Alex Cho

View Alex Cho's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple Watch Has Implications For Big Data, IoT And Web 3.0 [View article]
    Yeah Lawrence, I might just buy 10, turn around and dump them on eBay for a 50% mark-up. Hahaha, humor aside, I'll be waking up early to get in line for my Apple Watch too.
    Mar 24, 2015. 02:10 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch Has Implications For Big Data, IoT And Web 3.0 [View article]
    Thank you for the support! I kind of wish Ashraf was around, but I guess it's my turn to try and lead the tech component of SA. He did such a great job while he was here though, and I'd want nothing more than to see some of our former tech contributors to come back to SA.
    Mar 24, 2015. 01:27 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch Has Implications For Big Data, IoT And Web 3.0 [View article]
    For the sake of simplicity and to be consistent with branding I call it the smart watch... or Apple Watch.
    Mar 24, 2015. 01:26 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Is Safe And Stable: Ignore Volatility, Buy The Dip [View article]
    Yes, very good point Glenway.
    Mar 24, 2015. 01:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch Has Implications For Big Data, IoT And Web 3.0 [View article]
    Yeah, one thing you can never underestimate with regards to Apple is their industrial design. They've got the best talent in the world when it comes to designing products, and they also have some of the most intelligent engineers in the world. Combine the two, and it's easy to anticipate Apple's ongoing dominance in the tech community, but perhaps the Watch community too.
    Mar 24, 2015. 01:07 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch Has Implications For Big Data, IoT And Web 3.0 [View article]
    Yeah no kidding, people underestimate the value of human interaction.
    Mar 24, 2015. 01:04 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple Watch Has Implications For Big Data, IoT And Web 3.0 [View article]
    I'll be raising my price target if anything.
    Mar 24, 2015. 01:03 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Logical Reason Why Apple Will Use An Intel Modem [View article]
    That will be my next article!
    Mar 24, 2015. 02:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Logical Reason Why Apple Will Use An Intel Modem [View article]
    Yeah what iliadav was saying.
    Mar 24, 2015. 02:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Logical Reason Why Apple Will Use An Intel Modem [View article]
    @ Steve Rasher Yes, from what I understand that amount is approximately 3.25% against Chines devices. So at a $200 BOM, Qualcomm gets $6.25. The remainder will go to Intel in the form of an actual Intel modem going inside of an Apple iPhone in China. My assumption is that Intel could shave off $10 off Qualcomm's pricing, and hope to earn $15-$20 per unit. This could counteract Qualcomm's modem design, giving Intel the lion share of revenue from Apple, so I even know the numbers off the top of my head, so I disagree with you Steve. Intel will earn approximately 4x the amount Qualcomm could per device, if the XMM 7360 does indeed go inside future iPhone models. Apple will probably cut out a third of the modem cost (maybe more), and could potentially improve gross margins by 50 to 100 basis points. So the whole argument on QTL was redundant. Now I don't have numbers for United States QTL revenue as a percentage of BoM, but I do know the numbers on Chinese devices. Hope someone could offer clarity on this, because I'm not finding any financial disclosures up and down the supply chain.
    Mar 23, 2015. 06:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Logical Reason Why Apple Will Use An Intel Modem [View article]
    Well yeah, Ashraf has a point there. I think Apple's volume is enough to reduce losses significantly. Intel will have to look for some wins in low-end devices, and hope for some expansion in tablets over the next couple years to see their mobile investments pay off.
    Mar 23, 2015. 06:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft Is Safe And Stable: Ignore Volatility, Buy The Dip [View article]
    Pretty interesting points Dmj.
    Mar 23, 2015. 04:56 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Ignore Hardware, It's Time To Focus On Software [View article]
    He's turned around businesses before. I'm sure he'll figure out a way to stabilize hardware while ramping software. He's still a software guy.
    Mar 23, 2015. 04:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Ignore Hardware, It's Time To Focus On Software [View article]
    Because MDM is a growth market, and BlackBerry has the right arsenal of tools and resources to remain competitive there.
    Mar 23, 2015. 04:53 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry: Ignore Hardware, It's Time To Focus On Software [View article]
    ^ Yeah Andreas is making a fairly solid point. The only differentiating factors to BlackBerry's future is BES 12, and Passport. If those two things don't pan out, the stock will tank.
    Mar 23, 2015. 04:52 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment