Akaralph

View Akaralph's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Distribution Reduction In The Cards For Calumet Specialty Products? [View article]
    Philip -

Of course I am not happy with CLMT's recent coverage ratios. As far as MLP's go I try to stay with 20% Upstream, 60% Midstream and 20% Downstream/Specialty. Am presently a bit over weighted in the Upstream portion.

I have a bit under five percent in CLMT. And yes, I would lighten up with a distribution cut.
    Sep 4, 2014. 08:29 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I like to think that an article appearing on SA would not move a stock this much. Tim's articles are usually on the mark, but their are folks who get published here that haven't a clue about what they write.

That said, with what the company has said in their presentation, this article should not have moved the stock price by itself.
    Sep 3, 2014. 06:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    With regard to MLP alternatives there is an informative discussion going on on iVillage regarding MLP portfolios. Here is the link:

See the MLP % of Diversified Retirement Portfolio thread.

Upstream MLP's are not a good buy here for many reasons - mainly due to DCF not covering distributions.

For the highest degree of safety look to the midstream MLP's - those with the best coverage ratios, DCF forecasts and CAGR's. Some examples would include HEP, ETP, OKS, among others.

Tim's articles are quite good, but not all of this one seems to correlate with what CLMT is saying. Not to say that a distribution cut is out of the question as they have done it before.
    Sep 3, 2014. 11:21 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Limited: Complete Fleet Status And Second Quarter Results Analysis [View article]
    SDLP has had a little problem with DCF coverage, but it is improving.

Speaking of Frederiksen, also have owned SFL for over a year. He seems to care more about shareholders than most.
    Aug 29, 2014. 06:30 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have owned SDRL for about three years and NADL for just over two - could not be more pleased.

Enjoyed this article; a lot of detail but head and shoulders above what most other SA authors pass off as "insight" into this great company.

Considering a small position in SDLP on a decent pullback.

Keep up the insightful work!
    Aug 29, 2014. 05:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital: What Comes Next? Part 4 [View article]
    BDC -

I guess warning folks to stay away from BDC's whose NII fails to cover the dividend is "doom and gloom" and a "wild accusation". I do not believe I ever made a comment on BDC's being dropped from the indices either. At least be truthful.

I have been investing in BDC's for close to a decade and have personally owned PSEC on three occasions.
    Aug 28, 2014. 10:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • REIT Valuation Part 3: Residential [View article]
    Dane -

Good article and great analysis of the residential REIT sector.
    Aug 28, 2014. 10:05 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital: What Comes Next? Part 4 [View article]
    Buzz -

Nothing "abrasive" about it - it is the truth. And I never said I have a low opinion of your articles. Most are very good and informative. Many of my earlier comments stemmed from the fact that you used to overlook, or gloss over NII and dividend coverage, which you now seem to look at.

The biggest problem I have is that a comment that is a bit critical of your information triggers a negative response and you immediately seek to have it removed. And you say I have thin skin.

The only articles of yours that I read are those mentioning BDC's in which I have an interest.

Tell you what, I don't have time for middle school banter - I will stop reading your stuff permanently.
    Aug 28, 2014. 09:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital: What Comes Next? Part 4 [View article]
    BDC-

I actually read Factoid's analysis of BDC's mostly. He has a much better grasp on their metrics than you.
    Aug 28, 2014. 08:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital: What Comes Next? Part 4 [View article]
    BDC-

So, if I disagree with anything you write you will attack me personally? "no idea what I am talking about", "ignorant statements" etc.

I guess I will be taking a closer look at your articles going forward.
    Aug 27, 2014. 06:20 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Kinder Morgan Impacts Master Limited Partnerships [View article]
    KMI is the General Partner. MLP's do not pay dividends, they pay distributions.
    Aug 27, 2014. 04:09 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital: What Comes Next? Part 4 [View article]
    Buzz -

Interest rate increases would certainly affect those BDC's that are active borrowers, or those that have poor credit ratings.

By the way, you can post your whiny, derogatory e-mails as comments - I have no problems with that.
    Aug 27, 2014. 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital: What Comes Next? Part 4 [View article]
    I think the big concern for the entire BDC sector is the probability of interest rate increases in the next six months or so. This would adversely affect all BDC's, not just PSEC.

I liquidated my BDC holdings (MCC and TCPC) a few weeks back, and will wait on the sidelines before getting back in (hopefully).
    Aug 27, 2014. 12:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill -4% despite Q2 earnings beat, calls a halt to newbuilding orders [View news story]
    Don't forget that SDRL still has a $20B backlog.
    Aug 27, 2014. 10:14 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital: What Comes Next? Part 4 [View article]
    Buzz -

I do not think that PSEC will be cutting the dividend unless they report a few more quarters of inadequate coverage.

On the other hand I do not see any significant upside in the stock price.

Looking out a few months, changes to interest rates are likely to tank the entire sector.

I sold my BDC positions (MCC and TCPC) a few weeks ago, and will remain on the sidelines for a while.
    Aug 27, 2014. 09:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment