Akaralph

View Akaralph's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Plug Power: Worth $1.76 Per Share [View article]
    I have no assumptions about PLUG - do not own it and never had.

Just read the article as a point of interest and found it to be lacking.
    Jun 6, 2014. 10:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Plug Power: Worth $1.76 Per Share [View article]
    Regardless of the author's valuation, the article lacks any real factual information with which to back his assumptions. Pretty easy to say "I assume this", "I assume that". Pure supposition.

This article is a prime reason why there needs to be close reviews made by the SA editors prior to acceptance.
    Jun 5, 2014. 02:15 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Eagles Dare? [View article]
    If you own it in an IRA there should be no withholding.
    Jun 4, 2014. 12:46 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Where Eagles Dare? [View article]
    Don't think one can compare Argent with Eagle.
    Jun 4, 2014. 12:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Capstone Infrastructure: 3 Different Insiders Have Purchased Shares During The Last 30 Days [View article]
    Looks like you made a good choice - maybe I will get the opportunity also.
    Jun 4, 2014. 11:14 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Tom-

I also see a big drop in price between April 2011 and December 2011 (from the $8's to the $3's).

I do not "follow" technical's when trading. I do however look at longer term trends and gaps - that's as far as it goes.

It is interesting to note that MCQPF has gaps at $3.95, $3.72, $3.67 and $3.56. Sometimes these can be used to establish limit orders.

I would consider buying some in the $3.60's, but that may not happen.
    Jun 4, 2014. 10:25 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Tom-

When I look at Capstone's history I see a stock that periodically takes a big dive.

As I mentioned I have been looking at it a little closer of late. I am attracted far more by the current P/S, P/B, revenue and earnings increases than by a few folks buying a few shares. Not exactly enthralled by the debt/equity ratio, but it is a utility.

Looking back, on Jan 22, 2012, MCQPF was trading at $4.17 and paying $.075 quarterly (according to Yahoo Finance). That equates to an annual yield of 7.19%.

The stock seems to be stuck in the $3.50 - $4.00 range for about 2 1/2 years - I'll wait for a little better breakout myself.
    Jun 4, 2014. 09:28 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Tom-

The float is over 96 million shares. We do not know the circumstances of this "intensive" buying of just over 15K shares.

You might want to look more at their fundamentals before buying.

Incidentally, I follow MCQPF myself, and the last thing I would look at is insignificant insider buying. Now if it was a million shares it might be meaningful.
    Jun 3, 2014. 07:06 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Actually, it is useless.
    Jun 3, 2014. 03:54 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    15.3K shares over a ten month period is not exactly "intensive" buying.

By the way, with the stock at $4.01 today, can we assume you are in?
    Jun 3, 2014. 12:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • A High Income Portfolio For A More Prosperous Retirement [View article]
    Beardog2 -

SRF is a royalty trust CEF; however, it is trading at about a 6% premium to NAV.
    Jun 3, 2014. 11:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A High Income Portfolio For A More Prosperous Retirement [View article]
    Bob, I am glad to see someone else present an alternative for the person that doesn't have the "magical" $1 million that all of the advisors keep talking about.

For the past two years my articles have espoused what I call "the Protected Principal" strategy.

I guess the only place I would disagree with you is the inclusion of "finite life" royalty trusts. These has been disastrous for the investor. However, sticking with a few "perpetual trusts" such as CRT, PBT and DMLP with 5% or less of the total portfolio value is just fine.

You should also consider closed-end funds for additional diversification, provided one focuses on those selling at a discount to NAV.

We need more authors focusing on the mid-rangers (those with $400K - $600K in their portfolios).
    Jun 3, 2014. 09:48 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • American Capital Agency Corp.'s. Dividend Sustainability Analysis (Post Q1 2014 Earnings) - Part 2 [View article]
    However, this would not have worked in 2007-2009 when many mREITs went out of business. Otherwise OK.

As I mentioned in a prior comment, I do not feel that mREITs are a sound investment for folks nearing, or at retirement.
    Jun 1, 2014. 09:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I am very glad that you have gains in AGNC - many folks do not.
    Jun 1, 2014. 08:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    67g8i32 -

"To get in or get out is up to each person's preference. To invest in mreits or not is up to each's preference."

I couldn't agree more!

As far as my track record goes I have been investing for over 40 years, am retired and living off of dividends. I'll take that track record thank you.
    May 31, 2014. 11:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment