Adam Aloisi

View Adam Aloisi's Comments BY TICKER:
  • What, Exactly, Constitutes 'Yield Chasing'? [View article]
    Ted, it is interesting how lately the creativity of Wall Street has led to more aggressive types of investments with thicker prospectuses and confusion. Yes, I do wonder if those who invest in an ETN truly understand the structure. While I don't think a leveraged ETN should necessarily be discounted by those who understand the risk, loading up with them could never end well in a miserably down market - which as you note many newbies have certainly never experienced.
    Aug 20, 2014. 07:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend-Growth-Devoid Income Portfolio [View article]
    Zolimax... thanks for reading the piece and commenting.

I know people that are having to make tough choices on how to stretch a nest egg with limited capital - it was somewhat of the impetus for writing the article. And there are no easy answers. As investors we know not what tomorrow brings, so balancing risk with needed reward becomes a fine line to walk, especially when you find yourself looking at not-so-SWAN investments.

I think there's no question that you need to monitor higher-yielding investments more closely. PSEC and ARCP, which I both mention in the article have been problem children this year and volatile. The lower yielding names I mention have been for lack of a better term, quiet. And I think for most DG investors, that's the way it should be. Best, Adam
    Aug 20, 2014. 03:26 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What, Exactly, Constitutes 'Yield Chasing'? [View article]
    rose: I think that's a fair statement most of the time, but now and again, over the near-term the market gets it wrong, posing opportunity for investors willing to search off the beaten path - or step in when the market overreacts, which it so often does.

Regards, Adam
    Aug 20, 2014. 03:17 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What, Exactly, Constitutes 'Yield Chasing'? [View article]
    CP: Interesting view on the three "classes" of income investors.

Not sure that I find myself fitting squarely into any of them, which hopefully has its merit since I try to be objective about all sorts of strategies - and tend to employ them all as a mish-mosh in my portfolio. Another reason I guess I'm sorta a runt here on SA.

In any case, thanks for the thoughtful view.
    Adam
    Aug 20, 2014. 03:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What, Exactly, Constitutes 'Yield Chasing'? [View article]
    George, I think there's a whole lot of investment concepts that can varied meaning - I suppose yield chase is another one to throw in the pile.

And I found your analogy Vaaarrrry intraaaesssting.
    Adam
    Aug 20, 2014. 03:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What, Exactly, Constitutes 'Yield Chasing'? [View article]
    SDS, I think your definition is very solid.

Thanks for the post, Adam
    Aug 20, 2014. 03:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend-Growth-Devoid Income Portfolio [View article]
    Dave, wow, a very humbling comment and thanks for the contributions to the stream. I'm not sure how many retirees are faced with an exactly 35/500 situation, but hopefully this article forms some blueprint for those contemplating how to best extract X income from Y available capital stash.

Best, Adam
    Aug 20, 2014. 01:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend-Growth-Devoid Income Portfolio [View article]
    Doug, pertaining to bonds, I think most investors should be buying investment grade individual issues... if they delve into junk or emerging markets, maybe a fund is a better idea.

Thanks again for the contribution to the thread .

Regards, Adam
    Aug 20, 2014. 01:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend-Growth-Devoid Income Portfolio [View article]
    Hi Gary: I think generalizations can certainly be dangerous. All high-yield is probably not dangerous, just like all DGI is not low-risk. As I often preach, investment success may just as relative to owning the right stocks as it is to avoiding the wrong stocks.

I own bonds, but don't write about it a lot here at SA. I have a weekly bond column at LearnBonds.com where you can get some of my fixed-income wisdom.

Regards, Adam
    Aug 20, 2014. 12:59 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend-Growth-Devoid Income Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks for reading Rose... Keep diversifying and cleaning the closet when need be ;-)

Adam
    Aug 20, 2014. 12:56 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend-Growth-Devoid Income Portfolio [View article]
    All of what you say is true Miguel. I guess I view some income securities as "opportunistic" income trades, which probably is not an appropriate way for most retired, buy and hold investors to look at things.

However, ZIRP has made things challenging for all income investors, and as such, one may, out of need, try to up their game to glean all the income they can opportunistically muster.
    Aug 20, 2014. 10:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend-Growth-Devoid Income Portfolio [View article]
    Roland: Good example. Basically akin to how the REIT business model operates.
    Aug 20, 2014. 10:29 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend-Growth-Devoid Income Portfolio [View article]
    Robert, interesting statistic and thanks for the link. Looks like if I had made the supposition 7%, the answer would have been 1 (NYSE:PG).

Adam
    Aug 20, 2014. 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend-Growth-Devoid Income Portfolio [View article]
    <<pushing too hard for income from yield if you don't need to is just another form of greed>>

Bob, I think that's a pretty wise comment. I suppose I just got the answer to the question of "what constitutes yield chasing" that I asked earlier in the thread.

AA
    Aug 20, 2014. 08:47 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Dividend-Growth-Devoid Income Portfolio [View article]
    Thanks Nut.. Hopefully all the stocks mentioned pan out well. I've certainly mentioned a few duds over the years here at SA.

Regards, AA