Akaralph

View Akaralph's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Capstone Infrastructure: 3 Different Insiders Have Purchased Shares During The Last 30 Days [View article]
    15.3K shares over a ten month period is not exactly "intensive" buying.

By the way, with the stock at $4.01 today, can we assume you are in?
    Jun 3, 2014. 12:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A High Income Portfolio For A More Prosperous Retirement [View article]
    Beardog2 -

SRF is a royalty trust CEF; however, it is trading at about a 6% premium to NAV.
    Jun 3, 2014. 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A High Income Portfolio For A More Prosperous Retirement [View article]
    Bob, I am glad to see someone else present an alternative for the person that doesn't have the "magical" $1 million that all of the advisors keep talking about.

For the past two years my articles have espoused what I call "the Protected Principal" strategy.

I guess the only place I would disagree with you is the inclusion of "finite life" royalty trusts. These has been disastrous for the investor. However, sticking with a few "perpetual trusts" such as CRT, PBT and DMLP with 5% or less of the total portfolio value is just fine.

You should also consider closed-end funds for additional diversification, provided one focuses on those selling at a discount to NAV.

We need more authors focusing on the mid-rangers (those with $400K - $600K in their portfolios).
    Jun 3, 2014. 09:48 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Capital Agency Corp.'s. Dividend Sustainability Analysis (Post Q1 2014 Earnings) - Part 2 [View article]
    However, this would not have worked in 2007-2009 when many mREITs went out of business. Otherwise OK.

As I mentioned in a prior comment, I do not feel that mREITs are a sound investment for folks nearing, or at retirement.
    Jun 1, 2014. 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am very glad that you have gains in AGNC - many folks do not.
    Jun 1, 2014. 08:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    67g8i32 -

"To get in or get out is up to each person's preference. To invest in mreits or not is up to each's preference."

I couldn't agree more!

As far as my track record goes I have been investing for over 40 years, am retired and living off of dividends. I'll take that track record thank you.
    May 31, 2014. 11:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I'm sorry - I really don't like them at all. I am more focused on folks needing retirement income, and those vehicles that will provide more stability and a little less risk.

I prefer MLP's, a very few BDC's, some CEF's and I am looking further into individual eREITs.
    May 31, 2014. 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Scott -

I do too. My responsibility is to alert folks when I see problems within a stock sector. There have been plenty of them in the mREIT sector, and I believe there are more to come.

I hope that you are correct in your assessment as I do not want to see anyone lose money.
    May 31, 2014. 08:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dividends#1 -

Let's see, AGNC has cut its dividend five times since 6/09. Its earnings do not cover the present dividend. Where am I wrong about that.

Think as an mREIT fanatic you are blind.

Glad you can be entertained by losses.
    May 31, 2014. 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dividends#1 -

AGNC was just over $30 when I started telling folks to get out of the mREIT sector.

I don't give a darn what you think of me - I was correct.
    May 31, 2014. 08:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    tstreet -

I didn't say when to get back in because I wouldn't get back into mREITs at this time, or in the forseeable future.
    May 31, 2014. 08:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Don't Sweat Seadrill Partners' 61.4% Quarter-Over-Quarter Net Income Decline [View article]
    If you have never seen an MLP benefit anyone other than the GP, you have an extremely narrow field of vision.

Take a look at some of the midstream names like EPD, PAA, MWE, KMP etc. etc.
    May 31, 2014. 07:33 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Info-

I began warning folks to move out of mREITs in late 2012 (you can look it up).

Think I have been right on the money.

I do not wish to see anyone get hurt with mREITs, but they are not a good investment.
    May 30, 2014. 02:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Actually, only a simple analysis is necessary to determine the near term future for AGNC.

Since June 2009, AGNC has cut the dividend five times. Most recent quarter earnings were $.47. The most recent dividend paid was $.65.

AGNC is not earning enough to cover the dividend. Hence, by next quarter you can anticipate a further dividend cut.
    May 30, 2014. 01:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill: Cash Flow Doesn't Support Dividend [View article]
    SDRL and NADL not doing badly today at all!
    May 29, 2014. 12:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment