Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Raising My $100 Price Target For Gilead Sciences On Sovaldi Sales [View article]
    Pat,

The irrationality has given a score of individual investors the opening needed to enter into this outstanding company. As for the tax issue, the best I can say is the long term cap gain rate huts less then the short term gain does. Thanks for reading and making your first comment on this forum.
    Jul 28, 2014. 08:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike,

Thanks, I very much look forward to how the GILD story plays out over the next 18 months. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 28, 2014. 08:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Canman,

We as investors should be thankful that Sovaldi is difficult to model. Most would have never gotten an opportunity to get in on them. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 28, 2014. 07:45 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    ajax,

Take a look at a long term chart of GILD from 2007 through 2011. The shares were basically flat even though HIV sales continued to roll in. Sales growth had plateaued and the shares reflected this reality. This phenomena is evident in many pharma companies. Take a look at PFE in 1997-2000. The share traded at sky high multiples due to the huge predictable revenue stream that would come from Lipitor. Many were disappointed as the shares returned far less than they expected even though Lipitor became the best selling drug of all time.

I very well could be too conservative. I prefer to err on the side of caution. The major wild card here is their pipeline. Will it produce another couple of home runs. I suspect yes, due to the stellar management team. I would love to be proven very wrong here.
    Jul 28, 2014. 07:43 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Visa Is My Largest Holding, With Further Gains Expected [View article]
    sashapeppy,

I will use Warren Buffett's portfolio as an example. He has the bulk of his money in his four biggest holdings (KO,AXP,WFC,and IBM). By identifying these companies as superior long term growth companies and holding a large stake in them he has outperformed over a large period of time. The key is to make sure the few you choose to concentrate in are truly exceptional companies. Thank you for reading and commenting.
    Jul 28, 2014. 07:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    doctorjomo,

Gild is rapidly moving its way up in my holdings. They are currently number 4, although I wouldn't be surprised if they ended the year at 2. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 28, 2014. 06:40 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Jose,

I wouldn't bet against it. GILD has some excellent momentum behind them.
    Jul 28, 2014. 06:38 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    simon,

I will stay with $120 for now. I hope to be proven "wrong" and the shares trade higher. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 28, 2014. 06:38 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    CSYJ,

I firmly agree, notice how big pharma struggles as the heads aren't scientists. MRK CEO is a corporate lawyer for example. The world class management team of GILD is one of their main strengths. It is also in my estimation glossed over by most. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 28, 2014. 06:36 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    ajax,

The P?E discount revolves around the short course of treatment, Sovaldi actually cures people so the typical annuity type revenue stream isn't present. The difficulty here is modeling when sales peak and how steep the plateau will be. I prefer to err on the side of caution and raise expectations once earnings come in. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 28, 2014. 06:34 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Tim,

V is easier to predict hence the higher P/E, GILD numbers and their growth is simply astounding. I suspect $120 maybe proven to be conservative once again. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 28, 2014. 06:32 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Cim,

It very well could happen. It would make me very happy. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 28, 2014. 06:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rseye,

I figure around $150-$170. A lot depends on peak Sovaldi sales and the new drugs in GILD pipeline. A very fluid situation. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 28, 2014. 06:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Hershey Company Offers The Best Value In The Food Processing Industry [View article]
    Timmies,

HSY is a great company, however they are a tad expensive here. I will keep an eye on them and may have to raise funds if they do fall an additional 5%. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 28, 2014. 06:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Why Visa Is My Largest Holding, With Further Gains Expected [View article]
    Plato,

I have seen Montisie and was intrigued buy them however I have enough capital allotted to this space. Mobile payments will take off, yet I fail to see V not getting large piece of the action. In the case of Montisie, they could easily be acquired if their technology is deemed necessary similar to what the major pharma companies do to the smaller players. The next few years should be quite interesting and I will continue to follow this trend. Its a good alpha generating one with a long tail.
    Jul 28, 2014. 03:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment