Alex Cho

View Alex Cho's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Apple iPhone 6: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly [View article]
    Yeah thanks real_techie, I read a book on India's economy a while back, so I made a flawed assumption on the comparative court systems regarding IP. However, China is a much more difficult market to enter into when compared to India, but offers better upside based on average household income trends. The link you provided was pretty helpful, so I went ahead and submitted edits. Thanks, for participating in the discussion, I look forward to hearing your comments in the near future.
    Sep 23, 2014. 05:16 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple iPhone 6: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly [View article]
    Not really, Apple can sell refurbished versions of older iPhone models to address that market. Instead it's being overrun by wannabe Apple vendors, and rip offs.
    Sep 23, 2014. 05:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple iPhone 6: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly [View article]
    The reason I say that is because a consumer who wanted the 6 Plus but couldn't get one, ended up with the 6. That's $100 per unit in revenue that was lost as a result of inadequate supply, which will be reflected in financial results, albeit very modestly. The supply chain will adjust, and production for the bigger device will ramp as elasticities become more obvious. Granted, it would have been nice if Apple had prepared a larger number of 6 Plus at launch.
    Sep 23, 2014. 05:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple iPhone 6: The Good, The Bad, The Ugly [View article]
    Yeah, Apple will definitely provide guidance, probably guidance it can hop over. I'll be updating you all when earnings figures come out.
    Sep 23, 2014. 04:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BlackBerry Passport May Become A Hit, Reaching Profitability Has Become Easier [View article]
    According to John Chen, "Most of all, the other designs, I’m going to rely on Foxconn to do, including the one that we will take to the [inaudible] countries and the developed Western world. Those designs, we already have an agreement with Foxconn. Those devices will be jointly developed, but I’m hoping that they do more hardware and I do more software. And we’re going to manufacture and build that from their Mexico plant."

In this thread, there's an invoice to BlackBerry from a Mexico plant. The Passport has a product model referred to as SQW 100. The Mexico plant is run by Foxconn.

I said Foxconn was manufacturing not designing the Passport. The flexibility in supply chain will help BlackBerry to break even. End of discussion.
    Sep 23, 2014. 02:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Let me do some research to confirm that fact. From what I understand BlackBerry intended to outsource a huge chunk of its manufacturing to higher volume producers that can lower cost because they scale production and have flexibility in manufacturing.
    Sep 23, 2014. 01:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Since when did a flagship product not matter?
    Sep 23, 2014. 01:26 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Isn't Yahoo Worth Significantly More? [View article]
    Yeah Pete I agree
    Sep 23, 2014. 01:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Isn't Yahoo Worth Significantly More? [View article]
    Yeah Yahoo is certainly undervalued. I really like the stock, but it's not catching fire the way I thought it would. However, the upside is definitely there.
    Sep 23, 2014. 01:25 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Isn't Yahoo Worth Significantly More? [View article]
    Thank you, I work really hard to improve the readability of my articles, even as I convey meaningful information. I guess there's a bit of an art to it. :)
    Sep 23, 2014. 01:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SA Contributor Community: End Of Summer Update [View article]
    Fine if not Buffett, they should chase after George Soros. Now Soros loves talking his book, and even writes whole books about his strategies and stuff. Part of the equation of getting someone on board, is to ensure they actually like to write. In the case of Buffett, after seeing so many books in which he just sits down for interviews, and delegates the process of writing to other people I seriously doubt he'll write whole articles for SA. in fact, does Buffett even own a computer? Well, that's besides the point. If Buffett were to contribute that would be like a watershed moment. For now, I'm going to put my expectations of Buffet becoming an SA contributor below earths surface.
    Sep 22, 2014. 11:13 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Alibaba Is Extremely Undervalued And Has Great Growth Potential [View article]
    Some eBay power sellers buy stuff at wholesale on Alibaba and sell stuff at retail on eBay.com. Welcome to the world of retail.
    Sep 22, 2014. 09:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • SA Contributor Community: End Of Summer Update [View article]
    General Electric is onboard? Hearing it from the company directly is an interesting perspective.
    Sep 22, 2014. 06:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • eBay And Samsung Versus Apple Payments: Here Comes The Big Show Down [View article]
    From the article. "However, the added volume from mobile payments is supplemental in nature, and since the take rate per mobile transaction will be small, the corresponding take rate across eBay's platforms will decline at a moderate pace. However, the added impact from added mobile commerce volume will contribute to top line results, and will also positively impact net profit, even if it diminishes profitability marginally."

The 7% take rate comes as a result of eBay market place transactions having overlap with PayPal. PayPal's mobile payments will have lower take rate per transaction thus impacting the mix, but since the added volume is incremental in nature it shouldn't negatively impact top and bottom line results.
    Sep 21, 2014. 06:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Actually, when it comes to tech companies, there are very many variations of non-GAAP earnings metrics, so no EBITDA is not a comprehensive metric either.
    Sep 19, 2014. 06:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment