Abu Bakr Hussain

View Abu Bakr Hussain's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Nokia Lumia 1020 Edges The Company Back Into Conversation [View article]
    Diablo - that Reuters report is slightly confusing. They're comparing YoY instead of QoQ - If Elop is right and it is just "investments" that has led to the cash burn, the SP might pop post earnings. I think the cash burn can be partially but not wholly explained by that. However, now that we consider that Nokia owns all of NSN/NN, the SP might fluctuate rather wildly when we see the latest ER... My thoughts on the short term earnings reaction are all over the place! I think i'm happy with sitting 25% out just to be able to cash back in if the price drops
    Jul 14 06:54 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Lumia 1020 Edges The Company Back Into Conversation [View article]
    Thanks Michael - Yes, Elop went up even more in my estimation this week. I am also looking to add, but will wait out for Q2 earnings. Not sure of the breakdown of course, but am hazarding a guess that there's been another feature phone sales decline (both ASP and volume) which more than offset the rise in Lumia sales. Long term, the Lumia line is the future, but dealing with the end of feature phones is painful so soon after losing Symbian. We will see soon enough what happened in a few days.
    Jul 13 08:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • High Frequency Insider Trading - And It's Completely Legal [View article]
    I understand the concept of HFT - but i'm at a loss as to how someone can analyse the contents of a new survey and make the appropriate share purchases/sales within 2 seconds to profit from this. Could anyone be kind enough to explain for me please?
    Jul 13 07:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia's Stellar Customer Satisfaction Levels Bode Well For The Future [View article]
    Agreed - well System can be that if he has time to write, I really liked his article, I hope he writes more =)
    Jul 12 06:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell Boeing: Not Worth Dreamliner Grounding Risk [View article]
    Frank - Ethiopian or not, the EU has stringent requirements about who can fly to EU destinations.. I am sure as their flagship aircraft and their pride and joy, the Ethiopians would have been taking very good care of their latest aircraft. Like you said, let's wait to get the facts on this, it could be anything at this point.
    Jul 12 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Lumia 1020 Edges The Company Back Into Conversation [View article]
    Dwdallam - check this comment out by Nilay Patel (Editor at the Verge)

It's kind of amazing that Nokia keeps introducing very familiar pocket camera tech — manual controls, image stabilization, scene modes — as ultra-innovative in a phone. Justified, but consumers have had access to this tech in their point and shoots for a long time. -NP

So basically, Nokia just created the world's finest camera phone, and Nilay Patel decided to compare it unfavourably to point and shoots. Lets face it, he was moving the goalposts. the iPhone 5 etc have not been compared with DSLRs, now Nokia is being, just so they can get a negative point in. BUT - as investors, we do have to see their is a considerable inbuilt bias against Apple phones (especially). What I found interesting is that NP was so caught up in the 'ecosystem wars' that he kept on asking Elop questions about WP8 instead of focussing on the fact this was a Nokia event.
    Jul 12 05:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That's a really clever idea Mr.Knowitall - I like it - send it to Mr.Elop?
    Jul 12 05:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Lumia 1020 Edges The Company Back Into Conversation [View article]
    Thanks Sarerrdy, I've a few west African friends and I know for a fact that there are many wealthy people in Africa and other parts of the world who can afford top-range phones. I think there should be an easy official way that can happen. It's ludicrous to expect people to have friends purchase products for them from Europe.
    Jul 12 05:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Lumia 1020 Edges The Company Back Into Conversation [View article]
    I've been thinking of getting a drone for my orthomosaic needs - this sounds perfect!
    Jul 12 05:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yeah Leon - I've written about it in my next article.. i just wrote it down word for word because it was such an important question (and answer). I hope that the article gets published so we can get a good discussion going on it.
    Jul 12 01:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Boeing (BA -6.6%) shares drop suddenly on news of a reported fire at a 787 Dreamliner at London's Heathrow airport. [View news story]
    ..Still $24 more than in February..
    Jul 12 01:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Nokia Needs To Tell Us If It Is Going To Sell Its Phone Divisions [View article]
    WRS - MSFT is to some extent still factionalised. I wouldn't find it hard to believe that some members of MSFT even now prefer Apple over WP. However, while i don't believe that WSJ was correct word-for-word, I do think an offer was made and broke down at some stage. Regardless, now that Elop has very directly stated that the handset business is here to stay, that's given me all the re-assurance I need.
    Jul 12 12:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dom1 - i think he was joking! One of my favourite waterloo grad comments was when he advised someone that $200 was unrealistic, but $100 was achievable by 2014 re: BBRY
    Jul 12 12:31 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • It's “hard to understand the rationale" for selling Nokia's (NOK) phone ops, says Stephen Elop following the Lumia 1020 launch; the comments come 3 weeks after the WSJ reported Nokia held advanced talks with Microsoft about selling its phone business, while adding they broke down and are unlikely to be revived. Elop also promises Nokia, AT&T, and Microsoft will deliver a more consistent marketing message for the 1020 than they did for prior Lumia launches. Initial hands-on impressions for the 1020 are mostly positive, even if few critics like its price and AT&T exclusivity. Engadget: "The hardware's a beauty on this thing." BGR: "The device can take truly remarkable pictures." (previous[View news story]
    Thanks Jacob =)
    Jul 12 12:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    This is very good news, It's nice to see Elop giving re-assurance that D&S division is here to stay.
    Does anyone have a link to the full interview with WSJ by any chance? (the linked article seems to contain only an excerpt). Thank you
    Jul 11 07:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment