Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
AAPL, AMGN, BBBY, BBY, BMY, BP, BPT, C, CCE, CL, CMG, CPB, CSCO, CVX, DE, DEO, DOW, DTV, DXJ, DZZ, ESV, EXPD, FXY, GD, GDX, GE, GIS, GLD, GOOG, GSK, HIG, HSY, IBM, INTC, JNJ, KO, KR, LLY, LO, M, MAT, MCD, MO, MSG, NKE, NOC, O, ORCL, PAYX, PFE, PG, PM, RAD, RDS.A, RDS.B, RIG, ROST, SBUX, SHLD, SVU, SWY, T, TGT, THI, TSM, UNH, V, VVUS, VZ, WAG, WMT, WY, XHB, XOM, ZIP
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • McDonald's: Business Model, Valuation And Minimum Wage Legislation [View article]
    Tom,

An absolutely ridiculous comment. There is nothing wrong with earning some money while being a student. Furthermore the job skills learned, some examples include following a schedule, having to deal with a boss, being punctual, not getting your way aren't skills that are taught in school. I greatly respect your work, yet the last comment makes me shake my head.
    Feb 26 08:11 PM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BP's Mega-Billions In Oil Spill Payouts And Accounting Charges Are Back On [View article]
    I hope BP does appeal to the Supreme Court and I for one would welcome their decision. If the Supreme Court feels it is necessary for the company to pay fictitious claims then the whole legal system needs to be scrapped. I suspect they won't, however I will be anxiously awaiting a decision.
    Mar 4 07:38 AM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Most Deceptive And Dangerous Financial Headline I Have Ever Seen [View article]
    I also have to thank James for all his dire articles. I have been aggressively purchasing since August and have done well because of it.

I don't believe that James is a perma bear just very early. The issues that he points out are very real and dire. I believe that they will be resolved but will require pain. The rally that we are in is just a temporary liquidity induced rally that will run out of steam once the stimulus runs out.

I figure sometime in Late April early May will be when suddenly bad news from Europe or China begins to be taken more seriously by market players. For now enjoy the ride.
    Apr 2 10:07 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Does Coca-Cola's Compensation Dilute Shareholders? [View article]
    Tim,

I for one, welcome the challenge to management. The shares have failed to keep pace with the S&P 500 over the past couple of years and now managemnt wants further rewards for a job well done. The following line from your article sums it up best "Either way, it works out to a compensation package of $2.9 million per employee receiving the stock grants (of course, the shares don't have an even distribution).

So the employee's will be getting roughly $3 million for underperforming. I would have far less of a problem with this if the companies growth rate was closer to 10% with a clear answer to the challenges that they face in the North American market. I will continue to moniter the situation and may decide to depart. Thanks for the article.
    Mar 25 02:04 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T CEO Telegraphs The Bottom In The Shares [View article]
    Just Ducky,

Wow, that would be a bargain indeed. The yield would be 6.5% at that rate. I doubt we will see it however if it does get there I will double my holding. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Mar 12 02:18 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Tom,

You assume a bit much with your statement. I have seen bright people flame out in their professional due to the fact this was their first real job and they were missing skills most assumed they would get elsewhere.

There is no substitute for work and the lessons taught by it.
    Feb 26 10:07 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: This Is Your Last Chance To Buy [View article]
    Ashraf,

"I apologize for the somewhat dramatic title, but at this point, I'm finding it unbelievable that many Intel (INTC) "investors" are choosing now to bail. It is my belief that anybody who did not fundamentally believe in the Intel story should have sold years ago, and that those who truly understand what is coming should not be frightened now, but instead be taking any and all opportunity to double down for what is likely to be the realization of the multi-year long thesis. This, my dear readers, is, in my view, quite possibly the last chance to get in before what I believe to be a powerful reversal in both the business and, more importantly, sentiment surrounding the stock."

Thats fine you are a INTC permabull. What everyone would like to know is price target and time frame. Lets be specific here, it would do your audience a great service to crystallize your view in raw numbers not some vague promises of greatness just around the bend. Thanks in adavenace for your comment.
    Aug 2 01:50 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Time To Give It Up [View article]
    Michael Blair,

I disagree, earnings weren't inline hence the sell-off. Your view of sustained growth in my opinion is wildly optimistic. For the sustained growth to materialize they would need quite a few major mobile wins which I don't see forthcoming anytime soon. The traditional PC is dying with more users migrating to mobile devices. Intc high end products are quite good but the growth currently is coming from the emerging market where its tablets and mobile phones. Sorry, I don't plan on sticking around to see how this plays out. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 18 11:06 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Is Intel's Failure To Hike Its Dividend A Sign Of Things To Come? [View article]
    AnonymousAlpha,

People need to make their own decisions on how to proceed in life. A smoker is fully aware of the risks involve ion their behavior and if they want to continue to engage in it then that is their business. PM was chosen as an example in this article due to the similar dividend yield. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 29 09:35 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T CEO Telegraphs The Bottom In The Shares [View article]
    Ray,

A little financial alchemy here and we get a growth company. Similar to XOM, a consistent buyback especially at these depressed levels along with a yearly bump in dividends will work like magic. If they simply continue to sell off their wire line business as they have demonstrated in the past and plow the money into reducing the float we will get some earnings growth.

Don't discount them, they will be the last man standing in any sort of price war. Once the war is over, they will have pricing power again and revenue will jump. Also their wireless car initiative may lead to further future growth. These are for me additional potential positives. The stable revenue combined with the dividend and share reduction is what drew me to them. If they grow in a few years even better. As always thanks for reading and commenting.
    Mar 12 02:24 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BP Prudhoe Bay Royalty Trust Overvalued By 30% In This Price Environment [View article]
    Charles,

The author is stating his opinion and backing it with assumptions as shown by his calculations. The market consistently misprices securities for various reasons. A negative view should be judged on its merits and appreciated since it adds to each investors due diligence . Too often on this site authors "cheerlead" securities. I would much rather see positive and negative articles giving a more balanced view.
    Aug 6 11:28 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Alan1967,

Ethics has nothing to do with the PM story. Tobacco is a legal substance that the Federal government regulates and heavily profits of its use via excise taxes.
    Jul 29 09:31 PM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Real Estate Market Just Hit Rock Bottom [View article]
    I believe that the author needs to split the market into two segments starter homes and everything else. The greatest amount of activity will be in the starter home market precisely because of low rates. With a minimal down payment an FHA loan in may cases will be less than a comparable rent. The high end market will continue to languish until the economy picks up.
    Feb 12 11:34 AM | 6 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • My Top Dow 30 Pick For 2014 Is IBM [View article]
    kdt34wqx,

Actually the company has a long track record of doing both: bolt on aquisitions coupled with share redductions. With a larger portion of the business shifting to service and software and away from hardware, margins increased along with the predictability of their revenue stream.

Take a look at the quote I included from the recent 10-Q. I added it to demonstrate managment isn't just buying back shares, it is investing for the future. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Dec 24 09:24 AM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly Parts Of Investor Day [View article]
    ARG1,

I hate to defend GS here but I am afraid I will to some extent. The reason for such a low figure has to do with EPS growth or in INTC case the lack of. As you can see from the table I included in the article, eps are down for three straight years in spite of the buyback. I fear if margins come in weak it will be four in a row. The market consistently values companies that aren't growing at 10 to 12 times earnings which is about where INTC is today.

To get a higher multiple you need to see eps growth at minimum. This pattern can be seen in other diverse industries such as oil majors and other mature tech companies such as IBM and CSCO. I think the GS number of $16 is overly pessimistic since that would factor in a sharp earnings shortfall or a multiple of less than 9. If it does trade at that level, count me in for a double position as that would be too good of a deal to pass up. Thank you for reading and commenting.
    Nov 22 08:31 PM | 5 Likes Like |Link to Comment