Alexander Valtsev

View Alexander Valtsev's Comments BY TICKER:
  • Tiny Houses Can Help Grow A Huge Portfolio [View article]
    Or yall could move to Thailand or some other country in that region - cost are lower plus it's fun)
    Apr 12 10:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Potash Corp.: Improved Potash Prices And Dividend Growth To Drive Upside [View article]
    What about changes in NWT as the business grows?
    Apr 12 10:05 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Enormous Hidden Value On Coca-Cola's Balance Sheet [View article]
    As I remember from my accounting class, as long as they are considered "marketable securities" (HFT) and are not significant stakes to be accounted for in "equity method", they are marked to market every quarter
    Apr 12 09:39 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Survivorship Bias [View article]
    I did not know high yields have done that well.
    Apr 11 02:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Use Norway Sovereign Fund's Top Holdings To Your Own Advantage [View article]
    I used this website as a reference (as of March 2013):

Apr 10 01:17 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Use Norway Sovereign Fund's Top Holdings To Your Own Advantage [View article]
    The article talks about the top holdings. I am not suggesting spreading over the entire population of their positions as this would be impractical.
    Apr 9 12:09 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Use Norway Sovereign Fund's Top Holdings To Your Own Advantage [View article]
    The fund holds several thousand equities in almost all countries across the globe. I chose the top 17 holdings (top ~20% of the equity portfolio) for analysis. Feel free to check their website and see the entire list of positions they have (more like 10 page of data).

And that's only the equity component.
    Apr 9 12:08 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Enormous Hidden Value On Coca-Cola's Balance Sheet [View article]
    IS it significant on a per-share basis?
    Apr 7 07:32 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • What Investors Need To Know About Rising Rates [View article]
    Practically, best bonds to smoothen the effect of rising interest rates are short-term high yield corporates (preferably, with options). Here, you are not gonna lose out.
    Apr 3 10:10 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • A Preference For Discomfort [View article]
    People don't learn investment basics in schools anyway.
    Apr 2 07:02 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A Proper Portfolio With Dividend-Paying Veterans [View article]
    Here is a good suggestion in regards to how to save: before you spend, cut a piece of your paycheque and put it into a savings account. The harder to get the money out of it later the better. That's what I do, and I am a university student.
    Mar 30 12:49 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Halliburton Company: This Stock Is A Buy [View article]
    The BarCap link does not work
    Mar 28 11:12 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A Proper Portfolio With Dividend-Paying Veterans [View article]
    I figured I like these instead of rapidly growing stocks because you don't have to really be concerned whether it is grossly overvalued and it's time to sell. Because when you sell, you have to look for new opportunities out there. I have sample portfolio of sea carriers equities which grew enormously in the past year (like >50%) after lagging in 2011 and 2012. Now, after some equities have shown 700%+ total growth, it is hard for me to decide where to park the cash, since I know pretty much all stocks in that group are at the top of the valuation range.
    Mar 26 12:26 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A Proper Portfolio With Dividend-Paying Veterans [View article]
    Really depends on circumstances. This could be just a portfolio within a portfolio, so to say.
    Mar 26 12:22 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Build A Proper Portfolio With Dividend-Paying Veterans [View article]
    The whole point is that this list of securities fared better in the past two decades than most ETFs in terms of risk-return. As mentioned before, I have built a large ETF database and was astonished to compare my ETF portfolios with this one and that of Warren Buffet. Not only average returns were higher but also total risk was lower despite the assumption that ETFs are better diversified and have minimized non-market risks.

As for cost of building this portfolio: there are discount brokers that offer deals (e.g. first 100 trades for free or some other similar promotion). For example, Questtrade charges like $5 per trade. Figure out reasonable minimum investing amount yourself. Generally, you could invest every month in one of these securities and rebalance in the end of the year with tax return money.
    Mar 25 12:17 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment