Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Why I Am Exiting My Position In General Electric [View article]
    bobcat,

Thank you for the kind words. I look at all securities held from an "arms length" perspective and refuse to become emotionally attached. The goal is to take advantage of the opportunities presented.
    Apr 18, 2015. 08:47 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Exiting My Position In General Electric [View article]
    Eric,

I agree, my question to you as a DGI will you look for an equivalent yielding company or would you accept a lower dividend for a higher growth rate?
    Apr 18, 2015. 08:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Exiting My Position In General Electric [View article]
    Whiteshell,

I have them at $29-30 a bit higher but not much. I don't see the value there, hence the decision to sell. I suspect an opportunity will present itself in the near future with far more upside. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Apr 18, 2015. 08:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Exiting My Position In General Electric [View article]
    Qniform,

It boggles the mind how some will fault you for taking a profit. The name of the game here is to make money. When a companies outlook doesn't fit my original thesis, its time to move on. Thanks as always for reading and commenting.
    Apr 17, 2015. 11:01 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Exiting My Position In General Electric [View article]
    leeskyblue,

I can appreciate where you are coming from. I am in the middle of my career where income is not the primary objective which allows me to move out of GE. If I needed the dividend income, I would not be exiting the position. Thanks fore reading and commenting.
    Apr 17, 2015. 09:40 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Exiting My Position In General Electric [View article]
    buyandhold 2012,

I agree with you on the comment concerning high flying momentum stocks. NFLIX run a couple of days ago simply defies logic. Where i digress with you is the role of research. The more time put in understanding the business and its underlying prospects the more informed decision one can make. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Apr 17, 2015. 09:30 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Exiting My Position In General Electric [View article]
    Brad,

Actually I was inclined to sell on Monday, yet thought we might see a follow through if the earnings report came in better then expected. The other earnings reports I was following today were MAT, and SLB both of which finished up on the day. GE seems to be hit with significant selling at this point, I suspect those who aren't enamored with managements vision are using the current price as a reason to exit. For me it was always a trade, there are other industrial plays that are far better run and have performed much better over the past 5 and ten years. I wish them the best of luck with the transition, their over reliance on the fiance division almost sunk the entire company.

On a side note, I had the awful timing in 2008 of buying in at $30. My initial purchase of GE was in 2008 at $30 based in a 4% yield and the ability to compound the dividend. Needless to say, the $30 mark gave way quite quickly. I reinvested all dividends received and purchased additional shares in the low to mid teens to average down to roughly $16 per share. The position was closed in November of 2012 at $21 and small change for a tidy profit. Not the best call, yet with diligence and additional timely purchases the position posted a compounded annual gain of 5.59%. The move today is my second go around with GE.
    Apr 17, 2015. 09:27 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Exiting My Position In General Electric [View article]
    maybenot,

The clairvoyant answer should have been sell last Friday and place the proceeds in PM. That would have been a great move. As always, thanks for reading and commenting.
    Apr 17, 2015. 07:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Exiting My Position In General Electric [View article]
    lakeaffect,

Thank you. The shares performed much faster than expected. I am pleased with the outcome and will update my next move.
    Apr 17, 2015. 07:42 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Exiting My Position In General Electric [View article]
    waytule,

Actually I am ambivalent towards Mr Immelt. I have successfully traded out of GE twice over the past ten years. I am not comfortable holding theshares here however i wish them the best of luck. If another opportunity presents itself in Ge, I will return.
    Apr 17, 2015. 07:29 PM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why I Am Exiting My Position In General Electric [View article]
    doc47,

The SYF deal is expected to close by year end and is still on the table. The SYF spin-off is part of the share repurchase scheme hatched by the board. I am pleased with the results of the trade, I suspect there will be additional opportunities shortly. Thanks again for reading and commenting.
    Apr 17, 2015. 07:27 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting My Decision To Sell Phillip Morris International [View article]
    Occams,

My call last July was spot on and my decision to enter in again was validated by the market. If I had stood I would have less than I do now due to the stellar run put in by ALL. In the end, its all about performance.
    Apr 16, 2015. 08:47 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting My Decision To Sell Phillip Morris International [View article]
    Rose,

Very pleased with today's outcome.
    Apr 16, 2015. 08:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Ride The Rails With Union Pacific [View article]
    john,

$105 seems to be the magic number here as string support comes in at that price. I am happy with my price as it is quite difficult to pick bottoms. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Apr 15, 2015. 08:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Time To Ride The Rails With Union Pacific [View article]
    UNP held up quite well today making up most of the ground lost.
    Apr 14, 2015. 04:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment