Alan Young

View Alan Young's Comments BY TICKER:
AAPL, ABAT, ABB, ACAS, ACG, ACPW, ADRZF, AET, AFK, AFL, AGA, AGNC, AIG, AMCO, AMSC, AMTD, AMZN, AOBI, APWR, ARCC, ARR, BAC, BBK, BCL, BDD, BHP, BIF, BKCC, BKLN, BOM, BP, BPT, BRF, BRK.A, BRK.B, BWZ, BX, BZA, C, CAF, CALM, CAT, CBS, CDCAQ, CDE, CEO, CET, CEW, CGA, CGW, CH, CHC, CHL, CIM, CMEDQ, CMFO, COMV, CPST, CREE, CS, CVX, CVY, CXCHF, CYB, DAG, DBC, DBP, DBV, DDM, DEE, DGP, DGWIY, DIA, DIG, DIS, DLS, DSX, DTO, DTYS, DYY, DZZ, E, EBAY, ECA, ECH, EEM, EEP, EEV, EGPT, EIDO, EMR, ENOC, EOC, ERX, ESI, EUO, EV, EWC, EWD, EWJ, EWK, EWO, EWS, EWW, EWY, EWZ, EXM, EZA, FAF, FAS, FAV, FAX, FIATY, FISV, FNIO, FOF, FPX, FRO, FSLR, FSYS, FXC, FXI, GAF, GARS, GAZ, GDX, GE, GEOY, GGP, GIM, GLD, GM, GMF, GOOG, GRBEQ, GRID, GRN, GS, GXG, HOGS, HQSM, HRB, HTGC, HTM, HTR, HTS, HYFXY, HYG, IBM, IDX, IEF, IGOV, IHF, INFY, IQNT, ISHG, ITRI, IVV, IWB, IYF, IYH, IYR, IYT, JCI, JEC, JNK, JO, JPM, KME, KMP, KODK, KOL, LEHMQ, LNKD, LQD, LTPZ, LVS, LYSCF, MAA, MBI, MCO, MCP, MELI, MER, MJNA, MNGGF, MON, MRVL, MS, MSFT, MVV, MXWL, NBG, NEMFF, NFEC, NFLX, NFYIF, NGLPF, NLY, NM, NMM, NOK, NSANY, NWS, NYMT, NYT, OCN, OII, OIL, ONP, OPEN, OPTT, PALL, PBR, PBW, PCH, PCL, PCY, PDI, PDS, PFF, PG, PGF, PGX, PIE, POPE, PRAA, PRGN, PSCC, PSCD, PSCE, PSCF, PSCH, PSCI, PSCM, PSCT, PSCU, PSEC, PSK, PVI, QID, QLD, RBXLF, RDY, REMX, REZ, RF, RINO, RIO, RJA, ROM, RSG, RSX, RUGGF, RX, RXL, SAA, SAN, SBUX, SCHA, SCHB, SCHF, SCHW, SCHX, SDRL, SDS, SEA, SGG, SHLD, SKOR, SLV, SLW, SPLS, SPXL, SPY, SQM, SRS, SSLT, SSO, STEC, STP, STPZ, SU, SUNS, SWC, SWZ, T, TAN, TAO, TBT, TCRD, TEVA, THD, TIP, TKC, TLK, TM, TNA, TRIT, TSL, TTF, TTM, TUR, TWM, TWO, TZA, UBS, UCC, UGE, UKF, UKK, UKW, UNG, UPW, URE, USD, USO, UTRA, UUP, UVG, UVT, UVU, UWM, UXI, UYG, UYM, VIV, VNM, VVR, VWO, VXX, WFC, WFM, WIP, WIT, WM, WMCR, WMT, WPRT, WY, XHB, XIDEQ, XLB, XLE, XLF, XLI, XLK, XLP, XLU, XLV, XLY, XOM, XOP, YPF
  • Dividend Yields Soar [View article]
    ACAS has convinced some analysts that its dividend is safe. As a BDC, it must return a high % of its earnings to shareholders. I have no illusions that I'm going to keep getting the same return on it thru the next year's economic difficulties, but even if the divi is cut in half, it's a bargain. By the same reasoning, LYG and BKK are other good income bets.
    Jul 10 12:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Who Will Crack the CIGS Nut in Thin Film? [View article]
    It would have been nice if the title acronym had been explained-- obviously a lot of readers don't know it.
    Other than that--thanks for an informative update.
    Jul 9 06:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Diversification Can Be Everything [View article]
    Thanks for the chart. I'd seen (and saved) an earlier article about the THEORY of correlations changing over time, but this is the first place I've seen it quantified. Very helpful!
    Jul 8 12:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Look at Four Polysilicon-Based PV Manufacturers' Funding [View article]
    As a recent and somewhat worried solar investor, I appreciate being able to read all sides of the discussion in the format. Seeking Alpha is a great resource! I'm especially looking forward to reading more from Jack Y.
    Jul 8 12:07 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking for an Inflation Linked Parking Spot [View article]
    You forgot WIP, which invests only in non-US inflation-protected securities. Other governments are more honest about inflation rates than ours, and the interest is higher to begin with, so it's a much better bet, IMO.
    Jul 7 05:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Commodities Are 'Red Hot' but Are They 'Green'? [View article]
    GMiki's question is a good one--that perplexes me, too.
    There is one commodity you can buy with assurance that it's "green": GRN. It's one of the Barclay's iPath single-commodity ETNs, which give you a nice choice of what to invest in.
    However, these ETNs have a drawback which invites more scrutiny. The sponsor, Barclay's Bank, doesn't take possession of the actual commodities, but just trades paper futures. Should a liquidity problem arise, either with the futures market or with the bank, it would be tough luck for the note holder. Of course, we know that could never happen, right? Hmmm...
    Jul 7 01:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Oil and the Futures Market [View article]
    Maybe I'm slow, but I'm still on the actual issues in the article, and not trying to save the world. I don't get this:
    "since speculators never take delivery, the spot price is solely a function of supply/demand."
    If the market price is unaffected by all the speculators buying contracts, how do the speculators profit? Do we really think we can buy into a market en masse and have no effect on the price? I don't know of any other market that works that way.

