Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Has The Opportunity In Yahoo Passed? [View article]
    A Fraser,

BABA options begin trading before the end of the month.
    Sep 19 04:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has The Opportunity In Yahoo Passed? [View article]
    Rasna,

If I may interject here a bit, it wasn't just institutions selling to hedge positions. I suspect there were quite a few traders who were looking for a quick pop on YHOO and used it as a proxy for the BABA IPO. The bulk of the money will be made in the coming weeks. We are still in the 1-2 inning of the game. You are correct, YHOO is certainly an activist/takeout candidate. The board will be under enormous pressure to unlock value here. The next earnings report will be quite interesting.
    Sep 19 04:51 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has The Opportunity In Yahoo Passed? [View article]
    buyitcheap,

Today's price action was certainly disappointing to say the least. I will continue to hold YHOO shares as the price discrepancy is quite large here. I wouldn't be short here and may actually look to sell some puts to generate some income. Excellent trade on your part along with a very astute observation.
    Sep 19 04:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has The Opportunity In Yahoo Passed? [View article]
    DGJ,

Adding some debt to BABA balance sheet would lower their WACC. With today's low interest rates it maybe a very attractive proposition. Again, it just depends on the numbers. Lets see where the IPO finishes at today and where it trades next week. If their is a significant price discrepancy, someone will make a move to realize the gains, it may not be BABA.
    Sep 19 12:06 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Using Yahoo As A Unique Way To Capitalize On The Upcoming Alibaba IPO [View article]
    plustick,

Lets see what the day brings. BABA comprises over 80% of the value of YHOO. It is an anomaly for BABA to spike 30% higher without the value being reflected in the shares of YHOO. There will be some type of discount yet over 20% isn't sustainable over a long period of time. The value will eventually be reflected in the shares.
    Sep 19 11:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has The Opportunity In Yahoo Passed? [View article]
    DGJ,

If BABA decides to take control of YHOO, I expect it to be in cash. The deal would be structured so they will be able to acquire their shares at a discount. It would still be an excellent deal for the early YHOO investors. It's a fluid situation and one that will garner quite a bit of chatter overt the next couple of weeks. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 19 09:00 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has The Opportunity In Yahoo Passed? [View article]
    Ivan,

Currently YHOO is slated to open 1.5% higher. Lets see where BABA ends the trading day.
    Sep 19 08:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    m8,

Thanks for the kind words. I have grappled with this exact question and have decided to stay to course with YHOO for the following reason. Trying to purchase BABA at the open may expose me to an unfavorable price. I can see where we can get some interesting price swings on the shares. Once the shares stabilize, say after a few trading days it will be worthwhile to use a sum of parts valuation in YHOO to determine if holding YHOO is a better play. There aren't any definitive answers that can be gleamed ahead of tomorrows price action. The situation is very fluid, yet in my view a profitable one hence my participation. If time permits, I plan on doing an updated article using BABA closing valuation to answer the exact question you have posed. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 18 05:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Citigroup Will Double Over The Next 5 Years [View article]
    Jason,

The price action on C today was very impressive. Let's see if momentum will continue.
    Sep 18 05:51 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Citigroup Will Double Over The Next 5 Years [View article]
    Lon,

I think we will both get there. As of today's close, C is now my largest holding. As you can imagine, I am very bullish on their prospects. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 18 04:11 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Citigroup Will Double Over The Next 5 Years [View article]
    C shares are up quite sharply today.
    Sep 18 01:05 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Steve,

I will do a follow up article, perhaps this weekend. I will use the IPO closing price to re-adjust the model. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 18 12:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ivan,

To me, it is not a big issue, instead I view it as a positive. I suspect the IOP will be very well received and will open sharply higher. Management didn't attempt to squeeze every last dollar and has left some for others. Tomorrow will be a very interesting day. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 18 12:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    plustick,

Bloomberg reported that yesterday. Quite a bullish bet. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 18 12:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Has The Opportunity In Yahoo Passed? [View article]
    Ted,

I suspect we are in "wait and see" mode as the next leg up for YHOO will come once BABA is freely trading. The shares are pricing in a discount as shown in the model above. I expect the discount to narrow post BABA IPO. It may take a bit though, there is quite a bit of speculating going on. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 18 12:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment