Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • My Bullish Investment Thesis On General Electric [View article]
    AI,

The Synchrony tender will reduce GE float in essence acting as a large tax free share buyback. Management should be applauded, the structured the move very well. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jan 29, 2015. 03:15 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Bullish Investment Thesis On General Electric [View article]
    TJryan,

The lack of volatility is what makes GE well suited for dividend reinvestment. thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jan 29, 2015. 03:14 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Bullish Investment Thesis On General Electric [View article]
    Coaly,

Thanks for the kind words. In my view quality and value are often not synonymous, you will find companies with obvious flaws in the value camp. When a world class company such as GE becomes not only a value play but a highly despised entity you are at a good point. Most of the upside is gone when a stock becomes universally loved. GE neatly fell into that category in the late 90's
    Jan 29, 2015. 03:13 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Bullish Investment Thesis On General Electric [View article]
    doc47,

My initial purchase of GE was in 2008 at $30 based in a 4% yield and the ability to compound the dividend. Needless to say, the $30 mark gave way quite quickly. I reinvested all dividends received and purchased additional shares in the low to mid teens to average down to roughly $16 per share. The position was closed in November of 2012 at $21 and small change for a tidy profit. Not the best call, yet with diligence and additional timely purchases the position posted a compounded annual gain of 5.59%. In light of how the economy fell apart and my original ill times foray I was quite pleased with the gain.

My question is who is Abba?

The last part of your inquiry not sure if you are attempting to be rude however I measure the success of my choices based on the growth of the portfolio. To say the least I am quite pleased with my performance and am well on my way to financial freedom.
    Jan 29, 2015. 03:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Bullish Investment Thesis On General Electric [View article]
    maybenot,

After being out of GE for a couple of years its nice to see a few positive catalyst in place that will drive performance forward. With a yield of nearly 4%, GE doesn't have to move much to achieve a 10-12% overall return the threshold I used when evaluating the shares. As always thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jan 29, 2015. 03:03 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Bullish Investment Thesis On General Electric [View article]
    Mike,

Thank you for the very detailed comment. I will also keep my shares and will not tender them back to GE. Management indicated the event may actually be a 2015 event it depends on timing and interesting comment. Either way, once the divestiture is complete GE will begin to trade more like an industrial company than a finance company with an industrial segment.
    Jan 29, 2015. 02:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Will Provide Healthy Growth In High-Margin Businesses [View article]
    Musings,

Thank you for the recommendation. IBM is a contrarian play here with a choppy US market. If we see revenues stabilize, $185 is actually a conservative figure. Thanks gain.
    Jan 29, 2015. 02:51 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Outlook Remains Gloomy For Mattel... For Now [View article]
    Musings,

Thank you for the interesting article. MAT is at a crossroads with further innovation needed to restore revenue. The Megabloks acquisition is a step in the right direction. MAT is a long term hold and reinvest, the generous dividend compensates investors while they await a turnaround.
    Jan 29, 2015. 10:39 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Bullish Investment Thesis On General Electric [View article]
    higginson,

Your comment may prove to be correct. I suspect the bottom for the oil market is yet that does not mean its straight up from here. The oil division will report weak numbers which will be offset by other divisions in GE most notably power and aviation. GE is a buy, hold reinvest play here as multiple catalyst are firmly in place to finally drive the share price higher. Once SYF is divested we will see the shares in the low 30's as the portion of earnings related to GE capital shrinks some more. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jan 28, 2015. 10:49 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • My Bullish Investment Thesis On General Electric [View article]
    baerrus,

The market as a whole is behaving badly, hence the opportunity for the longer term investor. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jan 28, 2015. 10:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Bullish Investment Thesis On General Electric [View article]
    falconetti,

The terms of the SYF swap have not been released as of yet. GE is structuring the deal in a similar fashion to the swap CBS executed with its outdoor division CBSO. Those that wanted exposure to the higher yielding CBSO swapped there CBS shares for it reducing the remaining float of CBS. Once the spinoff is complete, I agree GE will move once again. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jan 28, 2015. 10:44 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Illustrating Why McDonald's Is Undervalued At Its Current Share Price [View article]
    Ge article is now live and can be seen here.

Jan 28, 2015. 08:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    The new CEO's Bio.

Jan 28, 2015. 08:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    maybenot,

No MCD holds quite a bit of value, especially in a sideways market such as the one we are currently in. The high dividend will be quite useful. And yes, IBM will take off once revenue stabilizes, I will continue to cover them when warranted.

Check back at 8:30pm tonight, my article on GE goes live. I sold GE in 2012 at 21.10 figuring it would underperform going forward. Well, it is undervalued with a strong dividend and guess who is back in. Sold WBA to enter into them on Monday.
    Jan 28, 2015. 07:05 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Arthur J. Gallagher: Solid Company And Management In Industry With Moats, But Valuation Leaves Something To Be Desired [View article]
    BSL,

Thank you for the detailed, in depth article. I have examined AJG many times and have come away unimpressed as we can see with your projections. Depending on a 25 multiple five years from now is quite a stretch. Your conservative case of a 16 multiple equates to dead money whereas the midpoint value nets out 6% growth. If AJG every sells off, I will revisit the issue yet for now the value simply isn't there. Thank you gain for the article, I enjoyed it.
    Jan 28, 2015. 06:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment