- Japan is sold out of Xbox 360s and Microsoft (MSFT) has apologised: “We truly thank you for all your patronage in the past. Currently, the Xbox 360 is sold out, and retailers are unable to restock their supply. This is a result of our own sales targets being exceeded by the actual customer sales. We deeply apologize for this inconvenience to our customers, retailers and business partners. Here at Microsoft, we are moving forward quickly with console production, and plan to ship the standard Xbox 360 model out this September. Furthermore, we will sequentially be shipping out the Elite and the Arcade models. We ask that you please patiently wait until the console is shipped. We truly thank you for your patronage hereafter.” They achieved this simply by giving the customer what the customer wants and if this continues, it will soon be catching up with the PS3 for sales in Japan.
- Sony (SNE) has no chance of making money on the PS3 and lost more money on the PlayStation 3 than it made during the five year peak sales period of the PlayStation 2, says Acclaim boss David Perry. Hardly surprising when Sony had to sell off divisions and raise new equity finance to cover the hemorrhage. This really begs the question about whether they will bother with PS4. As it is probably just going to be a scale up of PS3, the answer may well be yes.
- PS4 and Xbox 720 to launch in 2011-2 (or maybe 2010), says Crytek president and CEO Cevat Yerli. Once again, the fact that these will just be scale ups of the existing systems means that they can launch pretty much any time they want. Microsoft proved in the current generation that first mover advantage is massive, which would mean them going sooner rather than later.
- Amazing realistic animation technique. If this can be done it will be a quantum jump for gaming, not just in what they look like but also in what sort of content becomes possible. This is very well worth a look.
- Only a year after launching the PSP Slim and Light, Sony are presumably forced by piracy into launching a new model, the PSP 3000.
- 160Gb PS3 confirmed for PAL territories in the peak season. No doubt, hard drives on home consoles will become far bigger so they can act as media centers. And Sony has announced the music and video services that will use them. But where does this leave Nintendo (OTCPK:NTDOY)?
- Wireless keypad announced for PS3. It fits on the top of the controller. Presumably this will be needed for Home and it opens the door for PS3 MMOs. One of the defining features of this console generation is the diversity of input devices.
- Fox News screws up as it reports America’s Army. Just 5 years late. Fox News in America and the Daily Mail in the UK seem to be in some desperate competition as to who can be the most stupid when it comes to games. Don’t they realise that this is a massive entertainment industry for all, that needs to be taken seriously?
Source: Eight Gaming News Stories