Alex Cho

View Alex Cho's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Intel May Buy Altera: Does An Acquisition Even Make Sense? [View article]
    Wow, so you just did an appeal to credibility. So after buy-side analysts were begging Altera to take the deal, you're saying that Altera provide significant value. From what I saw, the opposing side was so adamant in wanting Intel to pay the added premium, I have to wonder, what does Intel get in return?
    May 6, 2015. 04:24 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon May Justify Its Market Premium With Future Profits [View article]
    Thanks for the comment Jack.
    May 5, 2015. 09:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon May Justify Its Market Premium With Future Profits [View article]
    Thanks Gary.
    May 5, 2015. 09:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon May Justify Its Market Premium With Future Profits [View article]
    Betting against Amazon has never worked. It doesn't matter what the average retail investors thinks. If institutional guys buy the story, and believe the company will start ramping profitability, then that's the way it is. Sure, it's not a not-for-profit entity, but it sure being run like one. Eventually, that will change, because even Bezos isn't dumb enough to operationally ruin this business.
    May 5, 2015. 09:18 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel May Buy Altera: Does An Acquisition Even Make Sense? [View article]
    Superior manufacturing creates friction in terms of costs. FPGAs do fine even at older nodes, and if Intel can utilize those older nodes, it will increase margins. The diagram Altera provides is based more around their ability to generate profitability on more efficient manufacturing processes. I.E. they anticipate design wins once 14nm is replaced by 10nm.
    May 5, 2015. 09:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel May Buy Altera: Does An Acquisition Even Make Sense? [View article]
    Armchair economics, look at the annual report closely. It says that it prototypes with cutting edge nodes, and sells in volume when those more advanced nodes become more mature and have higher yields. The customers are sensitive to pricing. So no, your implied situation of performance scaling with manufacturing technology doesn't happen immediately. It happens when utilization of older fabs drops-off, so to gain volume, fabs will run their facilities on FPGAs and at a lower price per wafer. Just because I admit to not knowing everything, doesn't leave me out as a dimwit on the topic. You just contradicted everything Altera mentioned about its business model in your last comment.
    May 5, 2015. 09:07 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel May Buy Altera: Does An Acquisition Even Make Sense? [View article]
    Okay TG, feel free to write a better article. Good luck.
    May 5, 2015. 09:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel May Buy Altera: Does An Acquisition Even Make Sense? [View article]
    Look, I'm not a hardware engineer. I understand the specifications and the product positioning in base stations, HPCs, and other narrow use cases. However, the point on Samsung and Xilinx came from a 2013 presentation from Altera. It's a 60 slide deck (believe it or not, I do my research), and inside the presentation, the company mentions all of its competitors. Samsung is ahead of Altera, and it's no surprise, given Samsung's large fab, and it's ability to design a broad range of ICs.
    May 5, 2015. 06:55 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel May Buy Altera: Does An Acquisition Even Make Sense? [View article]
    Yeah, the older generation stuff, true. But going forward, Intel is going to leverage its fabs at some point. I think there are cost efficiencies where Intel can utilize its 22nm fab, without having to move all capacity to the 14nm. The FPGAs could help bridge that need to keep fabs busy, and as indicated by that presentation, Altera does use Intel's more cutting edge fabs, which would be the 22nm and 14nm. Tech does age, and as we move to 10nm nodes, Altera will redistribute designs from 22nm, 14nm and 10nm. The cost efficiency is gained over time not immediately.
    May 5, 2015. 06:48 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Amazon May Justify Its Market Premium With Future Profits [View article]
    Interesting comment Jack, can you help explain to the rest of us why you're so confident in the management team (out of curiosity)?
    May 5, 2015. 05:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Could Become A Big Catalyst For Google [View article]
    Yeah, pro designation is pretty subjective around here. I haven't quite figured it out yet, and quite frankly, I barely get along with one of the editors in the tech section. So I'm not surprised that none of my content has gotten EP's or Pro picks. Not as much as I would like.
    May 4, 2015. 07:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • China Could Become A Big Catalyst For Google [View article]
    Yeah, I know, and I agree.
    May 4, 2015. 07:03 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Microsoft And Salesforce: A Potential Marriage Made In Heaven [View article]
    Whoa, it seems everyone is disagreeing with me today. Okay, yes I understand the stance everyone has, but it's not like Microsoft has that many other options to organically grow its business. It also needs to leverage some of the cash that's on its balance sheet.
    May 4, 2015. 05:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • The Silliness Of Tesla's 10kWh Back-Up Battery [View article]
    I wouldn't mind owning the power wall. In conjunction with solar power it could be pretty useful.
    May 3, 2015. 12:04 PM | 30 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 3D Systems: Pride Comes Before The Fall [View article]
    Yeah, like imagine if someone came up with the cure to cancer, and you still see doctors administering expensive/ineffective chemotherapy. It's that big of a difference from my perspective.
    May 3, 2015. 11:48 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment