Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Gilead Sciences' Rumored Takeover Of Vertex Pharmaceuticals Has Merit [View article]
    Confirmation GILD has no intention of acquiring VRTX.

Ying Huang, Bank of America Merrill Lynch - Analyst [8]

So Paul, maybe I'll throw a soft ball question now there. You told me that you are going to stay in the therapeutic areas where you already have a presence today. Would you consider cystic fibrosis, a therapeutic area you already have established presence today, and would be interested in getting into orphan drug space?

Paul Carter, Gilead Sciences, Inc. - EVP, Commercial Operations [9]

Well, I'll quote our Chief Scientific Officer, Norbert Bischofberger, he said that we think a lot about a lot of companies but we don't think very often about the Vertex, if you want to be very specific.

Ying Huang, Bank of America Merrill Lynch - Analyst [10]

I didn't say that.
    May 17, 2015. 10:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Is Poised To Break Out [View article]
    Above excerpts taken from the recent BOFA conference.
    May 17, 2015. 10:01 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Is Poised To Break Out [View article]
    Lastly, within liver disease, I'd just like to say a few things about NASH. NASH or Non-Alcoholic Steatohepatitis is advancing in the US and is likely to become the leading cause for liver transplantations. It's projected to surpass even hepatitis C in the next decade with an estimated 12 million people in the US. Needless to say, this disease represents a significant unmet medical need.

NASH, however, is a complex disease and one that might require multiple approaches. Simtuzumab is the furthest along for Gilead with two Phase 2 studies that are fully enrolled. At the end of Q3 or early Q4, we'll hit the 48-week point whether the Data and Safety Monitoring Board or DSMB will look into this blinded study. If those data are determined to be robust enough, we could file for approval at that time.

In addition to simtuzumab, two other mechanisms of action are being explored. The first, GS-4997, an ASK-1 inhibitor, will be evaluated in a Phase 2 study by itself and in combination with simtuzumab. The second mechanism is GS-9674, an FXR agonist, which we hope to have in the clinic before the end of the year.
    May 17, 2015. 10:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Is Poised To Break Out [View article]
    Ying Huang, Bank of America Merrill Lynch - Analyst [8]

Paul Carter, Gilead Sciences, Inc. - EVP, Commercial Operations [9]

Ying Huang, Bank of America Merrill Lynch - Analyst [10]

I didn't say that.
    May 17, 2015. 09:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Examining Gilead Sciences' Future Pipeline [View article]

Transcript from May 2015 BOFA conference. I am anxious to see the data on simtuzumab for a treatment of NASH>
    May 17, 2015. 09:56 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Is Poised To Break Out [View article]
    Excerpt taken from recent BOFA Healthcare conference.

May 17, 2015. 09:55 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dollar General Morphs Into The Next Great Dividend Growth Play [View article]
    rdtuck,

KO returned 9.89% factoring in dividends whereas DG returned roughly 36%. I did not hold DG the whole time, my return from holding DG>CBS>GOOGL is 17% in this time frame. The move worked out well for me, in hindsight I would have been better served holding the shares yet feared they would wind up overpaying for FDO. I LOVE DLTR, they are my absolute favorite as they will be the last man standing in any sort of retail war. that being said, almost all of the good tidings is factored into the share price. If DLTR ever pulls back or experiences integration problems you will see me championing them.
    May 16, 2015. 09:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Dollar General Morphs Into The Next Great Dividend Growth Play [View article]
    Timmies,

I look for consistent, sustainable growth. The initiation of a dividend is a signal of managements confidence in the future. Check out this article, http://bit.ly/1PpLvSm . Notice the commentators thought I was crazy to dump a veritable dividend player for one that doesn't pay a dividend. With DG starting its dividend, the argument falls away.

To combat the vagaries of the retail sector you need to choose a company in a well defined niche. The dollar store format is exactly that, easily scaleable a new store costs DG roughly 70-85k a year in rent with minimal overhead. The small footprint combined with low priced items that turn over quite frequently allows for frequent inventory turns. As any retail vet will tell you, the money is made based on how frequently you turn over your inventory. For me DG is a buy hold and reinvest play that can be held through through the entire economic cycle.

On a side note, I should have held DG then what a move.
    May 16, 2015. 09:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Is Poised To Break Out [View article]
    Rusty,

I am primarily a value investor who seeks out undervalued plays as a way to mitigate downside risk. The healthcare sector has appreciated quite a bit over the past couple of years making bargains difficult to come across. The values I see are GILD and AMGN both of which I own. Feel free to follow my work, I will update when I see a particularly compelling valuation such as last summer when WBA dropped 16% on an apparent "disappointment". http://seekingalpha.co...
    May 16, 2015. 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Is Poised To Break Out [View article]
    133,

$110 may offer round number resistance, yet in my view the $108 level held more significance. A solid close above $110 should serve as a signal the shares are poised to retest their all-time highs at $116. I would not write any calls against my position currently.
    May 15, 2015. 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Is Poised To Break Out [View article]
    Bobcat,

Thanks, I hope so as well.
    May 14, 2015. 09:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Is Poised To Break Out [View article]
    II,

I am a pharmacist, the photo you see is a work photo of mine. I am required to wear the jacket although I would much rather wear shirt and tie.
    May 14, 2015. 09:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Is Poised To Break Out [View article]
    Office,

Thank you, I appreciate it.
    May 14, 2015. 09:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Is Poised To Break Out [View article]
    galicianova,

Due to the rapid growth via its HCV franchise, GILD has more upside than AMGN. I am long AMGn as well and quite interested to see how Praluent does this year.
    May 14, 2015. 09:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Gilead Sciences Is Poised To Break Out [View article]
    Keith,

The models included in my articles show the fair value of the company using a Discounted Cash flow analysis. I do consider AMGN and GILD as long term holds (long both issues). GILD has more upside than AMGN.
    May 14, 2015. 09:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment