Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
    badeconomy,

I would term myself a "value" investor as such, the market as whole is quite expensive here. I sold my GE position two weeks ago and have yet to deploy the funds. I suspect it will be a while before a new purchase is made. How does this apply to GILD? GILD as shown above is quite inexpensive, eventually the market will recognize it a nd value it accordingly. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    May 1, 2015. 06:26 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    cms,

Thank you I appreciate it.
    May 1, 2015. 06:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Doc,

Thank you, I appreciate it. I read your missive on GILD as well and thoroughly enjoyed it!!
    May 1, 2015. 06:12 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    independent,

Actually, GILD been stuck in a tight range over the past six months which has unnerved quite a few. As long as the cash rolls in a management doesn't squander it we as shareholders will be in good shape. Thanks fully for us, GILD management team is top notch.
    May 1, 2015. 06:07 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    SLR,

Thanks!
    May 1, 2015. 06:03 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    CI,

I am not inclined to sell covered calls here. I realize $105 has acted as a hard cap for quite a while here, however the shares have new found momentum. The shares reclaimed the 50 and 200 day MA, I would like to see the shares take out $110 to establish a new range. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    May 1, 2015. 06:02 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jstartt,

I would be happy to shed additional light on my thinking. I routinely build similar models on all of my holdings as a way of helping me to determine whether to add, reduce and sell a position. I really don't focus on EPS, I find cash flow as a more useful metric. It is much harder to mask your cash flow with accounting gimmicks.

In the case of GILD, I prefer to err on the side of caution due to the fact the HCV cures patients. Once cured the revenue stream from that particular individual ends. Notice coming off the back of a stellar quarter, management raised guidance yet again.

I am keenly interested in how GILD fares as they are my largest position if you account for option exposure. Believe me, I would like nothing more than the shares to ascend straight to $150. Thanks as always for reading and commenting.
    May 1, 2015. 05:57 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Goalkick,

I would be surprised if they made the move to acquire VRTX. VRTX may eventually fall prey to large pharma though. I am more intrigued by their potential. If they are successful in additional combination in an attempt to expand the patient population pool the shares will really take off.
    May 1, 2015. 05:45 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    dothemath,

Your theory in my opinion is correct. The trick part for GILD is the sustainability of HCV due to the fact it actually cures patients thus negating the annuity like revenue stream that traditional pharma relies on. If GILD HCV treatment required chronic use, GILD would be the most valuable entity in the healthcare space.

If you look at the model above, adjust the out year in the model to show positive revenue growth and notice how the FV changes dramatically. Analysts are keenly aware of this and it is part of the reason VRTX was bandied about. See http://seekingalpha.co..., if you notice the LR model, I modeled continuous revenue growth and the FV jumped dramatically.

GILD management is quite sharp, they realize the question of sustainability of the HCV revenue stream is what is holding back the shares. This is the reason why so much of the CC was spent on the R&D pipeline. I will say this, once they produce a new novel treatment that can help stem some of the decline the shares will really take off. Thanks as always for reading and commenting.
    May 1, 2015. 05:41 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Alessandro,

Very well said, the smaller biotech plays are quite expensive here.
    May 1, 2015. 05:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Dothemath,

Shorting GILD is foolish, they are far better choices put there. The cash flow is very strong here.
    May 1, 2015. 05:33 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    dothemath,

You may very well be correct although some still have targets below where GILD is currently trading at. I am curious to see how funds handle the dividend. If my thesis is correct, a new wave of investors will begin to own GILD as DGI play. Lets see what happens. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    May 1, 2015. 10:46 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    piptief,

Eventually the market will come along and re-rate the shares much higher. Performance is the key and GILD continues to simply knock the cover off the ball.
    May 1, 2015. 10:41 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    GGG,

Actually, not only the safest in biotech but the market as a whole. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    May 1, 2015. 10:39 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment