Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Update: Sirius XM Holdings Earnings [View article]
    siri2014,

Couldn't agree more, a really disappointing reaction to the quarterly numbers. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 4 10:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting My Bullish Stance On Citigroup [View article]
    Haywood,

I will go on record here and state we are not entering into a recession. Rates will stay low for the balance of the year.
    Aug 4 10:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Allstate Reports Stellar Numbers, Expect Further Gains To Follow [View article]
    Mongo,

Thank you for you well thought out comments. I will post a new article about my other insurance company shortly.
    Aug 4 10:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Holdings Earnings [View article]
    nap.jerry,

There are certain things to like in the SIRI story namely free cash flow growth and some things to despise such as the option overhang. Right now, the option overhang is a bit more than expected. The next earnings report should be quite interesting. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 4 09:45 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Holdings Earnings [View article]
    Doctor,

We shall see how the story plays out. It is an interesting one to follow. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 4 09:43 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Holdings Earnings [View article]
    joe,

I very well may revisit the issue at some point in the future. The option overhang here is a bit unsettling. I will stay on the sidelines and await the next earnings report to gauge their progress in reducing their fully diluted float. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 4 09:42 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Holdings Earnings [View article]
    Kyler,

Take a look at the total number of fully diluted shares outstanding. You can repurchase as many shares as you want on the open market, however if you continue to issue options you mitigate much of the impact. A perfect example is CSCO who was notorious for repurchasing shares and then issuing options that mitigated most of the effect. In CSCO defense, they will no longer issue options as part of managements compensation which will greatly aid in their repurchase activities. SIRI in my opinion would be best served following CSCO and IBM example in this regard. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 4 09:39 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Sirius XM Holdings Earnings [View article]
    pfgreens,

You are certainly sitting on some significant cap gains, great job. When I entered into my SIRI stake, I was optimistic the company would use its significant cash flow to reduce its float. Management was successful in reducing shares in circulation, yet the option overhang is significant. I was disappointed to see this and hence my decision to leave. I may revisit the shares at some point in the future, however for now its the sideline for me. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 4 09:35 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Citigroup: Cheap For A Reason? [View article]
    Craven,

Thank you for the praise. I remain a C bull as evidenced by this article. http://seekingalpha.co... C is for investors not traders as the real movement will occur next year once they are allowed to return excess capital to shareholders. Patience is the key here, as the returns will come.
    Aug 3 07:30 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting My Bullish Stance On Citigroup [View article]
    Wharton,

Interesting comment, let me address your points.

1- You are discussing the past which has no bearings on the future. Your comment is similar to using a rear view mirror to drive. Using your time frame, what was a hypothetical investors return using the same instruments if we ended the time frame in say 2005?
    2-Their is risk in every venture, at no point is anyone saying there is no risk involved in holding and security let alone C.
    3-Not sure I agree with the stats you have thrown out. Notice the bad debt held not only by c but other banks are slowly being worked out. I firmly believe we are in recovery mode here contrary to popular belief. The banks are very lean here and sort of meaningful rate uptick with flow very nicely to the bottom line. You say over valued, I say under valued. We shall see who is proven correct.

I would like to thank you for reading and your thought provoking comment. You get author's pick.
    Aug 3 07:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Raising My $100 Price Target For Gilead Sciences On Sovaldi Sales [View article]
    Stockdaddy,

The original price was $100 which has been raised due to GILD stellar earnings report. I suspect the shares will continue to rally, hence my updated target of $120. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 3 06:43 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mongojerry,

A very interesting comment. I used the underlying to more accurately gauge the companies performance. Insurance companies can easily increase sales by relaxing their underwriting standards. However, these policies will come home to roost a few years down the line and will sink their combined ratio. In ALL case, the combo ratio rose this quarter which would make it difficult for the reader to gauge how well the company did. The underlying ratio painted a more consistent picture to the gains shown by the company hence its inclusion. You have raised some very valid points and I will have to read up further on your points. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on the article.
    Aug 1 09:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Hershey Company Offers The Best Value In The Food Processing Industry [View article]
    Cash flow assets,

I personally took the plunge and purchased shares today at $88.20. HSY is way oversold here, I doubt it will decline further to $82 my original wish. I plan on holding the shares for the long term and reinvesting the dividend. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 1 09:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect GlaxoSmithKline's Dividend To Expand Into The 5% Range [View article]
    Rich,

As you can imagine, I am less than enthused by GSK recent performance. That being said, I wasn't upset by the recent earnings report. It takes time for new drug sales to ramp up. The four new products that GSK had approved will power the company hire.

The second part that I like is the asset swap with NVS. Shrewd move that will pay off down the line. What's missing in the equation is immediate results. The Street is very myopic here. The calculus is very simple collect a stellar yield while waiting for the new products to power EPS hire. I enjoyed the article you linked in your comment above, thanks for sharing.
    Aug 1 08:59 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Expect GlaxoSmithKline's Dividend To Expand Into The 5% Range [View article]
    Dmagman,

The oncology division consumes a large amount of R&D which is an expense for the company. Once this division is jettisoned the consistent cash flow from the consumer division will help bolster the dividend. Keep in mind their new respiratory products will gain traction which should more than offset the loss of Advair sales. Their new GLP-1 product will compete on price with Victoza the market leader. The lower price will greatly aid its placement as the preferred product on most formularies a these remedies are quite costly. And finally, the bribery scandals will eventually diminish and the guilty will be punished. Once it is settled its back to business as usually except in GSK case they actually have new novel compounds to peddle which has been largely absent for a while. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 31 05:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment