEMEX S.A.B. de C.V and International Business Machines Corp announced a 10-year strategic agreement in which IBM will deliver world-class business process and information technology services.
- On July 30, 2012, Oracle Corporation announced that it has entered into an agreement to acquire Xsigo Systems, a provider of network virtualization technology. Terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
- On July 25, 2012, Riverbed Technology Inc announced that for third quarter of 2012, it expects revenue to be in the range of $214 million to $219 million and earnings per share to be between $0.25 and $0.26. to I/B/E/S Estimates, analysts are expecting the Company to report revenue of $216 million and EPS of $0.25 for third quarter of 2012.
- On July 24, 2012, International Business Machines Corp announced that the Victoria University of Wellington, on behalf of the Murchison Widefield Array (NYSE:MWA) Consortium, has selected IBM systems technology to help scientists probe the origins of the universe.
- On July 19, 2012, Oracle Corporation announced that announced that it has entered into an agreement to acquire substantially all of the assets of Skire, a provider of capital program management and facilities management applications available on the cloud and on-premise.
- On July 5, 2012, Informatica Corporation announced that for the second quarter of 2012, it expects total revenues to be in the range of $188 million to $190 million and earnings per share to be in the range of $0.16 to $0.17 per diluted share.
- On July 3, 2012, Sandvik AB announced that it has entered into a five year strategic agreement, to a value of 2 billion SEK, with International Business Machines Corp and will outsource parts of the IT infrastructure services.
- On June 27, 2012, Reuters reported that Hewlett Packard Co told a judge on June 26, 2012, that Oracle Corporation should be ordered to make its software available on HP's Itanium-based servers for as long as HP sells them.
- On June 27, 2012, International Business Machines Corp and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) announced that they are broadening their nearly 20-year collaboration in high performance computing (HPC) by joining forces to work with industrial partners to help boost their competitiveness in the global economy.
- On June 27, 2012, International Business Machines Corp and Veolia Transdev announced that together they are developing a smarter mobility solution designed to help cities alleviate road congestion, optimize transportation infrastructures and improve the urban traveler experience.
- On June 26, 2012, SGS Life Science Services announced that it has selected Oracle Health Sciences LabPas to help accelerate subject recruitment, data capture and analysis, and improve workflows in Phase I trials.
- On June 19, 2012, Oracle Corporation announced that for the first quarter of 2013, it expects total revenue growth on a GAAP and non-GAAP basis to range from 3% to 6% in constant currency and negative 2% to positive 1% in current rates.
The stock has a market capitalization of $5.10B and is currently trading at $30.97 with a 52 week range of $20.04 - $34.67. The stock's year-to-date performance has been 31.49%. It is currently trading above 20, 50 and 200 SMAs.
Sources: Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, Marketwatch, Finviz, Reuters.
Disclosure: I have no positions in any stocks mentioned, and no plans to initiate any positions within the next 72 hours. I wrote this article myself, and it expresses my own opinions. I am not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). I have no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned in this article.