Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Commentary On Gilead Sciences' Recent Plunge [View article]
    SRB,

There is no doubt there was large institutional based moves as they took money out of biotech. Is this a tradeable bottom? I think it is yet we will find out over the course of the next few weeks.
    Dec 25, 2014. 01:37 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Commentary On Gilead Sciences' Recent Plunge [View article]
    Robert,

It was an abbreviated day and the biotechs bounced. Merry Christmas to you and a prosperous New Year.
    Dec 25, 2014. 01:36 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commentary On Gilead Sciences' Recent Plunge [View article]
    Fear,

Thank you very much for the compliment. Incidentally it was your article along with Doctorx that led me to thoroughly study GILD. I have spent many fruitful hours researching them and have become quite comfortable with their outlook. I actually added to my position yesterday at $86 and change as the sell-off seems very overdone to me.
    Dec 24, 2014. 12:57 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commentary On Gilead Sciences' Recent Plunge [View article]
    somedata,

Just to add some additional color to your comments, I wait for large institutional dumping. I have used it numerous times over the past few years as an excellent entry point. Some examples GOOG 5/12 SBUX in7/12, ORCL 6/13, GILD 4/14, GOOGL, 12/14, WAG 8/14, HSY 7/14. The point I am trying to illustrate here is the major advantage an individual investor has over the institutions. They are quite aware of GILD value, yet are forced to sell due to short term performance issues. They are desperately trying to prop up year end results. Lets see where GILD is trading at when the calendar flips to January.
    Dec 24, 2014. 12:55 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commentary On Gilead Sciences' Recent Plunge [View article]
    Mike,

As of 9:45am on 12/24 GILD is up to $92 per share retaking the 200DMA. At what point do the shorts cover and drive the shares higher. The clock is ticking on them. Volume is much lower today, I suspect the institutional dumping has abated.
    Dec 24, 2014. 09:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Commentary On Gilead Sciences' Recent Plunge [View article]
    alfons,

Well stated and I firmly agree with your conclusion.
    Dec 24, 2014. 09:44 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Currently On The Clearance Rack, Time To Buy [View article]
    awayk,

As an aside, I tend to add some low beta plays such as VZ, CL, XOM, GIS to negate some of the volatility of my biotech holdings. The strategy is working as biotech is selling off aggressively yet the portfolio is in the green. Next year should be a good one with some volatility.
    Dec 24, 2014. 08:43 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Currently On The Clearance Rack, Time To Buy [View article]
    rockjcp,

I agree the key for VZ is to pay down debt. I do not foresee an aggressive share reduction plan in the near future. The debt reduction plan is a priority. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Dec 24, 2014. 08:41 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Currently On The Clearance Rack, Time To Buy [View article]
    awayk,

The reason for my optimism is rooted in S balance sheet. The company hasn't been profitable in over 6 years. Hardly the type of financial condition that can withstand a prolonged price war. A similar case can be made for TMUS as well. I suspect 2015, they will be forced to focus on profits which will bring an abrupt end to the "price war". Watch the churn rates for a clue to the effectiveness of the promotions. so far, it has had a minimal impact on both T and VZ. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Dec 24, 2014. 08:40 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Currently On The Clearance Rack, Time To Buy [View article]
    SPM,

The unfunded liabilities is a concern yet it is being mitigated by low interest rates. When rates rise it will become more of an issue requiring VZ to fund it from FCF. This will lower the overall amount they can hike the dividend. Excellent question, thanks for reading and commenting.
    Dec 24, 2014. 08:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Currently On The Clearance Rack, Time To Buy [View article]
    maybenot,

VZ is certainly one of those boring consistent companies you don't have to constantly follow. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Dec 24, 2014. 08:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Currently On The Clearance Rack, Time To Buy [View article]
    walterbyrd,

I may very well do just that. I made a similar move this summer selling T to purchase CTSH. So far the move has paid off quite well. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Dec 24, 2014. 08:32 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Currently On The Clearance Rack, Time To Buy [View article]
    Timmies,

Yes, the telecom sector is on sale currently. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Dec 23, 2014. 10:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Currently On The Clearance Rack, Time To Buy [View article]
    Neurology,

I sold T in the summer to add CTSH at what wound up to be a very attractive price. T in my view is second best with a caveat. They have the better credit rating due to the enormous debt VZ took on to acquire VZ wireless stake they didn't own. If both of the companies decide to slow capex a bit and earmark the shares for other purposes the shares could really take off. In VZ case it should be debt reduction and in T case a share reduction plan.

The final selling point here is VZ has a slightly better network and reputation. The FIOS division is top notch and should continue to grow over the next few years. Income is not a factor for me so I choose VZ however if income is tantamount then the better choice would be T. Hope the explanation helps and as always thanks for reading and commenting.
    Dec 23, 2014. 07:28 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Verizon Currently On The Clearance Rack, Time To Buy [View article]
    Fear,

Thank you, I tend to shy away from lower growth companies yet the numbers here especially risk adjusted are too good. Low volatility plays such as VZ help balance out some of the portfolio volatility especially from my biotech holdings. Thanks as always for reading and taking the time to comment.
    Dec 23, 2014. 06:50 PM | 4 Likes Like |Link to Comment