Alan Brochstein, CFA

View Alan Brochstein, CFA's Comments BY TICKER:
AAPL, ABPI, ACET, ACF, ADY, AEO, AFL, AGCO, AGG, AGN, AKAM, ALGN, ALGT, ALTR, AMAT, AME, AMJ, AMRN, AMT, ANIK, ANN, APKT, APOG, ARCB, ARCC, ARO, ASFI, ATMI, ATX, AUXL, AVP, AVTC, AVX, AYR, B, BAC, BBBY, BBK, BBOX, BCPC, BEN, BFAM, BGFV, BH, BHE, BIZD, BIZM, BJRI, BKCC, BLPG, BNCC, BPO, BRCM, BRDT, BSET, BSX, BTH, BYI, CAG, CAH, CAKE, CANN, CANV, CAS, CATO, CBCAE, CBIS, CBRL, CCC, CDWC, CE, CENT, CFC, CFR, CHEF, CHS, CHSI, CLB, CLF, CLH, CLRK, CMG, CPRT, CREE, CRR, CRWS, CSCO, CSCX, CSH, CSL, CSS, CTL, CTSH, CVD, CVS, CVX, DAKT, DE, DFS, DGI, DGX, DIA, DKS, DMLP, DORM, DRIV, EA, EAPH, EDE, EES, ELY, ENRT, ENV, ESL, ESRX, EWRS, EWSM, EXAC, EXAS, EZPW, FAST, FCFS, FINL, FIO, FIVE, FL, FLIR, FLO, FNGN, FRAN, FRD, FRTD, FSC, FULL, FXE, GAIN, GCVRZ, GE, GEGSQ, GEOY, GLD, GLDD, GM, GMCR, GNI, GNTX, GOOG, GTAT, GTY, GWPH, HAS, HBIO, HEMP, HLF, HOLX, HP, HPQ, HRL, HRS, HURN, IIVI, IJR, IM, INFY, INGR, INTC, IR, IRG, ISRG, ITW, IWM, IYH, JCP, JNJ, JOSB, JPM, JW.A, KBALB, KCAP, KSWS, L, LAND, LAYN, LEDR, LEH, LIHR, LINE, LMNX, LNCO, LNKD, LOW, LQDT, LVB, MAKO, MASI, MAT, MATK, MBND, MCF, MCHP, MCIG, MDBX, MDT, MFLO, MFLX, MGT, MIDD, MJMD, MJNA, MKC, MLI, MMR, MNK, MPAA, MPR, MSFT, MSM, MW, MWW, NATI, NBY, NEM, NGVC, NICK, NTAP, NUVA, NVLX, NVT, OAS, OCLS, OHI, OMEX, OMI, ONTY, OPK, OPTN, ORB, ORN, OUTR, OXPS, PANW, PAYX, PBI, PCOM, PCP, PETS, PHOT, PLPC, PLPL, PNNT, PNR, POWR, PRIM, PSMT, PTNT, PTY, PWER, PXD, QCOM, QQQ, QUMU, RAVN, RDSMY, REZ, RMD, ROSE, ROVI, RRC, RRGB, RSH, RTIX, RTSX, SCVL, SD, SDRL, SDY, SEB, SFE, SHFL, SIG, SIRF, SIRI, SKF, SKX, SLXP, SMCI, SNY, SPY, SRC, SRE, STJ, STKL, SUNE, SURW, SWI, SYNO, TA, TARO, TCAP, TDG, TDW, TECD, THO, TIBX, TICC, TITN, TLT, TQQQ, TRLG, TRTC, TST, TUES, TWGP, TWI, TWM, TXN, TXRH, TYPE, UGHS, UHAL, ULTA, UNFI, UNXL, USNA, VAPE, VAR, VIFL, VMC, VMEM, VNO, VOLC, VRNG, VRTS, VSH, VZ, WAG, WBMD, WCG, WDAY, WFC, WFM, WIRE, WMS, WMT, WRLS, WSM, WSR, WTW, XEC, XLF, XLK, XLP, XLY, XOM, XONE, XUII, YELP, YHOO, ZINC, ZMH
  • When Pot Stocks Aren't So High: Looking In The Bargain Bin For Opportunity [View article]
    Thanks. They are listed as well in the S-1
    Jul 26 08:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    There are 23mm shares outstanding and 10mm warrants at $1 and 10mm at $2 roughly. Lazarus Investment Partners recently acquired shares on the open market, adding to their position at about $1.20:

The freshest info is in the S-1 filed today:

Jul 25 08:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Tipping Point Of Creative Edge Nutrition [View instapost]
    I don't have that power, but I suggest that everyone who wishes that this were published by SA contact SA and request it nicely. SA gets paid zero for instablogs, but it sells ads on published articles. Let SA know that it is missing clicks.
    Jul 24 09:59 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Tipping Point Of Creative Edge Nutrition [View instapost]
    I agree, very well said, Matt. I wish the broader cannabis-focused investing community would become less polarized and realize that most of us have the same hopes regarding the expansion of medical and legal marijuana and making sound investments in order to potentially capitalize.

