Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • Gilead Sciences Is A Safe Harbor From The Market's Recent Volatility [View article]
    old faithful,

Thanks for the kind words.
    Sep 2, 2015. 09:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    jammer,

You are very welcome.
    Sep 2, 2015. 09:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    siddharth,

You are very welcome.
    Sep 1, 2015. 08:29 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    CSYJ,

I suspect it has, the test will be when MRK Hep C treatment receives FDA approval. Healthcare remains one of the more consistent sectors to invest in. Thanks for the link.
    Sep 1, 2015. 04:27 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Ajax,

Exactly, thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 1, 2015. 04:24 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    SRB,

Thanks for the timely info. I suspect GILD will report an additional beat and raise quarter partially due to the recent approval in Japan. My hunch is guidance for next year will come in comfortably above my projections, I anxiously await to see what management will share with us during the next call.
    Sep 1, 2015. 10:51 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Caution Warranted Until Some All Clear Signals Seen [View article]
    Bret,

Great article, thanks for linking my article.
    Sep 1, 2015. 10:11 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    vipilot,

I do not follow TRN so I can't really comment in their prospects.
    Sep 1, 2015. 09:36 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    CSYJ,

The Street remains skeptical of the franchise's overall staying power as illustrated by the low multiple equated to the shares. GILD is being priced today as if the Hepatitis C franchise will enter into a terminal decline in 2016 and GILD is powerless to stop the decline.

I do not share this view, my model indicates a low single-digit revenue increase in 2016.

Some time back, an analyst floated the idea that GILD should purchase Vertex Pharmaceuticals (NASDAQ:VRTX). The idea as I elaborated on previously is to arrest the expected revenue cliff as demand for GILD flagship Hepatitis C franchise begins to wane. While I concluded the idea does have merit, I do not envision the company making such a costly acquisition.

The idea certainly has merit, yet as stated above I do not see a deal being consummated. Instead this sentence sums up my thoughts.

I anticipate GILD will become more active in the M&A space in 2016 as a preliminary clinical date in various trials begins to filter through.

GILD remains an attractive name her in the biotech space. I intend on holding for the long term to allow the story to fully develop. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 1, 2015. 09:20 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Doc,

Agreed. The market is certainly volatile here, if they do stabilize patient investors will be afforded an attractive entry point. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 1, 2015. 09:15 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Lvmoda,

The question I pose to you is this, are you sure we haven't seen the capitulation selling already? I posted the charts above with the RSI to illustrate just how deeply oversold the market became last week. My suspicion is the bottom is the lows set last Monday. Now will we retest the lows, more than likely. If we share the same opinion that a US recession is not in the cards, putting money to work here should be rewarded when markets stabilizes. My guess as to when would be once the third quarter earnings season begins in Mid-October or if the Fed comes out and states they will not raise interest rates this year.
    Sep 1, 2015. 08:46 AM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    rmsinfo,

When the market sells-off such as what we are currently witnessing, ETF's will indiscriminately dump all shares. This is the opportunity for the individual long term investor to gain exposure at an advantageous price. The business continues to chug along quite well, the only difference between this week and say 3 weeks ago is the overall mood of the market. Watch the pace of the overall business and ignore everything else. You should do quite well doing exactly this. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Sep 1, 2015. 08:18 AM | 18 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sinclair Broadcasting: Double-Digit Cash Flow, Multiple Catalysts To Drive Stock [View article]
    Martin,

You are very welcome.
    Aug 28, 2015. 08:55 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Martin,

Details of the new deal are confidential. The news that is available t the public is the deal has been agreed to. Most companies in this space will not reveal any details on the fees they get. As for the FCF projections, I doubt they will have changed. When new deals are struck they tend to pass down a price hike. Management may shed further light in the subject during next quarter's conference call. As for reputation damage, I doubt the impact will last for long. It seems hardball tactics are the way deals are struck lately.

As for changes in viewing habits, the broadcasters have local rights to the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox and CW). These are the most frequently watched channels and in my view the least likely to be affected by "cord cutting". The most vulnerable are those that produce content that is not "live" and can be time shifted. Viacom is vulnerable here as they depend on the bundle to fund their enterprise. Disney is vulnerable as well as they company actually depends in the ESPN brand to drive revenues. Many mistakenly believe its the movie franchise that drives them, it's not. DIS went into a free fall when they mentioned a sub loss during the recent conference call. ESPN is the most expensive portion of your cable bill, an easy target for non-sports fans to part with. The fear here a greater number will choose a package that is sports light forcing those that want sports to pay a higher price.

As for percentage of float held short there are those with the opinion the industry is not a favorable one to invest in. I believe the FCF generated coupled with the upcoming spectrum auction should cause the analyst community to re-rate the stock. We shall see in early April after the auction. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 27, 2015. 11:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AstraZeneca: A High-Yield Play In The Burgeoning Oncology Field [View article]
    Smurf,

The dividend is well covered by cash flow. Management is aggressively pairing expenses which frees up additional FCF. The dividend is a bit lumpy partially due to currency translation. The main driver for AZN going forward is the clinical pipeline, I can appreciate being paid to wait for the compounds to be brought to market. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Aug 27, 2015. 09:23 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment