Akaralph

View Akaralph's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Energy Stocks, Ranked For Wealth-Building, As Seen By Prop-Trade, Block Trade Desks [View article]
    Difficult to understand your point - are you promoting your firm here?

When you will be taking positions?
    Apr 5, 2014. 07:49 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Low-Beta / High-Yield Stocks Can Provide Protection During A Market Correction [View article]
    Dale - how many folks did that? I have relentlessly tried to uncover stocks and/or other investments (except for shorting) that increased in value during both the bear market of 2007 - 2009 and the sharp correction of 2011.

TLO and TNT seem to fit both bills.
    Apr 4, 2014. 12:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    If I am not mistaken WMT is the only stock on your list that did not get a significant haircut in the bear market of Oct. 9, 2007 - Mar. 9, 2009.
    Apr 3, 2014. 11:58 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why NLR Will Continue To Climb In 2014 [View article]
    You are bullish on uranium and you claim that NLR is a buy for the short, intermediate and long term - yet you do not own it. Why?
    Apr 3, 2014. 11:55 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Penn West Petroleum: 3 Different Insiders Have Purchased Shares During The Last 30 Days [View article]
    Looks like the "insiders" might continue to lose money.
    Apr 2, 2014. 11:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Reduce Your Portfolio's Downside Risk Before The Coming Market Correction [View article]
    Bob - ACG is not a CV closed-end fund. You can check their holdings on CEF Connect; most have 20+ year duration and are T-Bonds.

I looked at performance during the severe correction from 4/29/11 (DOW = 12,810) to the end on 8/11/11 (DOW = 10,810) and these were the results:

TLT $93.89 to $105.55 on 8/11/11
    AGG $106.46 to $108.60 on 8/11/11
    TLO $55.73 to $62.44 on 8/11/11
    LAG $56.31 to $57.61 on 8/11/11
    ACG $7.66 to $7.66 on 8/8/11
    BND $80.96 t0 $83.06 on 8/8/11

Looks like TLT and TLO are about the best for both the severe short-term correction and the longer bear market.
    Apr 1, 2014. 03:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Yep, here is the link:

No CV's that I see.
    Mar 31, 2014. 02:50 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Bob- have you looked at ACG; doesn't have the longevity but appears to have the same mix of 20+ year Treasury Bonds and currently yields about 5.6%?
    Mar 31, 2014. 10:56 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Good article Bob.

I cannot tell you how many hours I have spent researching stocks, bonds etc. that performed well during the last bear market. To see the true returns, one must look at prices from the period Oct. 9, 2007 (market high) and Mar. 9, 2009 (market low).

During this period virtually nothing was spared (AGG was about the only position that performed anywhere close to decent).

With TLT, you have introduced a new candidate. During this period, TLT went from $88.10 to $103.65 - not bad at all.
    Mar 31, 2014. 08:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Fund Favorability Shifts Back To AllianzGI Convertibles & Income Fund I [View article]
    Who in their right mind would pay a premium for a closed-end fund?

Would you offer the grocery store $1.10 for a quart of milk marked $1.00?
    Mar 27, 2014. 02:48 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mortgage REITs Are Buys [View article]
    On Oct. 9, 2007 (market high) CMO closed at 10.79. On Mar. 9, 2009 (market low) CMO closed at 9.53.
    Mar 24, 2014. 07:10 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Do I Do With My Stocks If The Market Crashes? Part 1 [View article]
    I hope it is wrong also, but I don't think so.

My point is that even though that was a relatively short time frame, 99.9% of stocks had their prices cut by at least half. I was fortunate in that I held several MLP's and a fair size cash position. The MLP's continued to increase distributions and I was able to double down on several at about half the price.

There are very few investors whom would hold (maybe you and I) through a debacle similar to that of 2007-2009.
    Mar 22, 2014. 09:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • What Do I Do With My Stocks If The Market Crashes? Part 1 [View article]
    Chuck - I have tracked the prices of hundreds of stocks and CEF's from the market top on Oct. 9, 2007 to the bottom on Mar. 9, 2009. Only Wal-Mart increased in value over that period.

I feel it is very likely based on the world scenario that the next big drop will take the DOW below 6000. There is no place to hide in such a scenario, except perhaps something like LAG.

Perhaps you have some others?
    Mar 20, 2014. 06:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A Closer Look At North Atlantic Drilling's Opportunity In The Arctic [View article]
    Would like to know. I forgot about some NATDF shares with Schwab and they will not allow it.
    Mar 20, 2014. 04:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Conversion date has passed.
    Mar 20, 2014. 02:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment