Akaralph

View Akaralph's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Finding Value In Brazilian Utilities [View article]
    Probably why he doesn't own any of them.
    Apr 16 08:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Solar Capital Yields X And Triangle Capital Yields Y [View article]
    I think that all of us whom invest in BDCs need to be hyper-vigilant, particularly in light of the markets today.

Historically, even the best of the BDCs suffer painfully in bear markets.
    Apr 15 01:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Protected Principal Retirement Strategy: Quarter 1 Portfolio Performance [View article]
    I like the four we own. Have no intention of adding to any at this point. FRHLF I believe is far and away the best of the bunch.
    Apr 15 10:18 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Scooter

Two of my previous articles highlight some of my ideas. Thinking seriously about MIN, JGG, BKT, PSSAX, GRZZX and ETJ.
    Apr 15 08:04 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • PIMCO Global StocksPLUS & Income Fund PGP: A High Yield Dividend Option, Is It Sustainable? [View article]
    PGP is selling at a 52.5% premium to NAV.

Buying PGP is the same as paying $1.52 for a quart of milk worth $1.00

Makes zero sense.
    Apr 14 10:07 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Protected Principal Retirement Strategy: A Bear Market Alternative, And One For Good Measure [View article]
    Thanks, I sure hope so.
    Apr 13 11:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10% Return In Q1 For 'Savvy Senior' IRA - Now What Do We Do? [View article]

See paragraph 5.
    Apr 6 04:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10% Return In Q1 For 'Savvy Senior' IRA - Now What Do We Do? [View article]
    Think that I led you the wrong way. What I am saying is that is a CEF charges let's say a fee of 4% and the distribution yield is 11%, then in effect you are only receiving a net of 7%.
    Apr 6 03:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10% Return In Q1 For 'Savvy Senior' IRA - Now What Do We Do? [View article]
    Thanks. CEFs are like mutual funds in that the fees are similar to loads and 12b-1 fees. As far as I can find anywhere they come out of one's holdings.

Corporations are an entirely different animal.

I have been investing in CEFs for many years and have yet to find anything to the contrary.

I have watched OXLC for about a year now so thanks for your efforts.
    Apr 6 12:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 10% Return In Q1 For 'Savvy Senior' IRA - Now What Do We Do? [View article]
    Steven - the link that you have provided no longer works. I will look further.

It is normal for a CEF to state that expenses are paid for by the fund. Usually comes from monies invested by shareholders I believe.

You say "Shareholders receive distributions without deductions for expenses or anything else for that matter." I would like to see where this statement is a part of their semi-annual report.

Thanks for the effort.
    Apr 6 09:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10% Return In Q1 For 'Savvy Senior' IRA - Now What Do We Do? [View article]
    I went to OXLC's website and reviewed all of their financial information. No where does it allude to what you are saying. I will be more than pleased to apologize if you can provide documentation that the 13.9% yield is after fees are deducted.
    Apr 5 07:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10% Return In Q1 For 'Savvy Senior' IRA - Now What Do We Do? [View article]
    Agree, would stay clear of this one. VTA is also a floating rate CEF, lower yield but better quality IMO.
    Apr 5 04:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10% Return In Q1 For 'Savvy Senior' IRA - Now What Do We Do? [View article]
    It is paying a distribution yield of 13.91 percent. The total fees are 6.15 percent. 13.91 - 6.15 = 7.76 (more or less).
    Apr 5 04:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10% Return In Q1 For 'Savvy Senior' IRA - Now What Do We Do? [View article]
    As long as one looks at OXLC realistically - you are actually getting 7.76 percent yield not 13.91 percent.
    Apr 5 04:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10% Return In Q1 For 'Savvy Senior' IRA - Now What Do We Do? [View article]
    Steven -

OXLC's fees etc. currently total 6.15 percent. Isn't that just a bit (hugely) high?
    Apr 5 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment