Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Ensco PLC Offers A Sobering Look At The Dynamics Affecting Its Core Markets [View article]
    Pedro,

Would you say conditions are getting better or worse in the industry?
    The next question is at when can we reasonably expect an uptick in dayrates which will drive earnings higher?

Two very simple questions that I posed to myself when I invested in the company. My answer now is 2017 with more pain to come over the next two years a significant change in outlook. At some point it is wise to limit losses and reinvest elsewhere. Why tie up capital in an industry facing significant challenges over the next 3 years. I am finding outstanding value elsewhere and would be a fool to continue to hold when easier less volatile gains are to be had elsewhere. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 18 05:00 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    11146471,

The low p/e I am afraid is illusionary and not predictive of future earnings. ESV operates in a cyclical industry that is now experiencing a cyclical downturn. The question becomes, how long will the downturn last before we will see peak earnings again? The latest conference call makes it pretty clear it will be a 2017 or later event. If that is indeed the case expect lower earnings going forward especially with new supply coming onto the market.

Keep in mind, last year management was able to contract out the assets held for sale at a fairly high day rate. For them to decide to sell now means they fully realize they won't be able to contract them out and conditions may indeed be getting worse. I will pass here and move along. There are other more attractive plays than the offshore drilling sector at this time. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 18 04:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • When The Aggressive Distribution To Shareholders Is Promising [View article]
    Ari,

An excellent article as usual. Have you looked at CBS, the former parent company of VIA.B? They seem to be even more aggressive in repurchasing their shares.
    Aug 15 08:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Coca-Cola Enterprises Offers A More Compelling Total Return Than Cola-Cola. [View article]
    DGJ,

Thanks for the complement. I write about companies I invest in and detail the reasons behind my action. As you can imagine, when you have your own personal money on the line you tend to be as thorough as possible. As for CCE, I want them to remain independent as the management team here is stellar. A shareholder can expect above average overall gains as long as they are patient. CCE will continue to reward shareholders via share reductions and dividends with a greater emphasis on share reductions. The stability and relative ease of predicting the companies revenues and profits make them an ideal candidate for this strategy. Take a good, long objective look at them. There is a lot to like here. Feel free to follow my work, I just wrote about CBS. CBS in my view is a similar play to CCE with similar upside.
    Aug 11 07:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    DJG,

There has been speculation partly fueled by KO announcement of reorganizing their bottling franchises that they may make a move and acquire CCE. I personally hope this doesn't happen, as the gains to be had from CCE remaining publicly traded outweigh the potential offer from KO. CCE dutifully repurchases shares and hikes the dividend, with the difference being the a higher skew towards reducing shares outstanding compared to what KO does. CCE is a great way to capitalize on the Coca-Cola brand without holdings the parent company. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 10 03:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Walgreen - Brutal Sell-Off Offers An Attractive Entry For The Patient Long-Term Investor [View article]
    James,

The US market is very similar, with retail pharmacies a mature industry. What the combined companies will get is scale and with it a lower cost of goods. The transformation of pharmacy has begun with pharmacies (in the US) beginning to offer more clinically oriented services such as immunizations. The profit growth going forward will be in the mid teens which is very acceptable for such a mature company. Look at the low end of guidance issued and juxtapose it with earnings estimates for this year. Plenty of eps growth left. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 9 02:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    divestor,

The value here is very evident. Notice how the shares were up sharply today in an otherwise tough market. It seems the two day 20% drop was unwarranted. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 7 09:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Cape,

You are very welcome. I always regretted selling WAG in 2012 after the election on fear the market was going to tank. the fear was unfounded and the position got away from me. Yesterday, I corrected a mistake. The sell-off in a few years time will be viewed as a gift to the long term patient investor. thanks for reading and taking the time to comment.
    Aug 7 07:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    heartman,

I suspect you will be proven correct as the 20% sell-off seems a bit extreme. Best of luck and thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 7 07:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Holdings Earnings [View article]
    doctor,

You are very welcome. Perhaps in time I will be proven wrong. For now, SIRI was a profitable short term trade for me. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 5 07:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Holdings Earnings [View article]
    Stephen,

Sorry for the tardy response, I gave been traveling for business. I read what you have written and others, however my decision to sell stands. I always viewed holding the shares as a trade in my particular a profitable trade. I will look to redeploy the funds elsewhere at the appropriate time. I was very disappointed as I suspect others were as well with the Street's tepid response to SIRI numbers. Best of luck with your positions.
    Aug 5 07:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Holdings Earnings [View article]
    Kyler,

Watch the fully diluted number carefully. It tells a far different story. Next earnings release will be quite interesting.
    Aug 4 08:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Holdings Earnings [View article]
    Jack,

Your last sentence is very telling. If this was such a non-issue why wasn't it handled better. Furthermore, the elaborate reasons cited by others has failed to sway my thoughts. The story here should be quite simple, yet it is being obfuscated, for reasons I can't fully grasp. If the share number was a mere mea culpa by management it fails to speak well for their stewardship. I will continue to monitor the situation, as the company has potential. The question remains will they be able to realize it. Thanks for reading and adding to the discussion.
    Aug 4 06:19 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Citigroup: Cheap For A Reason? [View article]
    6228371,

Sorry, I will pass on European banks. A trust issue on my part.
    Aug 4 06:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Holdings Earnings [View article]
    Stephan,

Selling in my estimation is the best course of action here. I was very disappointed by the quarter and tend to shy away from companies with complicated financial reporting. I got the sudden feeling of "I have seen this before, and I won't be happy". I will continue to follow the company and look forward to the next earnings report. Perhaps this issue will be resolved as you mention above. Time will tell, thanks for reading and adding to the conversation.
    Aug 4 10:57 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment