Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Ensco Has Doubled Its Dividend This Year To 5%: Is It A Buy? [View article]
    Bingy77,

Not sure who this is addressed too. As for me "In summary, I find the investment case for ESV to be quite compelling at its present quotation. I have initiated a position at $58.32 and anticipating holding the position for a minimum of eighteen months. I will be reinvesting the dividends while patiently waiting for capital gains to materialize. Thank you for reading and I look forward to your comments" Nothing has changed to alter this view.
    Jan 14 06:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ensco Has Doubled Its Dividend This Year To 5%: Is It A Buy? [View article]
    Pedro,

I also believe the Sterne Agee numbers are conservative. Even using the conservative numbers and projecting forward, their is some significant value here in ESV.
    Jan 14 06:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • T-Mobile Has Vulnerable Verizon In Its Sights With A Price War For Users [View article]
    citizen 1,

Excellent point, which echoes much of my own experience. I suspect when all is said and done, two things will change. There will no longer be 2 year contracts with a subsidy given to pay for new phones. The second being, the churn won't nearly be as bad as most feared.

At that point, I wonder how many will be willing to constantly spend $700 for the newest version of the Iphone or its competitors.
    Jan 12 05:16 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting My Bullish Thesis On Bristol-Myers Squib [View article]
    norjud,

Not necessarily. With he PBM's its all about the total cost of your whole portfolio of drugs. Eliquis could garner a preferred status over Pradaxa or Xarelto if it was tied to a lower price on some of the costly oncology drugs. I suspect Pradaxa has the most to lose, as the dosing regiment is the same.
    Jan 12 04:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting My Bullish Thesis On Bristol-Myers Squib [View article]
    Betty,

You are very welcome.
    Jan 12 04:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting My Bullish Thesis On Bristol-Myers Squib [View article]
    norjud,

It depends on the data that comes from the additional post marketing studies. I am surprised by the lack of traction Eliquis has had so far. I expect BMY and PFE to rev up the marketing push and grow sales on this key product. Perhaps, it came follow Crestor's path. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jan 12 01:00 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting My Bullish Thesis On Bristol-Myers Squib [View article]
    choiminshik,

The Street won't even wait 6 months, forget 10 years. The most successful investors think in terms of decades not days, such as yourself.
    Jan 12 12:58 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Michael,

You raise some interesting points on VZ. I agree to avoid VZ as the debt taken on to acquire the remaining portion of their wireless division will prove to be quite costly. I was especially non to pleased to see the amount of new shares that will be issued along with the debt.

Notice the catch in TMUS proposal which is if you purchase a new phone. New phones begin at a minimum of $400 to as high as $700. Financing is available based on credit which will stymie some customers. So in essence, for a family of 4 smartphones I can leave say VZ and switch to TMUS for a lower monthly contract however I will need to shell out at least $1600 for new smartphones.
    Not the greatest deal, once the math and finance come into play along with the interest charges. I'll pass.

In the mobile space, I am a fan of T as they have a A credit rating backed by very strong cash flows. Management has been methodically reducing shares outstanding, which in my view enhances their 5% plus dividend. Their capital expenditure to completely build out their 4G network will be complete by 2015, so capex should come down sharply. At bare minimum, if capex reduction is used to augment the share reduction plan and boost the dividend , an investor will do very well in T.

For further details on my view of T see http://seekingalpha.co...

Thanks again for the article, I enjoyed it.
    Jan 12 09:19 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting My Bullish Thesis On Bristol-Myers Squib [View article]
    Big blocks of calls trade in Bristol Myers (BMY). Shares are up 83 cents to $55.83 and moving to fresh record highs. Options volume is focused in the January 52.5 and February 57.5 calls. According to a source on the exchange floor, an investor sold 16,400 Jan 52.5s and at the same time bought 13,350 Feb 57.5s. Looking at trade history and open interest, the activity appears to close a position in the in-the-money Jan calls to open a new one in the upside Feb calls. More than 30,000 BMY Feb 57.5 calls have changed hands and the activity seems to be reflecting confidence in the stock for the next two months

From Friday's option activity recap courtesy of Optionsxpress
    Jan 12 09:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Revisiting My Bullish Thesis On Bristol-Myers Squib [View article]
    choiminshik,

The shares will trade higher in anticipation of the increased revenue stream. I figure a year after approved the shares should show year over year eps growth. BMY certainly shows significant promise here and I will enjoy the ride from here. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jan 12 08:53 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ensco Has Doubled Its Dividend This Year To 5%: Is It A Buy? [View article]
    Sterne Agee believes non-conventional and deepwater drilling will rise steadily during the next few years, and it encourages investors to have exposure to both trends via the highest quality names and in companies with specific catalysts.
    The firm thinks WTI crude prices will remain in a fairly stable $85-$95 range over the next two years, rig growth will rise slightly in 2014 and accelerate in 2015, and deepwater drilling visibility will remain strong for several years.
    The firm's favorites are Halliburton (HAL), Schlumberger (SLB) and Oceaneering (OII), with Tetra Technologies (TTI) the top pick among sector small caps.

If the above prediction comes true, Ensco is an absolute steal at this level.
    Jan 11 08:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GlaxoSmithKline: Collecting A Bond-Like Yield While Waiting For Significant Share Appreciation [View article]
    Excellent news

GSK melanoma combo gets accelerated FDA approval • 7:33 AM

The FDA has granted accelerated approval to GlaxoSmithKline (GSK +1.4%) for the combined use of its Tafinlar and Mekinist drugs for treating melanoma that cannot be removed by surgery or which has spread to other organs.
    The authorization is the first of its kind for a form of melanoma that has a specific genetic profile.
    The treatments have already been approved for separate use, but GSK believes that they'll work better when given together. (PR)

Hopefully we will get more good news on this drug

Jan 10 09:30 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Evaluating Lilly's Dividend Prospects In Light Of Cymbalta Patent Expiration [View article]
    occmasrazor,

In my practice, Cymbalta is only being prescribed for neuropathy whereas Effexor will be prescribed fro depression. Interestingly, due to the income demographic of my practice the main SSRI's are Zoloft and Celexa due to their inclusion on Wal-marts famed $4 list.
    Jan 10 08:35 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Ensco Has Doubled Its Dividend This Year To 5%: Is It A Buy? [View article]
    Pennies,

You make an excellent observation. Management mentioned they expect to see an uptick in downtime this year due to maintenance. I don't believe the amount of time there are in for repairs is excessive, and was most likely factored into their earnings estimates.

The shares are very cheap right here, when combined with the dividend a long term shareholder should do very nicely. I plan on holding my shares for quite some time to allow the magic of compounding to take hold. I would like to see management initiate the share buyback program that they have announced previously. At this multiple a buyback will be beneficial to earnings the minute the start retiring shares. Thank you for reading and commenting.
    Jan 10 08:31 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Top Dow 30 Pick For 2014 Is IBM [View article]
    The 200 dma is at 191.85, it will be interesting to see if IBM can hurtle this number. We may get a technical breakout here as the shares have rebounded off their 50dma. Let's see, if 2014 will be much kinder than 2013.
    Jan 7 02:44 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment