Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Cognizant Technologies Offers Investors An Opportunity To Double Your Money With Below-Average Risk [View article]
    narayanp2,

I purposely omitted any reference to the share reduction plan for the following reasons. The primary reason is when a company is still in its ascendancy such as CTSH, options are often used in lieu of cash. Option overhang exists for CTSH with the buyback amount used to offset options dilution. Outstanding shares have remained virtually flat since 2010.

The second reason is I wanted the reader to focus on in my opinion the most salient part of the CTSH story, its growth potential. At some point hopefully in the distant future (6 or more years) revenue growth may become harder to come by. At that point an aggressive return of capital via share reductions would be very much in order akin to what IBM and ORCL are currently doing. I maintain it is in the best interest of shareholders now for CTSH to use its capital and stellar credit rating to purchase additional bolt on companies to grow the business further. The TriZetto acquisition is an excellent example of this. Thanks very much for reading and commenting. Your comment has added to the story.
    Sep 16 11:44 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Paul,

Take a look at them, a very unique company. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 16 11:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Oil Price Has Limited Downside [View article]
    Aris,

Great article as always. The short term volatility is typical Wall Street worrying over an imagined problem. The bottom line for oil is the price will remain higher as worldwide economic growth continues. With interest rates absurdly low and staying there expect growth to continue and the price of oil to trend higher next year. I am long BP, XOM and SLB in the energy space. All three are long term holds with dividends being reinvested.
    Sep 16 08:51 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Lululemon: My Assumptions In Levered Returns' Valuation Model Suggest Cramer Is Right [View article]
    First Principles,

Thanks for the positive mention. The tools offered by Levered Returns are quite interesting. As for markb comment, using a terminal growth value of 6% is quite aggressive and highly unusual. You are basically modeling LULU will be able to grow its revenues at a 6% clip a year into perpetuity.
    Sep 15 04:57 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reviewing My Bullish Stance On BP [View article]
    doc47,

In my particular case, the BP position is up roughly 10% in a years time which is certainly acceptable. The past history is just that, the past. I am more interested in what it does in the future. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 11 08:46 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Using Yahoo As A Unique Way To Capitalize On The Upcoming Alibaba IPO [View article]
    Ivan,

It will be interesting to see what BABA does after the IPO. Reports state BABA will have at least $50 billion to use for an acquisition. YHOO would certainly make an interesting takeout candidate. Lets see what happens. For now long YHOO.
    Sep 11 07:58 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Recent Purchase: Schlumberger [View article]
    Investing doc,

Just to add to your excellent article. I calculate roughly half of the eps growth SLB is projecting will come from efficiency gains. Management is looking to aggressively pair its expenses which will boost its margin. The numbers they are projecting are in fact conservative and very doable. Very long SLB with a recent add to my position at $106. Thanks for the article.
    Sep 10 09:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • 42 Good Companies: Do They Trade At A Good Price? [View article]
    Shiv,

Thank you for the well thought out article. Your thoughts neatly parallel my own on SLB, MCD, WMT. IBM and BP.
    Sep 10 08:56 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ivan,

I saw a report today that stated, BABA IPO is fully subscribed after only 2 days. I strongly suspect the price range will go up as the offering becomes quickly over subscribed. Great news for YHOO longs.
    Sep 10 08:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reviewing My Bullish Stance On BP [View article]
    user,

BP is better suited for the buy/reinvest crowd. BP isn't well suited as a trading play. You will do very well by holding and allowing the dividend to reinvest. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 8 09:07 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reviewing My Bullish Stance On BP [View article]
    drm200,

The growth in book value incorporated most of the points you mentioned. The growth in the value of oil is the largest driving force behind the growth in BV. Oil has appreciated faster than the official rate of inflation over the past thirty years. I expect the trend to continue. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 8 12:52 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reviewing My Bullish Stance On BP [View article]
    Hayesni,

The value is certainly there. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 8 12:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reviewing My Bullish Stance On BP [View article]
    Gentlemen,

Just to elaborate further, Russia holds a vast amount of recoverable oil. Russian oil currently trades at a discount to the spot market. At some point sanctions will be eased. The demand for oil will necessitate further development of these assets especially in the Northern colder climates. Keep in mind XOM has an interest in certain Russian projects as well.
    Sep 8 12:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Reviewing My Bullish Stance On BP [View article]
    Bahamas,

I was heartened to see the UK response this morning. Perhaps, sanity will eventually enter into the proceedings. As a side note, notice how the US government has allowed BP to drill for oil in the GOM again. I expect a resolution for less than the maximum amount. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 8 12:42 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    ismartwealth,

Lets hope this is the beginning of a profitable run for us YHOO longs.
    Sep 8 07:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment