Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Dollar General Morphs Into The Next Great Dividend Growth Play [View article]
    Timmies,

I look for consistent, sustainable growth. The initiation of a dividend is a signal of managements confidence in the future. Check out this article, http://bit.ly/1PpLvSm . Notice the commentators thought I was crazy to dump a veritable dividend player for one that doesn't pay a dividend. With DG starting its dividend, the argument falls away.

To combat the vagaries of the retail sector you need to choose a company in a well defined niche. The dollar store format is exactly that, easily scaleable a new store costs DG roughly 70-85k a year in rent with minimal overhead. The small footprint combined with low priced items that turn over quite frequently allows for frequent inventory turns. As any retail vet will tell you, the money is made based on how frequently you turn over your inventory. For me DG is a buy hold and reinvest play that can be held through through the entire economic cycle.

On a side note, I should have held DG then what a move.
    May 16, 2015. 09:06 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rusty,

I am primarily a value investor who seeks out undervalued plays as a way to mitigate downside risk. The healthcare sector has appreciated quite a bit over the past couple of years making bargains difficult to come across. The values I see are GILD and AMGN both of which I own. Feel free to follow my work, I will update when I see a particularly compelling valuation such as last summer when WBA dropped 16% on an apparent "disappointment". http://seekingalpha.co...
    May 16, 2015. 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    133,

$110 may offer round number resistance, yet in my view the $108 level held more significance. A solid close above $110 should serve as a signal the shares are poised to retest their all-time highs at $116. I would not write any calls against my position currently.
    May 15, 2015. 10:50 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bobcat,

Thanks, I hope so as well.
    May 14, 2015. 09:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    II,

I am a pharmacist, the photo you see is a work photo of mine. I am required to wear the jacket although I would much rather wear shirt and tie.
    May 14, 2015. 09:37 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Office,

Thank you, I appreciate it.
    May 14, 2015. 09:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    galicianova,

Due to the rapid growth via its HCV franchise, GILD has more upside than AMGN. I am long AMGn as well and quite interested to see how Praluent does this year.
    May 14, 2015. 09:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Keith,

The models included in my articles show the fair value of the company using a Discounted Cash flow analysis. I do consider AMGN and GILD as long term holds (long both issues). GILD has more upside than AMGN.
    May 14, 2015. 09:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Rose,

Welcome aboard, nothing like a higher growth mane to add some pizzazz in a portfolio.
    May 14, 2015. 09:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SRB,

I was impressed with the Japanese reimbursement rates. I wonder if they were factored into managements revenue numbers. I just realized it closed above $108 today. Watch we will push towards all-time highs very shortly as $108 capped the shares out in December. Great move today!!!!
    May 14, 2015. 09:29 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    cms,

You are very welcome.
    May 14, 2015. 09:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    sana,

You are very welcome.
    May 14, 2015. 09:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Timmies,

The ascent continued today. Lets see if we can top $108 and hold that level.
    May 14, 2015. 09:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ptatty,

The Bush move to threaten to invalidate Bayers patent on Cipro was done to drive the price down in an effort to stockpile it in case of an anthrax attack. It was done under the grounds of national security, the situation does not exist with HCV. The protests from the business community over the ability to negate a patent on a whim would be deafening. The Feds negotiated a stellar deal already for Sovaldi/Harvoni.
    May 14, 2015. 09:20 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment