Albert Alfonso

View Albert Alfonso's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Vanguard Natural Resources: The Distribution Is About To Head Lower [View article]
    The distributions for 2014 were already budgeted in. The new 2015 distribution was recently announced. As expected, a cut occurred.
    Feb 17, 2015. 12:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • American Capital Mortgage: Stuck In A Rut [View article]
    DHL-2,

That seems like a safe move. I have been looking at doing something like that as well. Just hate selling at a double-digit discount to NAV.
    Feb 17, 2015. 12:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Key Highlights From Prospect Capital's Quarterly Report [View article]
    richjoy403,

The 12% yields tells us that this investment carries some elevated risk. I like to keep these sort of stocks at a small percentage of my invested capital.
    Feb 15, 2015. 12:15 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • 5 Key Highlights From Prospect Capital's Quarterly Report [View article]
    pokalolo,

I tried a new style/format for this piece since the quarterly report came out during my vacation. Hard to right an interesting article when the company posted such an inline quarter.
    Feb 15, 2015. 12:01 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • CYS Investments: A 14% Yield At A Near 20% Discount To Book Value [View article]
    Mike,

I have owned CYS for over 2 years now. With some averaging down, I am 10% in the red in terms of capital, though have received way more than that in dividends. This is a $10 stock if it were not for the Fed meddling in the MBS market.
    Feb 12, 2015. 09:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • EV Energy Partners: A Prudent Distribution Cut [View article]
    RLP,

I am not sure. I have only followed EVEP at a distance. They may have needed to build out the midstream assets as a function of their upstream production.

Looking at EROC, the midstream/upstream combo seems to not be a good fit.
    Feb 12, 2015. 09:00 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • EV Energy Partners: A Prudent Distribution Cut [View article]
    If they are talking then I think it is safe to assume that they could breech the covenant. I say could, not will. EVEP already cut the distribution and will be using some asset sales proceeds to lower debt. We'll know more during the Q4 report.
    Feb 12, 2015. 08:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria Group: Firing On All Cylinders [View article]
    scott Thomas,

MO is pricey and above its historical multiple. I believe this has to do in part due to the increase in value of its SABmiller stake.
    Feb 12, 2015. 08:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Altria Group: Firing On All Cylinders [View article]
    thomasjmartin,

So true. MO is outperforming on many fronts. Despite lower cigarette volumes, its earnings power has improved due to cost cutting and price increases. Marlboro has also not really loss market share.
    Feb 12, 2015. 08:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Alon USA Partners: A Robust Distribution Despite Volatile Oil Prices [View article]
    I agree. ALJ is a good way to play the refiner sector. Keep in mind they own a large chunk of ALDW.
    Feb 11, 2015. 02:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Northern Tier Energy: The Reduced Distribution Is Not As Bad As It Seems [View article]
    Brucejfern,

I have always stressed that NTI's distribution can fluctuate wildly. They not at all stable.
    Feb 10, 2015. 01:10 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Peter Peeters,

Visibility is cloudy even two weeks forward. NTI's distribution could be anywhere, from zero to $1.00+ depending out crack spreads, throughput, crude oil differentials, etc. Since I have owned it, the stock has yielded around ~15% per year, though this does not guarantee it will do so in the future.
    Feb 10, 2015. 01:07 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I believe Western refining owns part of NTI, not the other way around. As for the retail side, we'll need to see the quarterly report. These franchises are expanding nicely, though still only represent less than 5% of net income.
    Feb 10, 2015. 01:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Pengrowth Energy: Weathering The Storm [View article]
    The better play would have been to buy both :)
    Feb 9, 2015. 06:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • CenturyLink: A Poor Choice Compared To AT&T And Verizon [View article]
    The return fluctuates wildly depending on the date. Plug in 1998 versus 1999 to see.

Another note, CTL back then was much smaller. T and VZ were both large-caps. I also doubt any calculator adjusts for the stock dividends such as with VZ and FTR.
    Feb 9, 2015. 04:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment