With the financial landscape shifting under recent news, especially the quasi-nationalization of Freddie Mac (FRE) and Fannie May (FNM), I believe that it is time to speculate on selected regional banks for both dividend and total return over the next few quarters and beyond.
Notice that I say speculate, as investors deep down inside know that there will be a continuing fallout as worthy financial institutions survive and those fatally contaminated flop.
Here are a few regional financial choices for you to research. They shed a nice dividend that appears supported, trade at a decent volume per day and have a successful niche market, excellent management, or both, indicating hope for future prosperity.
- S&T Regional Bank (NASDAQ:STBA) trading at $35.23/share with a yield of 3.44%.
- Sterling Bancorp (NYSE:STL) trading at $16.80/share with a yield of 4.52%.
- First Commonwealth Financial Corp. of PA (NYSE:FCF) trading at $12.59/share with a yield of 5.40%.
- FirstMerit Corp. (NASDAQ:FMER) trading at $21.82/share with a yield of 4.93%.
- UMPQUA Holdings Corp. (NASDAQ:UMPQ) trading at $15.49/share with a yield of 4.61%.
- First Horizon National (NYSE:FHN) trading at $12.47/share with a yield of 6.42%.
- Evans Bancorp (NYSEMKT:EVBN) trading at $16.85/share with a yield of 4.87%.
- Colonial BancGroup (CNB) trading at $8.00/share with a yield of 4.75%.
- Imperial Cap Bancorp (IMP) trading at $10.25/share with a yield of 6.22%.
- PacWest Bancorp (NASDAQ:PACW) trading at $27.27/share with a yield of 4.24%.
Regional banks make a sensible investment. As the big box banks are hampered adjusting to local markets and tastes, those above and other regional banks should, by nomenclature, be more familiar with the markets they serve and thus able to offer product and risk avoidance techniques that may prove to be more adaptable and profitable.
Studies show that people and businesses often choose banks for their accessibility and familiarity in the neighborhood. In the present financial environment, loyalty counts, and regional banks that have successful business and marketing models should shine.