Alex Cho

View Alex Cho's Comments BY TICKER:
  • How Twitter Became, By Definition, A Fan Favorite Stock [View article]
    Pump article, get clicks? Seriously? Write the opposite article and get it published, I don't have time to waste on people like you.
    Nov 20, 2014. 02:34 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • How Twitter Became, By Definition, A Fan Favorite Stock [View article]
    Wow, look, Budweiser makes tons of money on beer. And what's important to budweiser is retaining its customer base into future generations. The company pays a small amount in comparison to other ad mediums to get its message to people. Advertising is not going away, and it's as old as the hills. Different media companies operate at completely different scale, and afford mass exposure to brands that can craft a message that can reach people when they're young enough. Sure, maybe it doesn't lead to 1:1 conversion. Maybe it is hard to track everything. But would you leave your product out for sale, and not advertise? Is that what people teach in business school these days? That advertising doesn't work, that's it not worth investing into. Telling people to buy something is foolish? Is that what you concluded? Or would you rather tell people what they need to know about your product? Companies would rather have control over their own identity, even if it's an illusion of control. Or maybe it isn't, some of the best brands in the world, invested hundreds of millions per year, to make sure that no one would compete over time. Coca-Cola is just some elaborate sugar water. But guess what, it makes plenty of money, on the branding alone.

I'm sure one day an executive team at a company will say, "let's make a great beer and hopes it sells." Yeah, how about "let's make great coffee and hope it sells!" That too will never happen. "Let's make great cars, and let's just hope it sells." That isn't how it works in the real world. In fact, ever seen a marketing department decide, "let's leave it in the hands of the consumer to decide, let's not take control over how we portray ourselves!" Yep that's how commerce is structured in the 21st century. Let's not invest resources into the mediums where people exist. Let's just not advertise anymore. Yeah GOOD LUCK. The day people stop advertising is the day capitalism no longer exists. So take the put option on Twitter, it means capitalism and fame no longer matter in society anymore. If that day comes society itself probably won't exist.

You may not have succeeded with a Super Bowl ad, but many other ad executives seem to do just fine day-in, day-out buying million dollar ad slots at major web platforms.
    Nov 20, 2014. 03:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Why I'm Not Sold On iPad Cannibalization [View article]
    I'm sure ibm and Apple partnership will help in terms of enterprise use and will be an added selling point when those devices start to ramp up. But I don't think that it will materially impact sales by much however I'll look more into this aspect because it seems everyone loves talking about the ibm and Apple one two punch. I'm typing this on my iPhone by the way so pardon me if my grammar is a little meh.
    Nov 19, 2014. 12:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Apple: Why I'm Not Sold On iPad Cannibalization [View article]
    Very interesting thoughts, I like the feedback here. However, a 40% drop in iPad shipments? Does that really sound realistic, KGI does have great research, but this time around, I just have to take an opposing stance. It's the total opposite of what I published several months ago.
    Nov 18, 2014. 07:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Netflix Off-Balance Sheet Obligations: Concerns Are Way Overblown [View article]
    No, randomness is not real. Because it states that the event transpired without causation. Statistics never defines the sequence of events, only the frequency of which given an event space. A poorly defined event space, or a poorly defined event can create a distortion in meaningful statistical analysis and un-meaningful analysis. Furthermore, the limitation of statistics is that it doesn't explain why one is successful or is not successful, it only points to those who are or who are not successful over a period. It's a study of what is happening, not why it's happening. Moving to the next point, human emotion is modeled as if it's random, but clear patterns for what causes such drastic fluctuations in value are becoming more and more apparent through more advanced near sciences.

I never operate under the assumption that things don't happen for a reason, therefore I can debunk the notion of something being unpredictable, because for something to occur there has to be a mechanism for why it occurs. And those who understand the mechanism for why things function are considered "discoverers, scientists, geniuses." So ya-da, ya-da. Okay, not going to pursue this argument further.
    Nov 18, 2014. 07:32 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Server Business Makes The Stock A Strong Buy [View article]
    Agree with Steve.
    Nov 18, 2014. 05:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Server Business Makes The Stock A Strong Buy [View article]
    Yes, very fair points.... hmm.
    Nov 18, 2014. 05:54 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Interesting that's one question worth dedicating an article to.
    Nov 18, 2014. 05:21 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Sustaining outperformance requires one to identify a method that consistently works over a long period of time. If you believe in randomness good luck. You might as well buy an ETF that follows an index and never actively manage money, because it's all just dumb luck anyway.
    Nov 18, 2014. 01:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Did I say $600 in 2014? No I did not. GoingLong you're pretty dogmatic about being a bear on Netflix, good luck. I hope you make money over the longhaul shorting the stock, because otherwise you'll lose a fortune according to my estimates, which are usually on the money.
    Nov 18, 2014. 01:20 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hmm... interesting, I'll stick with my method because I know it works, and generates twice the return per recommendation over the S&P 500. Those are returns since a recommendation, and not since inception, but ignoring that point. I'll get straight to the point. You're wrong, about these off balance sheet obligations materially impacting the financial statement in as adverse of a way as you has alluded to in your prior article. That's the stance I will take after extensively working through the accounting notes and comparing the impact to income statement and cash flow statement. You're welcome.
    Nov 18, 2014. 01:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Server Business Makes The Stock A Strong Buy [View article]
    Thank you for the extensive comment, honestly, I'm just not convinced that Intel will come up with an inferior product given the sheer lead they've had in both architecture and manufacturing technology for quite some time. Shockingly, even at X86, the instructions per cycle, and higher clocked components have driven adequate enough performance gains over prior generations. Furthermore, the move to FinFet and the like also adds to the argument that Intel's designs will likely lead, and they'll probably have a second generation Broadwell part for CPUs in the second half of 2016 assuming they're able to sustain product advancements at the rate that they have.
    Nov 17, 2014. 08:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Abenomics 2.0 - Just What Are They Trying To Achieve? [View article]
    Edward that was a phenomenal article on Japan. It was a really great read, and I look forward to reading more of your stuff in the future!
    Nov 17, 2014. 03:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel's Server Business Makes The Stock A Strong Buy [View article]
    The technical analysis indicates a cup and handle, with the stock likely to break out above the neckline on the daily chart. The formation is small, but somewhat meaningful from a technical standpoint.
    Nov 17, 2014. 03:23 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter Has A Compelling Ten-Year Growth Trajectory [View article]
    Well I have offered a much more elaborate explanation earlier in the comment thread. So please refer to it, before calling these kinds of expenses "ludicrous."
    Nov 16, 2014. 08:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment