Alex Cho

View Alex Cho's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Google Sets Sail For The Auto Market [View article]
    Sure car companies may have some driverless technology. But I doubt it would be better than Google's. We're talking about the company that has no trouble with attracting PhDs, and hires the worlds most intelligent software engineers.
    Dec 27, 2014. 04:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Sets Sail For The Auto Market [View article]
    Thanks, for the compliment!
    Dec 24, 2014. 02:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Google Sets Sail For The Auto Market [View article]
    Have a Merry Christmas too!
    Dec 24, 2014. 02:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Write On Seeking Alpha? [View article]
    @mpmassey, you're not my target audience. And unlike any other industry, technology moves pretty quickly. It's not a business-like usual type of thing, where you can write a report, and sit back for 8 months without adding to it. But please, you seem to know more about tech and finance than me. Take a shot at it, be a writer/analyst. The role of being a contributor isn't that "fun." When it gets clogged up by readers who troll contributors, or worse, complain about a free-service. You're not even paying me a $10,000/year subscription. In fact, I've seen what money buys you from various research firms, and quite frankly, it's kind of sad that we have to listen to this, from people who have never had to sit down and read for hours, put together a thought, and write an article. I don't participate on this website, to be treated like trash, so if you excuse me.
    Dec 23, 2014. 09:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft's Xbox Segment Is Starting To Gain Significant Momentum [View article]
    By the way thanks for mentioning those sources.
    Dec 23, 2014. 09:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Yeah but they need more console sales, so they have a strong enough of an audience for the impending launch of Halo 5.
    Dec 23, 2014. 05:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    It's material, because it can add a good 2% to revenue growth if the segment has a pretty solid year in terms of game sales, and installed base adds for Xbox Live.
    Dec 23, 2014. 05:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Facebook's Core App Showing Signs Of Fatigue [View article]
    Whoa, I never said Facebook will die. I'm saying the growth of Facebook from a monetary standpoint will be driven by other mobile platforms. There will be many multi-platform users, I should have clarified that point more.
    Dec 23, 2014. 12:49 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon's Holiday Season Offsets Headwinds From Competition [View article]
    Gross margins have trended higher along with revenue. The retail side of the business is definitely in the black, but the streaming and the cloud business probably aren't. They have the content to attract subscribers, but I don't really think Amazon's branding helps in this case, and with Cloud, well, Amazon is doing extremely in terms of revenue, but the business is very bad for cash flow, even though it's a high net profit margin business. So you have three different businesses combatting the financial statement in really ridiculous ways. Sure there are opportunities in each business, but on balance it will be a while before net profit margins improve, which will require a combination of significant Prime Video subscriber growth, and stabilization in pricing economics in its cloud segment. I wish I could offer more insight, but I'm kind of doing in-depth research on semiconductors right now. When it comes to technology I'm kind of stretched, I want to offer depth, and breadth, but it takes considerable amounts of time to get it done. I'll be back to offer an explanation on the various reporting segments with a full-blown article or something.
    Dec 22, 2014. 08:08 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon's Holiday Season Offsets Headwinds From Competition [View article]
    Yeah, let's just not take Gary's comment seriously. That's what I vote.
    Dec 22, 2014. 08:05 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon's Holiday Season Offsets Headwinds From Competition [View article]
    Well with Amazon, it's not that easy to determine where money moves, because the company runs two cash bleeding businesses. One being the SVOD, which spent north of $4 billion on content. I make this estimate, because of how expensive licensing costs are. Admittedly, Amazon groups content licensing with its R&D spend. But realistically, Amazon's R&D shouldn't be that high, so a huge component of it is the amount spent on content. In the next FY, Netflix is set to spend $3.5B+ on content, so chances are Amazon's content library carries similar costs. The other is CAPEX intensive, AWS, which is where we're seeing the cash outflows for capital leases, and the OPEX is elevated because of Prime Video. The retail business is most likely operating at a profit, otherwise, it wouldn't be able to fund these money losing businesses. When it comes to Amazon's accounting, it treats merchandise bought as its COGS, so what's most indicative of how well the core business is performing, is to see the trend in gross margins, not the operating margin, because costs pertaining to non-core businesses go into operating costs. As it currently stands, the gross margin is trending higher, in FY 2014 on a TTM basis it has moved up by 200 basis points on a percentile basis. Needless to say, the FCF decline is probably temporary, and will be offset with enterprise customers, and higher e-commerce volume in future quarters. If not, Amazon will have to close some non-performing businesses and focus on its core competencies.
    Dec 22, 2014. 05:19 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon's Holiday Season Offsets Headwinds From Competition [View article]
    So..... why should anyone take your comments seriously?
    Dec 22, 2014. 05:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Chris DeMuth, Jr. Positions For 2015: Banking M&A, Milestone Payments, Litigation Results [View article]
    Hey, that was really phenomenal. Thanks, for contributing bud. I empathize with you about the whole, sharing it with the community rather than the poor soul, who's unlucky enough to make my acquaintance.
    Dec 22, 2014. 04:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon's Holiday Season Offsets Headwinds From Competition [View article]
    A higher retail mark-up with the same exact COGS and OPEX will increase margins.
    Dec 22, 2014. 02:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Qualcomm's Growth Prospects Look Promising Despite Negative Headwinds [View article]
    Yes.... I see that.