I think that all of us benefit when people take the time time to look at the positives and the negatives. As an investment community, let's encourage companies to rise up. Just because they are penny stocks, doesn't mean that they have to act like them. I am not singling out FITX, by the way.
    Jul 24 09:28 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Tipping Point Of Creative Edge Nutrition [View instapost]
    I hope that SA will reconsider or work with rise51 to get published. This is a very strong effort.
    Jul 24 09:24 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Tipping Point Of Creative Edge Nutrition [View instapost]
    Rise51, I just read this and would encourage you to keep working at getting it through editorial. I noticed several spelling errors and grammar issues - this is something for which SA has little patience.
    Jul 24 06:59 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Capitalizing On Cannabis: A Dark Cloud Lingers [View article]
    Thanks, Mike. I started off very clearly stating that the market wasn't yet for "investing". Subscribers can read the original blog when I launched the first model portfolio - here is an excerpt:

"This is our first trade. As a reminder, the paper portfolio will be funded at $10K. I would love to recommend shorts, but that's not real feasible, so the portfolio is long-only. Please keep in mind that it is high-risk. I expect to hold up to 5 names maximum. The minimum position size will be 10%, the average 20%, and the maximum 30%. This sector is extremely high-risk. I don't know yet what kind of turnover I expect. This is really just an extra feature that, like the rest of the service, will certainly evolve over time."

I always joke that I was optimistic calling it 420 Investor instead of 420 Trader. I do look forward to the time when the sector is more suited to investment. As I always point out, penny stocks are inherently risky as are any stocks of companies that don't produce substantial operating income or have significant tangible equity.
    Jul 22 06:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Capitalizing On Cannabis: A Dark Cloud Lingers [View article]
    Thanks for the many supportive comments. I should have stayed with my general policy of ignoring comments that are hostile and off-topic. This article had nothing to do with my views on stocks in the sector, and much of this discussion has no connection to the article, which is a disappointing distraction.

I am very open with my subscribers and anyone else who is interested in discussing the challenges of running model portfolios in a rapidly declining market. If anyone has questions, they can DM me or contact me by email as well (420investor@gmail.com). The bottom-line is that my short-term oriented portfolio, which I call Flying High, is up year-to-date, though it is down dramatically from its peak. In hindsight, I wish I had done a better job of moving to cash. I explained this in great detail to my subscribers. My more recently launched portfolio, 420 Opportunity, which is explicitly charged with outperforming the Benzinga 420 Marijuana Index, has declined in value, but dramatically less so than the market. It's very easy to cherry-pick information to disparage someone, especially if that is one's intent.

Now, please sign the petition: http://chn.ge/1jq1QHb
    Jul 22 01:35 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GBLX: Planting Flags Now To Plant Seeds Later.... [View instapost]
    It has been frustrating for investors to see the stock get hammered after the "good news" - the company's financial backers converted debt to stock and hit the bid. Hopefully, this is behind. I like the idea of owning the stock in the low 1s - the company has seen insider buying and has a nice self-funding mechanism if it can make fundamental progress. Thanks for taking the time to bring it up...
    Jul 21 06:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It would be helpful to include market caps. If you were to do so, I believe you might conclude that MDBX and CANV weren't great choices to include. From a technical perspective, they are very risky, as they have each sold privately shares at deep discounts over the past year, and as they unlock it will put selling pressure on the names. In the case of MDBX, they also "gave" common shareholders an extra share at the beginning of the year, but the shares were restricted from sale for a year. This could create massive selling pressure. I get a market cap of over $700mm for MDBX (assuming conversion of preferred) and over $200mm for CANV - not exactly bargains.
    Jul 20 08:54 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • MediJane Holdings: The Next Marijuana Penny Stock To Collapse [View article]
    Nice work, as it is clear that you have looked deeply into this one. I say that without judging your conclusions, but my own look into the name a couple of months ago suggested some potential issues. One thing I would point out is that the company apparently intends to file the 10-Q today per their late notification.
    Jul 18 08:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Capitalizing On Cannabis: A Dark Cloud Lingers [View article]
    Call Marketfy and ask them. I can't delete anything and don't believe that they do either.

Yes, we know everything you do is apparently "obsessive"! Please share those screenshots - you can email them to 420investor@gmail.com.
    Jul 17 04:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Capitalizing On Cannabis: A Dark Cloud Lingers [View article]
    Thanks, Mikie. It is bewildering! We spend a lot of time at 420 Investor discussing risks and educating investors. I don't "promote" stocks either as some might suggest. The overall market is full of scam companies - we spend our time looking for a few that might have a shot at success over time. Even then, the valuations can be insane. We have always characterized this sector as highly speculative and geared towards trading and not "buy and hold". The real deals are in private placements, but those aren't accessible to the vast majority of investors (need to be accredited).
    Jul 17 12:32 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Capitalizing On Cannabis: A Dark Cloud Lingers [View article]
    The complete portfolio results are public record. To cherry-pick and manipulate to suit one's purpose is dishonest. There are two portfolios. The one created in September 2013 has more than doubled since then and is up in 2014. The one created in April 2014 was clearly stated to be designed to beat the overall market, and it has done so handily. Not every trade or investment works out. I am no Ackman, but ask him! I have never offered perfection and don't expect to achieve it.
    Jul 17 12:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Capitalizing On Cannabis: A Dark Cloud Lingers [View article]
    For anyone who wants to know what my subscribers really think, it's accessible right here: http://bit.ly/1gKk8Aa

There are 468 written reviews and 969 ratings. 881 give the service 4 or 5 stars. That's 91%. Not too shabby.

Here's a great example of a very recent written review:

"Very professional service. We are lucky to have someone like Alan who, with the CFA background, brings a level of competence and diligence that is easily the pinnacle in this area. Additionally the members also provide key insights and thorough research that along with Alan's research and judgment makes this an exceptional and essential resource for anyone interested in capitalizing on this timely opportunity in the cannabis sector."

Here is another:

"The thing when starting out as a newbie is finding a reference point to begin your journey into knowledge; especially in an extremely volatile market. This site has given me that and Alan Brochstein's communication with his member's is impeccable. I was apprehensive on the price at first but quickly learned that my membership is a bargain. The amount of work AB puts into this thing is amazing!"
    Jul 17 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment