Alex Cho

View Alex Cho's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why Western Digital May Have 61.7% Upside From Current Levels [View article]
    Insiders don't always make great investors. I have seen many insiders at growing companies sell their stocks or exercise options prematurely.
    Jan 6 04:24 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Bezos airlifted from cruise after kidney stone attack [View news story]
    Well..... Jeff is pretty young. Honestly, we should be more worried about Berkshire Hathaway's succession plans over Amazon. Investors invest with a mindset of five years at max, unless they're cost averaging into a retirement plan. But I have NEVER seen anyone include Amazon into a retirement portfolio unless if something is mentally messed up inside of em. Anyhow, fun market current, I almost think the SA market current writers were half joking about that comment on succession.
    Jan 5 04:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Jason Napodano Positions For 2014: Biotech M&A Growth Trend To Continue [View article]
    Jason that was a phenomenal article thank you.
    Dec 31 02:52 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • China Mobile, Telecom, And Unicom Well Positioned Despite Impending Competition [View article]
    Thanks bud, coming from you it means a lot. :)
    Dec 31 01:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry - Still A Short After Earnings? [View article]
    You bet bud :)
    Dec 31 12:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sprint/T-Mobile Merger: 6 Things You May Want To Know [View article]
    How did you quantify that below 50% possibility? Hmm, I'd like to know. I wasn't born yesterday you know.
    Dec 30 06:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Japan Economic Outlook: Many Unique Opportunities In The Coming Years [View article]
    Well from a macro standpoint buying the Nikkei 225 index fund makes a lot of sense. However rising wages could be a slightly negative catalyst for stocks over the short-term, on the other hand, a 60 trillion yen asset purchase program will keep assets from deflating in value. However a closer examination of wages would have to be done to determine if the general wage market is already above the proposed wage floor or not. But if the labor market is generally below the proposed wage floor it could be a negative earnings catalyst to companies who are heavily dependent upon low cost labor.
    Dec 30 04:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Wells Fargo: 6.6% Yield And 25%+ Upside [View article]
    Josh that was a great article, thanks.
    Dec 30 04:01 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sprint/T-Mobile Merger: 6 Things You May Want To Know [View article]
    I went over that in a previous article. http://seekingalpha.co...
    Dec 30 02:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sprint Possibly Buying Out T-Mobile? [View article]
    No problem, I'll make it a priority first thing tomorrow. Thank you.
    Dec 27 11:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Shareholders Cheer Up, It Will Get Worse [View article]
    Yeah, pretty good point. But that doesn't explain why cost of sales were abnormally high this past quarter. Especially when considering BlackBerry's ASP is $400 and it's production cost is $180 or so. If costs and revenue were recognized at the same exact time that would imply that gross margin should have been significantly higher this past quarter. So my best guess is an income and expense recognition issue.

You make a pretty good point though. But if I recall correctly those type of accounting rules apply to manufacturing firms. I can't do any more research on the topic until I write my next article on BlackBerry. But I'll take a more in-depth look at the accounting to figure out why cost of revenues could be so high. Maybe, it was just a drop in pricing at the point-of-sale that drove revenues to be so low when compared to costs.

(quick update) Yeah, I'm looking at Q3 numbers. Somehow cost of sales was $2.4 billion whereas revenue was $1.193 billion. I don't think BlackBerry sold handsets at $80 per unit this past quarter. So I'm thinking it has to be a revenue recognition problem that results in current revenues being reflected in later quarters and expenses being reflected in the current quarter. Any objections?
    Dec 27 09:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Management's Execution Will Determine Google Glass Success [View article]
    Thanks for the support Putnam.
    Dec 27 09:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Management's Execution Will Determine Google Glass Success [View article]
    hahaha
    Dec 27 09:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple urges shareholders vote against Icahn buyback proposal [View news story]
    I'm having my doubts that Carl will actually win this fight with Tim Cook (-.-)
    Dec 27 09:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Sprint Possibly Buying Out T-Mobile? [View article]
    Hey Deja Vu, great list of questions. I'll write an article in a Q&A fashion to address all of them. Thank you for the comment.
    Dec 27 09:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment