Alex B. Gray

View Alex B. Gray's Comments BY TICKER:
  • 4 Small Caps That Have Taken Investors on a Wild Ride [View article]
    drgoodwrench,

Thank you for your insight on other engine makers. You are right, even with minimal revenues currently, Omnitek seems to keep expenses in check.
    Jun 21, 2011. 02:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • RIM Proves Why You Can't Just Pay Attention to Fundamentals [View article]
    While I agree with the general thesis of your article from a traders standpoint, I do not think you would see to many fundamental value investors jumping into RIMM. Not just yet anyway...
    Jun 17, 2011. 11:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Learning the Lesson From China MediaExpress and 2 Stocks Worth a Look [View article]
    Miller is an interesting story. I owned shares back in the day when they only had their properties primarily in Tennessee. I made reasonable money and got out before a couple of bad deals sent the stock down to trading at only a couple of pennies per share.

This Cook Inlet deal which sent the stock soaring is the deal of a lifetime for Deloy Miller and has already treated him well. It looks like his daughter married well as I think his son-in-law played a major role in financing the deal.

I wish I would have been along for the ride as my original basis in the stock before I sold was only $0.38. Who knew... However, the current risk/reward is interesting for those who can handle it. The margin for error in Alaska is minimal, but if it works out the upside is appealing.
    Jun 17, 2011. 11:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • For Whom the Road Tolls: Reviewing Listed Toll Roads, Bridges and Tunnels [View article]
    Excellent article with very detailed research. Bravo Mr. Scholl.

As a side, the state where I live here in the U.S. leased one of its major toll roads to a consortium of Australia's Macquarie Infrastructure and Cintra Concesiones de Infraestructuras de Transporte of Spain in 2006 for nearly $4 billion. I would look for more deals to possibly happen in the future with so many states running strained budgets.
    May 3, 2011. 04:54 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Otter Tail Corporation: An Option for Income Investors Seeking Price Appreciation Potential [View article]
    Gratian,

I think (OTTR) will trade in a tight range, but I do believe if management delivers near the high end of its numbers, shares could easily push towards $25. Of course the earnings miss for last year does hurt the confidence as they had given similar guidance at the beginning of 2010. I think the Wind Energy segment really hurt them last year and could be a thorn again this year. Although, I do not think it will be as severe.

They have not increased the dividend for about three years now. I think that was probably a smart move given their struggles and the economic climate. I like to see increases as much as any investor, but not at the expense of operations.

Any investor watching this stock will probably want to consider staying on the sidelines until it is more evident that management can deliver. In the end, it will all come down to execution.

Thanks for making some very good points and adding to the conversation. I think you have given the readers a few more things to think about.
    Apr 22, 2011. 01:46 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting MDU Resources: Consider the Prospect of a Spin-Off [View article]
    bozezone,

I apologize if I was not clear in my article, but I was referring to stock price underperformance and not operating performance. I agree with you that MDU did a great job containing and cutting expenses. This makes it even more surprising that MDUs stock was outperformed by some of its construction industry counterparts. This is why I proposed the idea of a spin-off.

Thanks for your comment as it will now be clearer to future readers.
    Apr 7, 2011. 02:08 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Hawaiian Electric Industries: Regional Banking and a Utility in Paradise [View article]
    Clemens,

Thanks for the heads up on Okinawa Electric. This is a new name for me. I will certainly take a closer look.
    Mar 27, 2011. 10:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sifting Through the Holdings of New IQ Global Agribusiness Small Cap ETF [View article]
    Clemens,

Your welcome on the mention of your article. I found your article a well thought out take on Chaoda. It was also timely as you published it just as I was researching this new ETF. It certainly generated some very strong opinions. I would have never thought the comments would have been so active. I tend to lean in your direction in the fact the company has a long operating history.

I am not an ETF investor, but their holdings can be a great hunting ground for names. I, like you, had heard of many of the names, but found new names to research. Good observation on Toro (TTC) as well.
    Mar 27, 2011. 10:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 4 Thermal Coal Producers That May Benefit From Reduced Uranium Demand [View article]
    Goldmember1,

While I would agree that the company is mainly producing metallurgical (coking coal) they do have thermal coal reserves. According to the company's statements current products from the Ovoot Tolgoi Mine include coals with coking (or metallurgical) applications primarily a raw semi-soft coking coal and raw higher-ash coals with applications as either thermal coal or can be washed into semi-soft coking coal.

