Akaralph

View Akaralph's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Top 3 Monthly Dividend Stocks For A Roth IRA [View article]
    Good overall strategy, particularly including VNR.

You might want to re-visit PSEC though. Third quarter NII failed to cover the dividend, fourth quarter and first quarter 2014 are not expected to cover the dividend either. Better BDC's out there now.
    Jan 22, 2014. 10:31 AM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PIMCO's Strategic Global Government Common Fund Is Now A Buy [View article]
    Being semi-retired I have a longer term outlook. Midstream MLP's, some CEF's, a few BDC's and the like.

I just have a general prejudice about paying more for a CEF than its NAV.
    Jan 21, 2014. 11:02 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • PIMCO's Strategic Global Government Common Fund Is Now A Buy [View article]
    I too look for an 8% yield (or better) on CEF's.

As far as RCS is concerned, there are (to me) significant negatives: 1) high leverage as you mention - good in a bull market, bad in a bear; 2) I don't pay a premium for CEF's. If RCS were to drop below its low premium level or 4% it might be more attractive; 3) the 1.55% expense ratio is quite high.

It is a good one to keep an eye on though.
    Jan 21, 2014. 10:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • NGL Energy Partners: Price Is Wrong, Growth Is Right [View article]
    NGL is an MLP. As such, the financials that matter are not revenues and EPS, but DCF, the coverage ratio and CAGR.

Seeing no mention of these metrics, your information is questionable at best.
    Jan 20, 2014. 06:22 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Just Energy Group: This Growing Utility Yields Over 10%, Paid Monthly [View article]
    Jonathan -

All of the data in the Financials and Performance part of your article are quite negative, yet in your Conclusion you state that you "believe" the dividend to be safe. What is the data-backed basis for this statement.

I follow JE and wouldn't touch it.
    Jan 19, 2014. 09:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Triangle Capital Suffers From Repayments: But Is It An Opportunity? [View article]
    I did read that. The potential for higher dividends is there based upon their NII by itself.
    Jan 18, 2014. 12:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    You examine three different scenarios and then say none of these are likely. So, what was your point?
    Jan 18, 2014. 11:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly: No One Is Talking About Insider Buying, But They Should Be [View article]
    The fact that these "insiders" have purchased NLY tells me that most of them are not any brighter than the average retail investor.
    Jan 17, 2014. 01:33 PM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Selecting The Best Sectors For Your Retirement Portfolio [View article]
    John - Unfortunately, in a bear market EVERY sector declines. Consumer staples are a great addition to one's portfolio, but losing 16% is not superior to holding cash.
    Jan 17, 2014. 09:52 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Has Bottomed: Multiple Reasons To Run For The Hills [View article]
    My point is a simple one. mREIT dividends have been cut, cut and cut again. BV's are declining and additional dividend cuts are forthcoming.

Check what happened to the mREIT sector in 2008 -2009. While the eREITs also declined, the cream of the crop did not reduce dividends.

Plain and simple, the mREIT sector will continue to decline.
    Jan 16, 2014. 11:13 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Has Bottomed: Multiple Reasons To Run For The Hills [View article]
    Let's see. mREITs have been cutting dividends for several quarters now - don't see that with the eREITs.
    Jan 16, 2014. 09:56 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Annaly Has Bottomed: Multiple Reasons To Run For The Hills [View article]
    Brad -

The reason for so many mREIT articles is that some of the authors are trying to recoup their losses by writing articles.
    Jan 16, 2014. 09:30 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Prospect Capital: A 12% Yield Backed By Strong Loan Originations [View article]
    I have owned PSEC in the past, but have recently sold the position. Few of the BDC's look really good going forward at this time.

Factoids provides the best analysis of the BDC asset class of anyone on SA.

I have cut my BDC positions to one - TCPC, and about the only one I am looking to add to my portfolio would be MCC.
    Jan 15, 2014. 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Target: Bad News Equals Buy Window [View article]
    Never been either long or short TGT.

Just common sense - they are in a mess.
    Jan 13, 2014. 04:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Target: Bad News Equals Buy Window [View article]
    Well, I guess the cashiers know what they are talking about - NOT. Their jobs will be at stake - what would you expect them to say.

Seems to me the Target mess began in the early Fall and they chose to not mention it for two months.
    Jan 13, 2014. 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment