Akaralph

View Akaralph's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Reduce Your Portfolio's Downside Risk Before The Coming Market Correction [View article]
    Good article Bob.

I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent researching stocks, bonds etc. that performed well during the last bear market. To see the true returns, one must look at prices from the period Oct. 9, 2007 (market high) and Mar. 9, 2009 (market low).

During this period virtually nothing was spared (AGG was about the only position that performed anywhere close to decent).

With TLT, you have introduced a new candidate. During this period, TLT went from $88.10 to $103.65 - not bad at all.
    Mar 31 08:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fund Favorability Shifts Back To AllianzGI Convertibles & Income Fund I [View article]
    Who in their right mind would pay a premium for a closed-end fund?

Would you offer the grocery store $1.10 for a quart of milk marked $1.00?
    Mar 27 02:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Mortgage REITs Are Buys [View article]
    On Oct. 9, 2007 (market high) CMO closed at 10.79. On Mar. 9, 2009 (market low) CMO closed at 9.53.
    Mar 24 07:10 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Do I Do With My Stocks If The Market Crashes? Part 1 [View article]
    I hope it is wrong also, but I don't think so.

My point is that even though that was a relatively short time frame, 99.9% of stocks had their prices cut by at least half. I was fortunate in that I held several MLP's and a fair size cash position. The MLP's continued to increase distributions and I was able to double down on several at about half the price.

There are very few investors whom would hold (maybe you and I) through a debacle similar to that of 2007-2009.
    Mar 22 09:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Do I Do With My Stocks If The Market Crashes? Part 1 [View article]
    Chuck - I have tracked the prices of hundreds of stocks and CEF's from the market top on Oct. 9, 2007 to the bottom on Mar. 9, 2009. Only Wal-Mart increased in value over that period.

I feel it is very likely based on the world scenario that the next big drop will take the DOW below 6000. There is no place to hide in such a scenario, except perhaps something like LAG.

Perhaps you have some others?
    Mar 20 06:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Closer Look At North Atlantic Drilling's Opportunity In The Arctic [View article]
    Would like to know. I forgot about some NATDF shares with Schwab and they will not allow it.
    Mar 20 04:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Conversion date has passed.
    Mar 20 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Brazil Resources: A Gold And Uranium Double Play [View article]
    "The time to purchase inflation hedges such as gold mining stocks is now, before the rest of the investment herd belatedly tries to muscle in on the action and boosts their prices."

When will you be taking a position?
    Mar 20 01:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • This 7% Yielding Oil And Natural Gas Producer Deserves The Attention Of Income Investors [View article]
    When will you be selling LINE and buying PGH?
    Mar 19 02:59 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • I Love My 'Magic Pants' And My Partners Wear Them Proudly [View article]
    It seems to me that a new trend is present in SA articles, which I am sure is designed to add page views.

Have seen an increasing number of articles penned to refute specific articles written by other authors.

I think this is now happening to you Chuck.
    Mar 19 11:26 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • REIT Focus: Associated Estates Realty Corporation [View article]
    So AEC is over-priced, yet you are neither long nor short. And your point in writing this article is?
    Mar 18 11:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: The Next Great Growth Area [View article]
    My comment was for samurai.
    Mar 17 10:04 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Natural Gas: The Next Great Growth Area [View article]
    .. and I'll bet you also believe in global warming.
    Mar 17 08:16 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Caledonia Mining Is Too Cheap To Ignore [View article]
    It always helps to know when folks have skin in the game. Thanks.
    Mar 15 06:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Caledonia Mining Is Too Cheap To Ignore [View article]
    Please let us know when you plan to put your own money into play on this one.
    Mar 15 05:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment