Alexander J. Poulos

View Alexander J. Poulos' Comments BY TICKER:
Latest comments  |  Highest rated
  • McDonald's: Business Model, Valuation And Minimum Wage Legislation [View article]
    Tom,

An absolutely ridiculous comment. There is nothing wrong with earning some money while being a student. Furthermore the job skills learned, some examples include following a schedule, having to deal with a boss, being punctual, not getting your way aren't skills that are taught in school. I greatly respect your work, yet the last comment makes me shake my head.
    Feb 26 08:11 PM | 17 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • BP's Mega-Billions In Oil Spill Payouts And Accounting Charges Are Back On [View article]
    I hope BP does appeal to the Supreme Court and I for one would welcome their decision. If the Supreme Court feels it is necessary for the company to pay fictitious claims then the whole legal system needs to be scrapped. I suspect they won't, however I will be anxiously awaiting a decision.
    Mar 4 07:38 AM | 14 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The Most Deceptive And Dangerous Financial Headline I Have Ever Seen [View article]
    I also have to thank James for all his dire articles. I have been aggressively purchasing since August and have done well because of it.

I don't believe that James is a perma bear just very early. The issues that he points out are very real and dire. I believe that they will be resolved but will require pain. The rally that we are in is just a temporary liquidity induced rally that will run out of steam once the stimulus runs out.

I figure sometime in Late April early May will be when suddenly bad news from Europe or China begins to be taken more seriously by market players. For now enjoy the ride.
    Apr 2 10:07 AM | 12 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Much Does Coca-Cola's Compensation Dilute Shareholders? [View article]
    Tim,

I for one, welcome the challenge to management. The shares have failed to keep pace with the S&P 500 over the past couple of years and now managemnt wants further rewards for a job well done. The following line from your article sums it up best "Either way, it works out to a compensation package of $2.9 million per employee receiving the stock grants (of course, the shares don't have an even distribution).

So the employee's will be getting roughly $3 million for underperforming. I would have far less of a problem with this if the companies growth rate was closer to 10% with a clear answer to the challenges that they face in the North American market. I will continue to moniter the situation and may decide to depart. Thanks for the article.
    Mar 25 02:04 PM | 11 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • AT&T CEO Telegraphs The Bottom In The Shares [View article]
    Just Ducky,

Wow, that would be a bargain indeed. The yield would be 6.5% at that rate. I doubt we will see it however if it does get there I will double my holding. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Mar 12 02:18 PM | 9 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What I Am Doing With My AT&T/DirecTV Shares [View article]
    peapaw,

The DTV purchase will enhance future dividend payouts, which speaks very well of T view of their dividend. I believe it is safe to say, T holds the dividend as sacred and will continue to take any steps necessary to protect and grow the payout. This policy makes T, a suitable bond substitute which is the reason why I hold it in my portfolio. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    May 27 09:04 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Tom,

You assume a bit much with your statement. I have seen bright people flame out in their professional due to the fact this was their first real job and they were missing skills most assumed they would get elsewhere.

There is no substitute for work and the lessons taught by it.
    Feb 26 10:07 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: This Is Your Last Chance To Buy [View article]
    Ashraf,

"I apologize for the somewhat dramatic title, but at this point, I'm finding it unbelievable that many Intel (INTC) "investors" are choosing now to bail. It is my belief that anybody who did not fundamentally believe in the Intel story should have sold years ago, and that those who truly understand what is coming should not be frightened now, but instead be taking any and all opportunity to double down for what is likely to be the realization of the multi-year long thesis. This, my dear readers, is, in my view, quite possibly the last chance to get in before what I believe to be a powerful reversal in both the business and, more importantly, sentiment surrounding the stock."

Thats fine you are a INTC permabull. What everyone would like to know is price target and time frame. Lets be specific here, it would do your audience a great service to crystallize your view in raw numbers not some vague promises of greatness just around the bend. Thanks in adavenace for your comment.
    Aug 2 01:50 PM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Intel: Time To Give It Up [View article]
    Michael Blair,

I disagree, earnings weren't inline hence the sell-off. Your view of sustained growth in my opinion is wildly optimistic. For the sustained growth to materialize they would need quite a few major mobile wins which I don't see forthcoming anytime soon. The traditional PC is dying with more users migrating to mobile devices. Intc high end products are quite good but the growth currently is coming from the emerging market where its tablets and mobile phones. Sorry, I don't plan on sticking around to see how this plays out. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 18 11:06 AM | 8 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • IBM Transformation Continues, Expect The Shares To Trade To $250 By Year-End [View article]
    Cringely,

If what you say doesn't come to pass will you write another e-book describing the transformation of the company? Thanks for reading and commenting.
    Jul 18 07:04 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Holdings Is A Worthwhile Speculation [View article]
    sirifair6,

I would like to add to your comment from a slightly different perspective. Irrespective of what type of product it is, you will never get to a 100% adoption rate. SIRI guidance calls for 1.25 million additional subscribers in 2014 which seems like a reasonable goal. As long as the subscriber growth continues on an upward trajectory and the excess cash reduces the shares outstanding the shares will surely follow. Lets hope the ride up is smooth and uneventful.
    May 19 07:04 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Holdings Is A Worthwhile Speculation [View article]
    WSP,

I provided a link to the details of the proposed deal. You are correct, thanks for pointing this out. Gross margin figure was taken from a Reuters report issued on the company. Feel free to review it, Reuters tends to be quite data rich in their reports.

My term speculation comes from the fact that SIRI is beginning to exhibit the signs of what I look for in a company as described in the first paragraph. I term it a speculation due to the lack of an established track record. I suspect they will use their future cash flow to aggressively repurchase shares in a similar manner to what DTV has done. Hope this clears up the confusion and I would like to thank you for taking the time out to read and comment on my article.
    May 19 05:19 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Holdings Is A Worthwhile Speculation [View article]
    bobsar,

P/E ratio is not especially useful here as SIRI earnings are depressed due to huge depreciation. The more useful metrics are gross margin and growth in EBITDA and cash flow. The reduction in share count will power the shares higher as long as management is disciplined enough to use as much FCF to reduce the shares outstanding. Thanks for reading and commenting.
    May 19 04:30 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Sirius XM Holdings Is A Worthwhile Speculation [View article]
    Stephen Faulkner,

Thank you as well for your well written articles on SIRI. I have learned quite a bit from them.
    May 19 04:13 PM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • How Warren Buffett Failed Coca-Cola Shareholders... And Himself [View article]
    Josh,

I agree with your comments however I am quite puzzled as to why you continue to own shares in KO. I sold mine in protest over the compensation plan which will quite simply lower my overall returns from owning the security. I detailed my thinking here http://seekingalpha.co... and predictably recieved quite a few negative comments. The best way to protest is to sell and move your money into a different venture.

As for Mr Buffett, for him to sell his stake in KO would generate a tremendous amount of capital gains which would make it counter productive. The best he could do in the matter is to mention the plan is "excessive" yet hold his nose and vote for it anyways. He has to protect his stake in the company as it is one of the four largest holdings in Berkshire Hathaway. I am not surprised the plan passed, it will be interesting to see if Mr Kent will face additional scrutiny going forward because of it. Enjoyed the article, thanks for writing it.
    Apr 28 07:50 AM | 7 Likes Like |Link to Comment