But don't blame the pension funds--they have a fiduciary duty to stay solvent, and when every other market is disintegrating, there's no choice but to go where there's profit to be made.

Strongly agree with the conclusion: the only solution for oil importing countries is to reduce consumption. That is easy to do: we had plenty of warning, and we could all have cars getting 35 mpg by now instead of the US average of 22 or so. The US has been slow and stupid on this issue, and we'll be paying for it a long time.
    Jul 5 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What's Wrong with Today's Value Investing? [View article]
    According to one analysis I've read, value stocks outperform growth when credit is easily available== not particularly when markets are down. If that's true, then there's nothing wrong with the value model; it's just the wrong environment.
    Jul 2 12:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Wind ETF Cools Off Sunburned Portfolios [View article]
    Thanks, Tom, you make some good points.

As it happens, I do have just about $20k to invest in Alternative Energy, but if I implemented your strategy, I'd have a lot of trading costs, at $9 per pick. That hardly beats managed-fund expense, especially if I have to revise some of the picks.

My other concern is the liquidity/spread of the .PK issues. Can you comment on this? I especially like Sharp and New Flier.

--Aalan
    Jun 30 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Timber ETFs...Without the Timber? [View article]
    Thanks, George, good call. I've been wanting to buy forestland but the closest I've been able to find so far, as a small investor, is WY and PCH. The fact that some people buy pulp mills and mistake them for trees shows how shallow our understanding can be.
    Jun 30 10:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I'm Cutting Ultrashort Financial [View article]
    I don't understand why you would do T/A on an ultra-short fund, which is an artificial derivative, rather than on the underlying index. If the index shows indications of being oversold, that would justify getting out of the short position, but Mark doesn't say that.
    Jun 27 08:48 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Can Offshore Drilling Bring Down Gas Prices? [View article]
    Poor Chad--tries to voice a moderate opinion and gets shouted down by revved-up extremists.

The variable that most people don't seem to grasp is; if we are going to reduce our oil imports by 9% -- or 20%, or 60% -- we can and must do that by learning to economize. We already did it once, and there's much better technology available now.
    It would cost us nothing, for example, to start building and driving smaller cars. Next, for the price of a couple dozen oil-drilling platforms (more or less) invested in electric-grid efficiency, public transit, and alternative-energy subsidies, we could save far more fossil fuel than any drilling program.

And then, 50=60 years from now when oil is not just expensive but actually rare, we would still have it in reserve. That would be a lot smarter than anything I've heard in the "drill now" panic attack. Are we going to leave our children and grandchildren anything other than trillions of dollars in debts?
    Jun 19 08:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Regions Financial Due for a Bounce? [View article]
    Thank you for the detailed analysis, Turley. Nice work.
    I can see the point of the critics who think there aren't enough writedowns. Given this economy, flooding disaster, etc. the NPL figures are way too low. Still, at price/book ratio of 0.4, I think you are right about most of this already being priced in. The stock is oversold by any measure that I know of.
    While I was checking this out, I see that it bottomed out at 10.41 today; as I write it's "up" to 11.13. So you may have just nailed the bottom for us. I'm betting (a little bit) on it.

Jun 19 03:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • By the Numbers, Mining Stocks are Undervalued [View article]
    Thank you for the handy calculator!

I'm not too interested in betting on gold, but I wonder if you have developed similar ways of calculating the value of iron/copper/nickel mining stocks?

Jun 15 07:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Profiting from Panic-Selling in Trina [View article]
    Mark,
    From other coverage I read, the message the conference-call group got was that margins were going to be hurt by rising Si costs, which Trina doesn't have locked in. On one hand, I'd love to make a bet based on your insight. OTOH, did you take the downside into account, as well?

Jun 8 06:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment