Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Profit From The Biotech Craze: Long Gilead Sciences And Short Taro [View article]
    Doc,

Thanks for the kind words. I couldn't resistant a rebuttal article.
    Jun 24, 2015. 07:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Holsumdoc,

Exactly, hence the reason why Actavis and Valeant target branded products for acquisition. They both realize the protection is the patent.
    Jun 24, 2015. 07:02 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    infection,

I prefer to buy companies with a defensible moat and tend to shy away from commodity producers.
    Jun 24, 2015. 07:01 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Goalkick,

While I do not agree with Belzek piece, I thank him for getting the conversation started. My rebuttal became an article.
    Jun 24, 2015. 07:00 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Clinical,

You are welcome.
    Jun 24, 2015. 06:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    mfkmba,

You eloquently sum up why GILD is currently my third largest holding. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jun 24, 2015. 06:58 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Long Kraft As The Heinz Merger Radically Transforms The Company [View article]
    barefoot,

I agree with your CAG comments. KRFT is quite compelling here, significant growth remains post the acquisition. I suspect 3G will be able to unlock it along with the cost cutting.
    Jun 24, 2015. 11:45 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    vince,

Interestingly, CAG jumped on the news of Jana Partners large stake in the company. CAG has underperformed over the past few years due to the ill-times Ralston Purina acquisition. Why get into generic production that is absent a moat? If branded products are having a rough go what makes them think producing the house brand would be better.

I prefer KRFT and there large stable of well known branded products. I expect the cost cuts will unlock significant value. Let' see how it plays out.
    Jun 24, 2015. 09:53 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Examining My Bullish Thesis On Hershey [View article]
    Mike,

As you know, it is a high quality company. The low from last year was roughly $88 per share in the first week of August. I suspect Fridays sell-off will mark the bottom for this year. Let me know if you take a position at what price.
    Jun 23, 2015. 10:11 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    If the merger closes before July 31st, shareholders WILL NOT be entitled to this quarters dividend payment. Lets hope the deal closes in August!

The Board of Directors of Kraft Foods Group, Inc. (KRFT) today has declared a regular quarterly dividend of $0.55 per share of common stock, payable on July 31, 2015, to shareholders of record on July 27, 2015, provided that the company's proposed merger with H.J. Heinz Holding Corporation (Heinz) does not close on or before July 27, 2015. If the merger closes on or before July 27, 2015, in lieu of Kraft paying its dividend announced today, the combined company The Kraft Heinz Company intends to declare and pay as soon as practicable following the closing of the merger and subject to the approval of its board of directors, a regular quarterly dividend of $0.55 per share of common stock of The Kraft Heinz Company to all shareholders of record of The Kraft Heinz Company as of a record date shortly after the date that the merger is completed.

Pursuant to the terms of the merger agreement between Kraft and Heinz, the Board of Directors of Kraft today also declared a special cash dividend in the amount of $16.50 per share of common stock, conditioned upon the closing of the proposed merger, payable to Kraft shareholders of record immediately prior to the effective time of the merger. As the special cash dividend is only being paid if the merger with Heinz closes, Kraft shareholders will not receive the special cash dividend unless and until the merger closes.
    Jun 23, 2015. 09:20 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Examining My Bullish Thesis On Hershey [View article]
    Uncle Pie,

Welcome aboard, now sit back and enjoy the ride. The use of leverage for an easy to predict business such as HSY is justified. The cost of debt is far less than the incremental return generated on capital making the move a no-brainer for management. HSY does compete in the higher end with the Scharfen Berger brand as seen here. http://bit.ly/1GvWJu0

As for the erratic nature of commodities not just the cocoa crop. HSY demand for their product tends to be quite inelastic which allows the company to pass off higher costs to protect margins. Last year the fear was rapidly escalating dairy prices would crimp profitability. HSY responded by handing down a price hike for the all important Halloween season. With dairy prices collapsing in the US, the price hikes remain further enhancing HSY North American profits. Its the iconic power of the brand here that keeps HSY so profitable. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jun 22, 2015. 05:10 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Examining My Bullish Thesis On Hershey [View article]
    2Reb,

I am glad you enjoyed it.
    Jun 22, 2015. 05:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Examining My Bullish Thesis On Hershey [View article]
    jim,

I highly doubt the Trust would ever allow the company to be bought out. I included the reference to indicate the value of the franchise as seen by others. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jun 22, 2015. 05:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Examining My Bullish Thesis On Hershey [View article]
    steve,

I expect dividend growth in the high single/low double digit range. The growth should neatly mirror expected eps growth over the same time frame. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jun 22, 2015. 05:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Re-Examining My Bullish Thesis On Hershey [View article]
    Keith,

Thanks. I suspect you will be pleased with your HSY purchase as the years progress. A nice low vol. play with a decent income component. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jun 22, 2015. 12:15 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment