Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • My High Share Buyback And Dividend Growth Portfolio 1st Quarter 2014 Update [View article]
    Ari,

You have nicely summed up the theory behind the moves. I am optimistic the new companies will outperform the older ones, however time will ultimately tell. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Mar 26 04:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    momintn,

Excellent points, you are pointing out the difference between an investor and a trader.
    Mar 26 11:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    panchovia,

I use the S&P 500 as the benchmark to gauge performance. I haven't really looked at SYLD, upon an initial glance it doesn't have a very long track record. I will have to read up further on their investing style. As for my performance, 100 has grown to 185.13 since 2010 as compared to 180.41 in the S&P for the comparative period. Last year the return was roughly 31%, which under performed, however I will take that sort of performance any year. I suspect we won't see that type of gain again for at least a few years.

A fund can achieve significant long term out performance by mitigating or avoiding significant losses when a recession occurs. That will be the real test for me, luckily the test won't come this year. Avoiding a significant loss will allow for the magic of compounding to take hold, we shall see how successful I will be in this endeavor. Thanks for taking the time to read and post a comment on the article. I will look further into the fund you mentioned.
    Mar 26 10:33 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GlaxoSmithKline: Collecting A Bond-Like Yield While Waiting For Significant Share Appreciation [View article]
    The European Commission gives a thumbs up to GlaxoSmithKline's (GSK) treatment for type-2 diabetes, Eperzan (albiglutide).
    It is a once-weekly monotherapy to improve glucose control in metformin- intolerant patients

Excellent news, lets see if it can get approved in the US>
    Mar 26 10:14 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    freedOm,

I have no doubt that IBM will continue to make acquisitions in the software space to bolster their presence. I suspect they will focus on smaller deals, however Symantec may become a possibility down the road, I don't have any particular insight on this issue. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Mar 26 07:38 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Texw,

You have made a very fair point. We shall all see in about 3 weeks. Thanks again.
    Mar 25 10:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    moneymorality,

Very well said. I am hard pressed to see a scenario where the major companies with all their legacy systems opting to go with an upstart with a shorter ( in number of years) track record. As you so eloquently stated, the price of failure is too high. Thanks for taking the time to reading the article and making an excellent observation.
    Mar 25 09:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Mike,

Thank you for further adding to the break out thesis today with your stats. I am optimistic we will see some follow through tomorrow. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Mar 25 09:18 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    UncleSam 187,

Thanks for the technical perspective. I am not as well versed in technical analysis however I do know a bit and today was a definite break out. Lets see we should get some follow through tomorrow. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Mar 25 09:16 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    texw,

Actually if you take the chart out a year, the dramatic sell offs after a weak earnings report become more evident. The 190 number has cause significant overhead resistance over the past 6 months which seems to have been obliterated today. I am hoping for a positive earnings report and new highs, we shall see in 3 weeks. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Mar 25 09:14 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Hhmiles,

The shares are certainly undervalued here, any sort of good news on the earnings front will cause the shares to hit your target price. I am optimistic, thanks for reading and commenting.
    Mar 25 09:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    slam stocks,

The pullback will happen only if it does miss its earnings report. We will know for sure in about 3 weeks. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Mar 25 09:10 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Bahams1,

Very well said, I agree with you.
    Mar 25 09:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rickraff,

Buying back shares when the stock is trading at a below market multiple is an excellent use of capital that will eventually enrich the long term patient shareholder. Sectors fall in and out of vogue with Wall Street on an almost daily basis, the trick to generating an above average gain while taking below average risk is to catch an outstanding company that has temporarily fallen out of favor. Such is the case for IBM today. The shares broke out today as the quarter is rapidly drawing to a close. Their is a distinct possibility that the big boys on the Street have done their channel checks and have determined that the quarter may have very well gone IBM's way. If we get a positive earnings report the shares will hit a new high above 215 which would be nice to see. I am optimistic however the market will have the final say on April 16th when IBM is tentatively scheduled to report. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Mar 25 09:09 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    kolizacr,

The cloud is not as straight forward as everyone believes it is. I suspect the current software vendors (IBM, ORCL, SAP etc) with their large installed base will continue to migrate their customers over to this platform. I don't expect this to be the end of them, rather a new way of earnings their customers business. It will be interesting to see the gross margin of the software division of IBM when they report their earnings in April. 90% gross margins are simply fantastic. Thanks for taking the time to read the article and post a thought provoking comment.
    Mar 25 09:01 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment