By Jared Cummans
Investing for income has become a popular strategy in recent years, as low rate environments and paltry yields have made a steady stream of income a coveted luxury. Similarly, investing in gold and silver has been surging in popularity as the years have gone on. Investors worried about inflation and a weakening economy have flocked to these precious metals in order to protect their portfolios. But what many investors do not know is that they can combine these two worlds.
By owning certain mining firms, investors can actually get their dividend payouts in the form of silver and gold bullion -- an ideal situation for many investors. Below, we list several mining stocks and how much you would need to own to receive bullion as a payout (assuming gold prices of $1,717/oz and silver at $32.1/oz).
- Goldcorp (NYSE:GG): At its current price of $43.85 and an annual dividend of $0.54, you would need to own around 3,179 shares, or $139,426 worth of the stock, to get a dividend equivalent to one ounce of gold.
- Agnico-Eagle Mines Ltd. (NYSE:AEM): A stock that has been on a tear in the last few weeks, AEM’s current price of $56.36 and dividend of $0.8 dictates about 2,146 shares, or $120,962 in total holdings.
- Newmont Mining (NYSE:NEM): Newmont also offers a similar option for shareholders, and at its current price of $53.56 and dividend of $1.4, you would need to hold 1,226 shares, or $65,688 for that shiny ounce of gold.
- Gold Resource Corp (NYSEMKT:GORO): The Colorado-based company would require ownership of about 2,385 shares, or $39,990 worth of stock for your gold ounce.
- Silver Wheaton Corp (NYSE:SLW): Moving on to silver bullion, this popular miner would require you to own about 80 shares, or $3,135 to get an ounce of the white metal, a much more manageable number than some of the gold miners.
- Silvercorp Metals (NYSE:SVM): The final stock on this list, SVM’s current price of $5.93 and dividend of $0.1 mean that you will need to own 321 shares, or just over $1,900 of total stock for your ounce payout.
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.