Akaralph

View Akaralph's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Protected Principal Retirement Strategy: Is There A Mortgage REIT That Can't Be Beat? [View article]
    Spreading risk is always a good decision. I do not follow ETF's so am not up on REM.
    Nov 20 12:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Would be careful about the utilities here - sensitive to interest rates.
    Nov 20 09:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Midstream MLPs - those paying around 7-8% with high CAGR's.

Most of the ones I own I have been in for many years - like EPD, TLP and XTEX. Recently bought some FISH - but it is more speculative.
    Nov 19 06:55 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Amen.
    Nov 19 06:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks Cavalaw.

One has to sell at some point. In 2008-2009 mREITs cut or terminated dividends almost overnight; some went bankrupt.

Never said there was zero chance of a price recovery - I said that near term it appears bleak. But if the market should tank as it did from 10/07 until 3/09 many would panic and sell at any price.

Bankruptcy does equal permanent loss of capital.
    Nov 19 06:53 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    My writing has slowed quite a bit lately. Have a project deadline coming up and I have gotten a bit disenchanted with the quality of some of the newer stuff appearing on SA.
    Nov 19 02:33 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thanks, too bad most of the mREIT herd doesn't.
    Nov 19 02:31 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Capital Agency Vs. Annaly Capital: Choosing Which Stock To Buy And Why [View article]
    I believe that the most certain way to be guaranteed to make money on the mREITs is to write articles on them for SA.

Funny, but true.
    Nov 17 03:52 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I certainly hope that you do well.

Unfortunately, when the mREITs tank, the good go with the bad.
    Nov 17 08:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    OK, not here to argue. So, for every point AGNC has dropped recently, you are out $18000.
    Nov 16 01:13 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    As far as the mREITs are concerned, they all cratered in the last bear market. Many of those considered "best of breed" (hate that term) went bankrupt (you can research Thornberg Mortgage which was considered invincible, and read their story).

Many economists (another term I'm not too fond of) are seeing the housing market rolling over again - who knows for sure?

Look at what has happened to NLY's share price this year, look at how their BV has declined, and finally look at the dividend cuts. This same scenario is reflected in the mREITs across the board.

Additional dividend cuts are coming - earnings simply are not providing adequate coverage.

What guarantee do you have that any recovery is in the offing?

I do not want to see anyone go through the misery these stocks caused during the last bear market. I am certainly not a basher, but I think the writing is on the wall for the mREIT sector, and I think folks should cut their losses.
    Nov 16 12:27 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    See reply to Packrat above.
    Nov 16 11:21 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Five years ago AGNC was a $20 stock - perhaps you can explain your 200% gain?

In May of this year it was over $30; how much have you lost since then?
    Nov 16 11:20 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I have no axe to grind whatsoever. Unfortunately, I experienced a portion of the mREIT debacle in 2008-2009 and have been trying to warn folks for over a year to stay away from the mREITS.

Have not, and do not own AGNC nor NLY, and I do not short stocks.

If you cannot see what has happened to the mREITs, and do not understand that further dividend cuts are in store, please, by all means continue to buy them.
    Nov 16 11:18 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The smart choice is to buy neither. Why average down when BV's continue to decline and more dividend cuts are in order?

Plain and simple - the mREITs are a foolish investment (actually I use the term "investment" very loosely).
    Nov 16 09:57 AM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment