Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Wells Fargo Offers An Attractive Combination Of Dividends And Capital Gains. [View article]
    Greg,

Well stated, I couldn't agree more. Thanks for reading and adding to the conversation.
    Jul 30 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Fun,

WFC is certainly best in class in the industry. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 30 07:53 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Raising My $100 Price Target For Gilead Sciences On Sovaldi Sales [View article]
    Tristero,

Typically in the pharma field once an established product gets an additional classification added to its label it doesn't move the needle much. The reasons is most clinicians who would be prescribing it are typically doing so under an "off label" premise. Idelalisib isn't an established product yet, instead it is in its infancy so a major label expansion especially with a high dollar item such as this will move the needle. I won't factor it in until the approval is given though.
    Jul 30 07:52 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Hershey Company Offers The Best Value In The Food Processing Industry [View article]
    Frizzo,

You may want to review the HNZ deal as a template for what HSY would fetch if it were allowed to be acquired. HSY is structured where the majority shareholder, the Milton Hershey trust owns all the class B shares which carry 10 voting rights each. HNZ was acquired due to its strong brands and easily predictable revenue stream. Buffett mentioned the real value in these companies is five years down the road. What will HNZ earnings look like 5 years later after significant cost cutting? I bet the answer will be much higher, probably approaching if not exceeding Buffett's 15% compounded target.

If Buffett was allowed, I believe he would acquire HSY tomorrow and make it a 100% owned division of BRK. The easy of predictability along with the best margins in the business would certainly appeal to him. Thanks for reading and adding to the conversation.
    Jul 29 09:39 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    2REB,

The short answer is 2x BV with a dividend rate of 3% based on $50 per share. The price increases as BV goes up. Not sure what your break even price is. Using its current BV, 2x BV is $130 per share. Big turning point comes next March when they get the okay from the Feds to return capital to shareholders. Very long C which is now one of my top 5 holdings. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 29 09:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Tristeo,

As I mentioned in the article, the addressable market currently for idelasib is relatively small. It will take some time for the compound to gain traction. The story for GILD remains Sovaldi sales. As for Truvada I doubt we will a significant pick up sales with the new indication. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 29 09:02 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Marek,

You are very welcome, GILD certainly exhibits the signs of a fantastic growth company. Lets see how the story plays out. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 29 08:54 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jax4bux,

WFC is a truly exceptional company. Best in class and not by coincidence its largest shareholder is one of the best in Warren Buffett. It becomes easier to see why he has been such a stellar investor, he holds exceptional companies instead of ordinary ones. Thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to read and comment.
    Jul 29 07:35 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Haywood,

Thank you I really appreciate it.
    Jul 29 06:19 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Crazy,

You are very welcome.
    Jul 29 03:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    AT,

Leaps are an interesting way of approaching the GILD story. I agree, the Street simply can't model GILD growth efficiently. The AAPL comparison is particularly valid, as AAPL would exhibit a slowing of growth in anticipation of its new product launch. The collapse of AAPL share price last year and its subsequent rise this year parallels the anticipation of its new product launch.

The price very well could go significantly higher from here, especially if GILD pipeline bears additional higher dollar compounds. A bit of patience and a longer term perspective should suit most well here. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 29 12:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Cash,

The P/E is elevated due to the consistent profits generated by the company. As for the dividend, it is a tad on the lower side of the food industry yet the prospective hikes over the next few years are enticing. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 29 09:13 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    6228371,

I am not sating it can't reach $140 by the end of the year. Actually if it did, it would be a virtual doubling of my stake which is certainly in my best financial interests. I am trying to analyze the prospects here and not get caught up in hype/emotion. I prefer to be "proven wrong" here and the fault being I am too conservative. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 29 08:28 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    pupertz,

Very confident. It goes back to the faith in management and their competence. If their were significant patent issues, GILD wouldn't have purchased the rights to Sovaldi in 2011. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 29 08:25 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Exxon Mobil Quietly Breaks Out To A New High [View article]
    Alpha,

I view XOM and CVX in similar terms, large well established oil majors well suited for a long term hold. I prefer XOM for the metrics described above along with their consistent share repurchase plan. CVX prefers to pay a higher dividend.

BP is a more controversial play here due to the Macondo disaster. BP was assigned virtual pariah status, yet I am very impressed with Bob Dudley the new CEO. BP offers the best growth/dividend prospects of all the oil majors. They have large stake in Russia which has affected sentiment a bit, yet this will pass. Thanks for reading and commenting, hopefully the above helps.
    Jul 29 08:19 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment