Alex Cho

View Alex Cho's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel Is Finally At Qualcomm's Doorstep [View article]
    Yeah, I have to agree! Very good point :)
    Aug 19 10:25 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Is Finally At Qualcomm's Doorstep [View article]
    Yeah that's a pretty big problem.
    Aug 19 10:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell AMD: Traditional Markets Will Do Damage [View article]
    Oh no, I've been planning to write this article for quite a while. I went from skeptic, to legit skeptic. So yeah, you can say whatever you want bud. I'll still chive on. I still think AMD is a bag of paper that will continue to grow worthless by the day,and eventually, when everyone realizes that AMD's marginalized position will never result in actual capital returns, or a sustainable strategy of long-term growth, I'm sure the buy-side will continue to take an axe to that part of the book that never really performs.

But let me tell you something, it's not that everyone else doesn't care, it's the fact that you don't care. And that's fine, but you don't have a right to voice an opinion on behalf of people that you don't really know. Have a good day.
    Aug 19 10:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell AMD: Traditional Markets Will Do Damage [View article]
    Very interesting points Justin. However Broadwell is the family or generational name for processors coming in at the 14nm node. The designs vary depending on mobile, laptop, and server class. However, from my understanding, a combination of higher clock speeds, paired with higher instruction per cycle, paired with higher density characteristics driven by vertical transistors will transition to a significant competitive advantage as it equally applies across the whole spectrum of Intel's semiconductor solutions.

However, beyond that, I will definitely take a look at JPR's updated statistics, I wasn't aware that they were published today I wrote the article yesterday, so I'm pretty sure I couldn't have gotten my hands on updated market data.

I never said AMD will not be found in HP's. I was trying to mention that HP has more product SKUs with Intel over AMD. Again, at the high-end, almost every laptop in the $800+ ASP range is dominated by Intel. So I can see where you're saying that there's some uptick in demand in certain sub-segments of the market, but the CEO of AMD already mentioned that graphics ASPs declined driven by AIB deceleration, and APU demand will help to pad market share figures, but it's still not a discrete board, because it comes as a part of a CPU, which is more of a blended figure between CPU and GPU uptake. Also, if you look at the HP website, all the best selling laptops use Intel products. So even though HP is marketing an AMD solution, sales are still going in Intel's direction.

However, I think that the vast majority of design wins will favor Intel going forward, and while AMD can grab certain pockets like the ultra-low-end laptop market, paired with low-end tablet APUs, I'm just not convinced that AMD will create compelling SoCs. You're right that AMD's relationship with Global Foundries is important, and same with Samsung. So I'll try to mention the other foundries in future articles, however culling all that data takes a lot of time.

I think I'll take this feedback as an opportunity to write about TSM's foundry position in relation to Samsung and Global Foundry to get even more familiar with the semiconductor space.

Thanks for the feedback Justin.
    Aug 19 08:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell AMD: Traditional Markets Will Do Damage [View article]
    Yeah seriously, since when did AMD have the best CPU on the market place? *cough* 2006, AMD 64 series beat Intel for a brief period of time just once.
    Aug 19 08:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • iPad Refresh Will Boost Shipment Figures [View article]
    Yeah, those are pretty solid points, but I think that the uptake in refresh will happen eventually as we saw three fiscal years where iPad shipments more or less flat-lined. Some of these consumers will want to update, we just don't know when.
    Aug 19 07:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Is Finally At Qualcomm's Doorstep [View article]
    :/ I sure hope not. Almost every other semiconductor player outside of Intel is depending on TSM to reach 16nm and 10nm nodes.
    Aug 19 06:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Is Finally At Qualcomm's Doorstep [View article]
    That's not what Intel said in its presentation. The broadwell family is inclusive of smartphone. It doesn't exclude smartphone.
    Aug 19 06:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay May Have 10.2% Upside Until Year-End [View article]
    I'm fairly confident PayPal can sustain its momentum. But you're right, nothing is guaranteed in the world of tech.
    Aug 19 05:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay May Have 10.2% Upside Until Year-End [View article]
    Very good point, I'll take that.
    Aug 19 05:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell AMD: Traditional Markets Will Do Damage [View article]
    Excessive supply can generally be viewed as a negative, of course organic demand will trend higher, but I think AMD's position in the market will further deteriorate offsetting any benefits from organic growth.
    Aug 19 05:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell AMD: Traditional Markets Will Do Damage [View article]
    Hahaha, I might do more coverage on Chinese web properties. They're a little hard to keep up with. But I'll see if I can add to that part of the website. I'm moving through semiconductors, and major consumer tech right now. I have a couple software companies that need to be updated, but I'm also flooded with news on a daily basis on names that I follow.
    Aug 19 05:43 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell AMD: Traditional Markets Will Do Damage [View article]
    I think the broadwell family at the desktop/laptop and server end will destroy AMD. Intel made a massive leap in manufacturing tech, and the power efficiency alone will give Intel a ton of orders for server class CPU.But then you throw in desktop and laptop, and well Intel already dominates that, but maybe it will make it in time for the holiday season so marketers can brag about 5th gen core i3, core i5, and core i7 CPUs.
    Aug 19 05:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sell AMD: Traditional Markets Will Do Damage [View article]
    Yeah, but how much of HP's revenue is derived from AMD based laptops, from what I recall, not a whole lot..... Don't get me wrong, I like the company, but I don't like the position they've got themselves in.
    Aug 19 05:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel Is Finally At Qualcomm's Doorstep [View article]
    Broxton will use the CPU/GPU design from Broadwell M, from what I understand. Broxton is the SoC that will integrate components that Intel simply doesn't have yet, like the next-gen modem after XMM 7260. Intel doesn't have enough time to alter its mobile CPU/graphics, as the second gen family at 14nm won't come out in 2015.
    Aug 19 05:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment