Akaralph

View Akaralph's Comments BY TICKER:
  • If You Think Seadrill Ltd. 11% Dividends Are Too High, Then Let's Talk About Awilco Drilling Plc. And Its Whopping 21% [View article]
    I continue to watch it. Have a pretty big position in SDRL.
    May 20, 2014. 08:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Are you going to take your own advice?
    May 20, 2014. 08:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Dividend Growth Investing: Creating Your Own Dividend By Selling Shares (Part 1) [View article]
    As they say "hindsight is always 20-20."

Have a few points to make:

1. How many of us have a million dollar portfolio when we retire? Seems like I have recently read that the average retiree has less than $75K in savings etc.

2. Why sell stock to generate living expenses? Use dividends!

3. In my writings (Protected Principal Retirement Strategy) I tried to develop a strategy for those whom are what I call "Mid-rangers". These are the folks having around $400K - $600K when they reach retirement age. This group needs to take a bit more risk - and my portfolios contain MLP's, REITs, BDC's and CEF's - hence a portfolio yield in the range of +/- 7%.

4. A dividend withdrawal strategy has these individuals seeking around $40K income a years just using dividends and leaving the principal untouched for as long as possible.

5. If one sticks to the best of the MLP's etc. it is not too difficult to assemble such a portfolio - wouldn't you think?
    May 19, 2014. 04:21 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BDC Pricing And The Russell Indices: Part 3 [View article]
    Buzz - just my opinion but to me the key BDC metric is whether or not the NII covers the Div. If it does not I will not own it.
    May 19, 2014. 10:37 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BDC Pricing And The Russell Indices: Part 3 [View article]
    Quite thorough.

Have you considered adding a column to your matrix that compares NII to the quarterly dividend for each of the past four quarters? Could just be a simple ratio of NII/DIV
    May 19, 2014. 08:38 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Are Today's Doorbusting CEF Discounts? [View article]
    Adam - A good way to look at premiums and discounts with CEF's is to compare the current discount to the 52 week average, high and low discount (which can be found on CEF Connect also).

Purchasing a CEF at a discount greater than the 52 week low discount (if possible) gives an added edge.
    May 17, 2014. 07:44 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10%+ Dividend Payer Annaly Capital Is Still A Safe Place To Put Your Money [View article]
    None of them!
    May 16, 2014. 03:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I have looked at the mREIT industry for over 8 years. Unfortunately, I learned a hurtful lesson in 2008.

MY eyes are wide open - believe me.

You speak of a 16 year time frame. How many folks do you think have owned an mREIT for 16 years? My guess would be close to none.
    May 13, 2014. 08:27 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    The other thing I cannot figure out about this article is the use of the word "Still" in the title.

How can NLY "Still" be a "Safe" place to put your money when the stock price has been in decline from just under $18 in late 2012 to the current level around the $11 mark? To say nothing of the dividend reductions.
    May 12, 2014. 12:09 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It is unfortunate that the mREIT crowd refuse to believe this.

Look at the declines in mREIT stock prices, BV and dividends since 12/12, and we are not yet back into a 2008 scenario.

These folks are going to lose a lot of money over the next few years.

Note: Before anyone asks why I haven't warned of this before, they can check my comments on the mREIT sector since late Nov. 2012 when I began to suggest getting out of the mREITs.
    May 12, 2014. 12:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    With eight dividend cuts since 6/11, NLY certainly does resemble a bank. Last time I checked, my bank has followed a similar pattern of interest rate reductions.

I like the author's rationalization about NLY's earnings "they came reasonably close to covering the dividend". Truth is earnings of $.23 are no where close to covering the $.30 dividend and one can look for a further dividend cut in the near future.

But, on the positive side, I guess our stocks only have to come close to dividend coverage in the future.
    May 12, 2014. 09:14 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Big Oil Under Serious Threat [View article]
    Funny article.
    May 9, 2014. 07:02 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SandRidge Energy: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet [View article]
    Absolutely not. I do own a bit of PER though.
    May 9, 2014. 12:08 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Cohen & Steers Infrastructure Is Worth A Look [View article]
    UTF along with JRI are two solid plays on infrastructure.
    May 9, 2014. 11:29 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SandRidge Energy: You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet [View article]
    "The stock is a buy here"

When will you be investing your own money in SD?
    May 9, 2014. 08:40 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment