Adam Gefvert, CFA

View Adam Gefvert, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Japan Crisis an Opportunity in Disguise, Especially for Apple Stock [View article]
    Yea, David, I agree however AAPL had just come off of great news with its iPad 2 sales.

Maybe you could make the argument that an index or ETF trade is a safer play for Black Swan events EXCEPT in the instance that a particular stock had great news that's unrelated to the Black Swan and the market hadn't given it enough credit yet?
    Mar 28 11:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I appreciate your post, you seem to have connected well with my article and you have a good point. I just think the market does rebound quickly when bad news happens that doesn't directly affect the fundamentals of stocks.

"Black Swans have a nasty habit of defying logic."

I agree, but not as much as is commonly thought. I believe the market is getting smarter now and adjusting quicker to reality. I think one can take advantage of these short term panics when they happen in the future.

You're absolutely right about Steve Jobs, who knows when he's gonna leave the company though, it might be in two or three years.

"There may well be an even better buying opportunity on the horizon - closer than you might think."

I hope so. I am on the lookout for more future short term illogical panics like this, in any sector. And I really hope that I will be able to take advantage of it to the utmost of my ability, and prove to all the naysayers (like you - haaa) that one can profit from these black swan events.
    Mar 28 10:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Baby-Boomer Stock [View article]
    I would like to have more data to back it up. I did mention the amount of people over the age of 55. It would be tough to find specific info on how many baby boomers buy Apple products, so this is more of a "common sense" article. However, I agree, more numerical estimations might have been good and I'm going to try to put more of that in in my future articles.
    Feb 27 03:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Baby-Boomer Stock [View article]
    No, I don't watch options too much. Although sometimes I do trade options for the extra leverage, I'm not very savvy with them.
    Feb 23 03:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Baby-Boomer Stock [View article]
    Well, AAPL was a good long term buy at $360+, I'm still holding long term. However, I didn't buy any today and am waiting for the dust to settle on the Libya fears, even though a civil war in Libya (worst case scenario) should have almost zero impact on AAPLs fundamentals. If AAPL drops another 2%+ tomorrow, I say jump in.
    Feb 23 02:00 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Baby-Boomer Stock [View article]
    Your welcome Karol! I'm always happy to share my thoughts about business trends.
    Feb 22 09:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Baby-Boomer Stock [View article]
    Jim Gabler just posted on my blog:

"Perhaps the main reason seniors are flocking to Apple products is because of the Apple stores, the place where you can learn to use the iPhone, iPad, Mac pro, iPod. No other manufacturer provides the learning classes that are available at the Apple stores. A couple of Sunday’s ago I made an early appointment with an Apple rep to Learn an iPad task and whenI looked around in the store there were about 30 people working with assigned Apple reps and every one was at least 65 or older. Where else but at an Apple store can you find that."

Very good point. Apple makes much more of an effort to teach its customers and prospective customers how to use its products than Microsoft does. If someone is retired and has an interest in learning new things and hobbies, Apple is a good company to buy from and get involved.
    Feb 21 12:21 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Baby-Boomer Stock [View article]
    Just to clarify, what I meant was actually baby-boomers AND OLDER buy Apple products, so I just used the word "senior" to encompass the 55-80 crowd.

And I agree, I am using stereotyping and ageism in the article, and I apologize if some feel offended. Obviously not everyone older than 55 is how I depict them here, however, many are and are contributing a lot to AAPL's blowing away its competition which I felt is important information to make known. I haven't seen another finance article that mentions this point.
    Feb 20 10:15 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Baby-Boomer Stock [View article]
    No prob techy. I agree shasha, Apple seems to have energized mid-lifers interest in technology. It's spreading into other countries too.
    Feb 20 08:54 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: A Baby-Boomer Stock [View article]
    When I was talking about people who fear technology, I meant mostly people above 65. They edit our articles on Seeking Alpha to make them more polished and easier to read, so sometimes things get taken out.

Please don't take the way I wrote the article to be offensive to seniors. I am just emphasizing a certain point of AAPL's dominance.
    Feb 20 07:15 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment