Adam Bauer

View Adam Bauer's Comments BY TICKER:
  • A Simple Dividend Stock Worksheet [View article]
    Old Rick, I feel you are incorrect in your assessment. If you look at the top of my previous article at the bullet points they are verbatim copied on KL's excel spreadsheet for the "Questions to ask." I don't believe KL had the intent to plagiarize and I'm not going to claim that my article was a groundbreaking strategy. My intent was to simply call out that it is important to cite sources when necessary and provide original thought.
    Jul 4, 2012. 08:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Simple Dividend Stock Worksheet [View article]
    KL, I agree that having a tracking method is necessary. Your article is extremely similar to one that I posted just over a month ago. In fact it appears to border on plagiarism. I suppose great minds can think alike and I don't expect that you have read every article that was posted thus I will give you the benefit of the doubt. I look forward to future original thought articles from you.

Jul 4, 2012. 06:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Characteristics Of High Dividend Growth Companies [View article]
    Rich, operating cash flow is probably the best data point for your comparison. I don't have any statistical evidence readily available but I would bet it has a fairly strong correlation to dividend growth.

The analysis has to be a total dividend paid vs. total operating cash flow or dividend per share vs. operating cash flow per share. Make sure that you are in the same unit of measure.
    Jul 3, 2012. 11:31 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Characteristics Of High Dividend Growth Companies [View article]
    Rich, I would probably use operating cash flow instead of operating income. Operating income can be skewed by depreciation write offs and other charges that will alter the number. Verizon is a good example where the operating income and operating cash flow tell different stories between 2008 and 2009. This is why you see the large payout ratio. You could use EBITDA instead of EBIT to help remove some of the noise.

I like Revenue because it isn't altered by the noise in COGS and operating expenses but would probably want to compare with operating cash flow to make sure they are moving in the same direction. If they are headed in different directions then it is probably time to dig deeper.
    Jul 2, 2012. 09:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Retired Investors - Treat Your Income Generating Portfolio Like A Business [View article]
    Bob, a quote that was drilled into my head at a young age is, "you can work for money or it can work for you."

I like your strategy because you have money working for you. Getting a raise and making more each year is something that all of us hope to achieve. I think there is no reason that my employees (money) should not get a raise every year too. Even better is I don't pay my employees in this case they actually pay me. It can become a fairly goofy analogy but if you take it a little bit further there are times that your employees (money) may have to change jobs. This would of course be selling out of one investment and into another.

There is a place for fixed income and other investment vehicles but I currently don't have a place for them in my portfolio.
    Jul 2, 2012. 02:00 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Characteristics Of High Dividend Growth Companies [View article]
    Dave, your Intel and Microsoft examples are great. I have noticed the same trend as you. I wonder what is the optimal point in time to invest in this dividend policy cycle and if it is different depending on your primary goal?

My gut tells me the optimal point is just after yield starts to climb and dividend growth begins to slow would be the optimal point for an income focused investor and/or retiree. I guess I would have to map it out a little more with a few historical examples to determine where this point is.
    Jun 26, 2012. 05:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Characteristics Of High Dividend Growth Companies [View article]
    Linda, I wish you success with your portfolio. I think that your balanced approach in utilizing high yields and high growth is an excellent strategy.
    Jun 26, 2012. 12:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Characteristics Of High Dividend Growth Companies [View article]
    retail, if you had to classify your analysis approach for investing would it be technical or fundamental? If you don't fit in those categories would you be willing to share some of the steps and logic that you utilize to determine if you want to invest in a company?

I'm curious to learn the logic behind some of your comments as they seem to a alienate yourself from the standard approaches to security analysis.

Your comment in regards to FX is an interesting, can you share the source of the data? I haven't come across that data point before.
    Jun 26, 2012. 12:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Characteristics Of High Dividend Growth Companies [View article]
    Rich, I agree that total return doesn't necessarily have to be a primary goal but it is a data point to use in monitoring your holdings. The crossover point is an interesting theory but I'm curious as to how it actually plays out. I would like to see a basket of "high yield" dividend growth stocks measured against a basket of "high growth". I think Larry highlighted above that he hedges his bet on the high yield vs. high growth. I personally use the same strategy, I'm not sure it is an all or nothing decision.

I like your idea on analyzing the volatility. I think that we will see that yield and volatility have a negative correlation to each other similar to yield and growth. The higher the yield of the stock the less the volatility of course there is an upper limit on this because at a point the yield becomes too high and the dividend gets cut. It would be interesting to see if there are any key changes in metrics or fundamentals when a dividend cut is nearing and subsequently occurs.

I appreciate the kind words and happy to hear that you are finding value in the articles. It is a learning experience and journey that we are all taking together.
    Jun 26, 2012. 11:44 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Characteristics Of High Dividend Growth Companies [View article]
    Bob, thank you for the kind words! When I get home this evening I will take a look at your article and leave my thoughts.
    Jun 26, 2012. 11:00 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Characteristics Of High Dividend Growth Companies [View article]
    Larry, I would also be classified as a younger investor. I have the same hedge to my portfolio. High yield/low growth and low yield/high growth. The low yield investments are the area that will set our portfolios up for success over the long term horizon.

There does appear to be points in time that a "low yield" becomes a "medium-high yield" due to market uncertainity. When this happens all dividend growth investors should take advantage of these opportunities. Sounds like you have a great strategy and I wish you the best!
    Jun 26, 2012. 10:57 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Characteristics Of High Dividend Growth Companies [View article]
    Thank you for providing the site, and for free! I guess a free lunch does exist every now and then.
    It is an extremely helpful resource and I have used it a number of times to help me in my research.
    Jun 26, 2012. 10:51 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Dividend Growth Picks For The Week Starting June 25th [View article]
    Bob, it depends on if management is telling the truth about long term plans. I usually go with the "half truth" philosophy and thus even if half of it is true I think it will be a solid investment. I think they will show a committment to dividend growth for at least the next 5 years. Recently they had a 31% raise in the per quarter dividend payment. We will know pretty quickly (2-3 years) if they are going to realize the value out of their spin off. I think it is a good investment currently because the valuation presents an opportunity for a great reward.
    Jun 26, 2012. 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Dividend Growth Picks For The Week Starting June 18th [View article]
    Thanks RJ I appreciate the feedback. I think that WAG got more interesting today. The market appears to be overreacting to their earnings and the "Alliance Boots" deal. The emerging markets potential is something that they need and can create additional business opportunities.
    Jun 19, 2012. 02:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pepsico, Stock Spin-Offs And Their Impacts On Dividends And Total Return [View article]
    waltunkel, this is a good point. I wonder if there are any signals that indicate if they are throwing out the trash or truly looking to add shareholder value?
    Jun 15, 2012. 03:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment