Did you know that Wyoming has a district called the historic J.C. Penny (NYSE:JCP) district? James Cash Penny established his first store in this state. Eventually, it grew to the chain known as J.C. Penny.
Here are some interesting facts about Wyoming:
- New jobs created in Wyoming during 2007 ranked second in the country.
- No personal income tax.
- No corporate income tax.
- Income from the mining industry contributes 2/3 of the total state revenue.
- Wyoming’s top tourist destinations are: Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park.
- Top commodities are: Livestock of cattle, hay, sugar beets and barley.
- Top mineral commodities are: coal, natural gas, and crude oil.
- Wyoming is seventh nationwide for oil production.
- Wyoming ranks number one for coal production in the nation.
- The southern part of Wyoming is excellent for the production of wind power.
The following companies are connected to the state of Wyoming:
- U.S. Energy Corp. (NASDAQ:USEG) is a Wyoming based company that explores for and develops uranium, molybdenum, gold, lead, zinc, silver, and oil and gas. The stock has a P/E of 1.05. This is a very low cap stock and should therefore be considered very speculative.
- Crazy Woman Creek Bancorp Inc. (OTCQB:CRZY) is a bank holding company for Buffalo Federal Savings Bank, which serves the Johnson, Campbell, and Sheridan counties in Wyoming. The stock has a P/E of 19. It has a very low market cap, so it should therefore be considered very speculative and illiquid. For its recent reported quarter, the company had a 31% drop in earnings on a 9.6% increase in revenues.
- Victory Acquisition Corp. (VRY) was founded in January 2007. It currently does not have substantial operations. It plans on increasing its business by purchasing or merging with other companies. The stock has a P/E of 60.
- Double Eagle Petroleum Co. (NASDAQ:DBLE) produces and markets oil and natural gas. The stock generated a loss of $1.08 per share. It has a forward P/E of 16.
- MDU Resources Group Inc. (NYSE:MDU) is a distributor of electricity and natural gas, and is also involved in construction services in Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Montana. The stock has a P/E of 12, a PEG of 0.98, and it pays a yield of 1.9%.
- Glacier Bancorp (NASDAQ:GBCI) is a holding institution that renders banking services in Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, and Washington. The stock has a P/E of 16, a PEG of 14, and It pays a yield of 2.4%.
- Black Hills Corp. (NYSE:BKH) controls an energy company that delivers energy to customers in Wyoming, South Dakota, and Montana. The stock has a P/E of 16, a PEG of 2.04, and it pays a yield of 4.1%.
- Gastar Exploration, Ltd. (NYSEMKT:GST) explores for and develops coal bed methane property in the Powder River Basin of Wyoming and Montana. The company also explores and develops oil and gas properties in North America and Australia. The stock has a forward P/E of 42. The stock trades on the American Stock Exchange.
- Questar Corp. (NYSE:STR) is in the business of producing and selling natural gas and oil in Wyoming, Utah, and Idaho. The stock has a P/E of 16, a PEG of 1.57, and it pays a yield of 0.9%.
Disclosure: Author does not own any of the above.