I appreciate your input and clarification for the readers.
    Mar 19, 2011. 02:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 10 REITs Trading Near Their 52-Week Low [View article]
    Note: After the article was published, Mission West Properties (MSW) released the following:

Mission West Properties, Inc. (MSW) announced today that its Board of Directors has declared a regular quarterly cash dividend of $0.13 per common share payable on April 7, 2011 to all common stockholders of record on March 31, 2011. The dividend is a 13.3% reduction from the dividend paid in the prior quarter. The dividend is equivalent to an annual rate of $0.52 per share, which represents an 8.0% annualized yield based on the latest closing price of $6.52 per share.
    Mar 17, 2011. 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AMREP Corporation: Down, But Not Out [View article]
    Currently the remaining property, not including real estate used in the media services operations, is carried on the books at approximately $5300 per acre. The revenue per acre for the last three fiscal years on only the undeveloped property (developed property generates even higher revenue) is as follows:

2011 (9 months) - $38,000
    2010 - 50,000
    2009 - 42,400
    2008 - 28,800

Given that sales of undeveloped land for the last several years has been substantially higher than the carrying value on the books, I believe the carrying value understates the true value of the land. Since I do not know the stage of development of the land, I used undeveloped as my benchmark. Of course, in order for the true value to be realized, they must sell the land which has been a struggle so far in 2011. Also, in light of the continued housing slump future sales may not generate similar revenue and the company could have only the worst parcels remaining in their inventory which may also hurt future returns. Even with these concerns in mind, I believe the value to be understated.
    Mar 15, 2011. 10:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Looking Through Pink Sheets for Value Investments [View article]
    Cheese Head,

I assume you purchased the ADR's. If so, these are issued by an American depository bank and usually represent a certain number of foreign shares. In the case of SGAPY.PK I believe it is 10 foreign shares for each ADR. While they do trade in American dollars, you do have the the currency risk of the country in which the company is located. Since SGAPY.PK also pays a dividend, that dividend will also have currency risk. Of course this currency risk can certainly work to your advantage depending on the currency and the current situation of the dollar. The depository bank takes care of all of the currency conversions.

I believe it is possible to short certain pink sheet stocks. However, it can be very risky the same way using market orders can be due to the spreads. Also, I do not think all brokers will allow you to short pink sheet stock. You may have to go through a full service broker to be able to do this.

I hope this helps.
    Mar 3, 2011. 12:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Archon Corporation: Betting on Its Real Estate [View article]
    Tim,

Thanks for adding good information to the conversation and noting the share repurchases.

I agree the company should be able to recoup at least part of their losses if they do not prevail in the lawsuit brought by the preferred shareholders. Let's hope the law firm had their E&O policy up to date.

There is no doubt that the property on the Strip is one of the primary catalyst to create real value. I also think they may have some decisions to make with regard to the Casino operations if the business continues to deteriorate.
    Mar 2, 2011. 04:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Way to Play the Unrest in the Middle East [View article]
    IanA,

Thanks for your comment and pointing out the typo. I really do appreciate it and I have already submitted the correction to the SA staff.
    Feb 25, 2011. 08:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3 Stocks I Will Buy Back on a Pullback [View article]
    bazooooka,

I do anticipate it will once again dip into the 300's which it nearly did today. As I mentioned in my article, I do like LUK and will be a buyer on dips. I do not have problem with BRK-A other than I believe its size may hold it back from obtaining the returns of the past. However it should provide reasonable returns with good safety.

BH is no longer the same company it was in 1998. BH has new management and and a new direction. Also, Sardar Biglari, the CEO, is not exactly new to the game as he has been running The Lion Fund I believe since 2000. While BH is a relatively new venture for Sardar Biglari, I think most of the early investors with BRK-A and LUK have been pleased. Also, both BRK-A and LUK both have top management that will most likely be stepping aside and letting some new blood take over in the near future. These new management teams will have to earn the respect of investors just as Sardar Biglari must.
    Feb 23, 2011. 04:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment