Akaralph

View Akaralph's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Avoid Fixed Income Risk In Your Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    varan -

Ditto my previous comment.
    Jun 19, 2014. 04:51 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoid Fixed Income Risk In Your Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    I have spent countless hours trying to determine which stocks, bonds or other investments have the potential for appreciation during the next bear market. Aside from these and WMT there are few, if any.

There are lots of articles on SA identifying bear market stocks and bonds; however, upon close inspection these all have smaller losses than the average investment. Seems silly to brag about 15% decliners versus 40% decliners doesn't it?
    Jun 19, 2014. 10:21 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Avoid Fixed Income Risk In Your Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    If you isolate performance to the period of the last bear market (10/9/2007 - 3/9/2009) you will note the following returns:

AGG +8.2%
    TLT +17.7%
    TLO +14.0%

During the most recent correction (4/29/2011 - 8/8/2011), these were the results:

AGG +2.0%
    TLT +12.4%
    TLO +12.0%

Not too bad at all.
    Jun 19, 2014. 09:47 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ivanhoe Mines: 3 Different Insiders Have Purchased Shares This Month [View article]
    You left out Ivanhoe's return on equity: -129%.

Based on the table comparing Ivanhoe with IMPUY and LNMIY it should be an easy choice to not buy Ivanhoe.
    Jun 18, 2014. 04:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Insiders Are Buying Martin Midstream Stock [View article]
    What multi-million purchases. The largest transaction is just over 7300 shares.

My agenda is a simple one - to help folks correctly evaluate MLP's, and that is certainly not by using small insider transactions.

I do not own MMLP, nor have I ever owned it or shorted it, or any other stock.

I do own 15 other MLP's, and have actively researched this sector for over a decade.
    Jun 17, 2014. 04:02 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Det Norske: 200% Upside Potential After Game-Changing Acquisition [View article]
    Choosh -

I am getting tired of reading SA articles where the author sings the praises of a stock, recommends it as an incredible buy, and then chooses to not own it.

Kind of a joke.
    Jun 17, 2014. 12:40 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Insiders Are Buying Martin Midstream Stock [View article]
    If you want to truly evaluate the merits of an MLP, use key metrics - DCF, Coverage Ratio and CAGR. These will give a much better indication of value than an "insider" buying 2 shares.
    Jun 17, 2014. 10:39 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Insiders Are Buying Martin Midstream Stock [View article]
    You draw no conclusions from the subject of your article which seems to be "Insider Purchases".

So, exactly what is your point?

If you examine MMLP's DCF over the past few years, and lack of consistent distribution increases, it is very hard to recommend buying it at these levels.
    Jun 17, 2014. 10:14 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Insiders Are Buying Martin Midstream Stock [View article]
    No, they are not.
    Jun 17, 2014. 10:04 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Insiders Are Buying Martin Midstream Stock [View article]
    MLP's pay distributions - not dividends! You should know this if you write about them.
    Jun 17, 2014. 09:51 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 7 Insiders Are Buying Martin Midstream Stock [View article]
    MMLP does NOT pay a dividend! You might bone up a bit on MLP's before writing about them.

Also, the fact that a few insiders bought very few shares has no effect on the stock - you did not draw any conclusion from your data.
    Jun 17, 2014. 09:23 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ensco: 4 Different Insiders Have Sold Shares During The Last 30 Days [View article]
    If you look at these versus the past few years of insider transactions, these look even more meaningless.

I sure would not label this as "intensive", but it does get one's attention.
    Jun 16, 2014. 04:21 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Looks like there is a pattern to this selling - same approximate volumes May/June 2013, Non/Dec. 2013, and May/June 2014.

Totally meaningless.
    Jun 16, 2014. 04:11 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Generation X Really Up A Creek? [View article]
    I guess I see things differently from ground level.

Some day I believe the markets are not going to recover from a bear cycle.
    Jun 16, 2014. 03:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Generation X Really Up A Creek? [View article]
    Roger -

Not only are Gen-X'ers up the creek but probably the other generations as well.

Do you think that with the folks running the show in D.C. (and I am speaking in a bi-partisan way), that we will escape all the following:

Russia taking back the original USSR and eastern Europe

China going after Japan/Taiwan

Israel and its on-going escalation with Iran, Hamas, and every other mid-east country

North Korea vs. anyone and everyone

The Iraq fiasco and our stupidity to seek a potential alliance with Iran?

Opening the gates to illegals, including cartel members.

I omit many of the minor potential military conflicts and, of course our own staggering economy.

Before one labels me a pessimist, let me say I do not have a pessimistic bone in my body. I am, however a hyper-realist.

So, as Neil Diamond once sang "Pack up the babies and grab the old ladies"
    Jun 16, 2014. 01:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment