Achilles Research

View Achilles Research's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Building A $100,000 High-Yield Income Portfolio From Scratch; Adding Position 3: Linn Energy [View article]
    Since the question came up somewhere else:

I have had to pick one stock out of three which were close to making it into the portfolio. Second choice would have been Vanguard Natural Resources, since energy offers very attractive risk/reward right now. Choice three was PennyMac Mortgage.

I am very happy with LINE though.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    This is true for any stock and any investment. If you can't deal with a temporary setback/sell-off maybe you shouldn't be in the stock market in the first place.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:12 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks for the support. Energy investments are clearly the way to be. I am optimistic with respect to LINE and will add more if the opportunity arises.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I bought after the December shock and have laid out my thesis in my first article of this series.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:08 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I already own Linn Energy in my other portfolio and pretty much know the company. I have been a strong bull on LINE in the last year, as you can judge by the tone of my articles ;)

Also, I experienced the decline in LINE's valuation first hand and always thought that the market is completely drunk on pessimism. We'll rebound.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, I think so, too. I was eyeing Linn just a few weeks ago at $12 but couldn't pull the trigger for liquidity reasons. Anyways, $13ish seem reasonable for Linn Energy.
    Apr 30, 2015. 09:03 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • FFO Growth And Strategic Transactions Make Ventas A Preferred Healthcare REIT [View article]
    Yes, you are right. Please excuse.
    Apr 27, 2015. 01:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Fair Value $103, 18% Upside, 3% Dividend - What More Do Investors Want From Exxon Mobil? [View article]
    As far as I am concerned, Exxon Mobil is the best 'free cash flow value play' in the sector. Even if my 2015 projections turn out to be incorrect, they are pretty much in line with Exxon Mobil's past financials.

For anyone who doesn't believe in the dividend value of XOM: Model a 3% return on capital each year, rising dividends of 3-5% per annum over 20-30 years. Exxon Mobil is excellent value right now. Period.
    Apr 22, 2015. 06:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Johnson & Johnson: An Excellent 3% Dividend Choice For Risk-Averse Income Investors [View article]
    Thanks, optionrider.

Rising dividends + compounding were what made Buffett rich.
    Apr 21, 2015. 03:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    This means I'm earning $200,000 extra every 5 years

Yes, because investing is that easy. Assuming you will earn those $200k 'extra', you'll pay for it by taking on higher risk. And we'll see if you really earn those $200k if the stock market crashes one more time.

The WHOLE point of the article was to point out JNJ as an income investment for investors who need reliable, rising dividend income but are only willing to accept a low amount of risk.
    Apr 21, 2015. 03:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    MLPs also have a place in dividend portfolios, no doubt. JNJ probably appeals to investors with a lower risk tolerance.
    Apr 21, 2015. 03:11 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yes, and over time you will see your YOC, yield on cost, rise as JNJ hikes is dividend.
    Apr 21, 2015. 03:09 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    That's another good point you are raising Jeff. Mutual fund fees are a no-no. If you look at their long-term performance, I wonder why anyone would invest with them.
    Apr 21, 2015. 03:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Because 1Q 2015 earnings adjusted for FX impacts were solid.
    Apr 21, 2015. 03:07 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment