Allan Harris

View Allan Harris' Comments BY TICKER:
  • 420 Investor Newsletter [View instapost]
    Alan, the correct spelling of your first name is, "Allan." Don't worry, you're not alone, I've been running into it my whole life and am very grateful my parents got it right.
    Nov 29, 2014. 04:55 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading Or Investing? Making Money......or Not?  [View instapost]
    You run your trend line day-to-ay, or for shorter-term traders, hour-to-hour. You will NEVER get in at the absolute low tick and you will NEVER get out at the absolute HIGH tick. You WILL catch most of (80%+) of any normal trend. It's not perfect, and you WILL on occasion get whipsawed, 1, 2, maybe 3 small losses in a row. Then, you get into an extended trend and you not only make up for those small losses, you generate a substantial, outsized return. The epitome of "Keep your losses small, let your profits run." The idea is to make money, not try to impress yourself, or others, on how smart you at picking stocks. Easier said than done? Damn straight, look at your own skepticism. It took me 20 years to figure it out, but I've never looked back.
    Nov 29, 2014. 04:53 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Trading Or Investing? Making Money......or Not?  [View instapost]
    Trading is a game of probabilities, not certainties. I cannot be certain of what price will do tomorrow, but I do know that the overwhelming probability is that price will do tomorrow what it did today, and will do next week what it did this past week. Once you understand and put that very basic probability assumption on your side, trading will never be the same. Making money in the market is a zero sum game, for every winner, there is a loser. You have it in your power to be one or the other, but it's not about ego, its about probability.
    Nov 29, 2014. 03:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Twitter +4.9%; Costolo promises instant timeline, better messaging [View news story]
    My short-term trading service bought the TWTR Dec $41 calls for $2.25 at 12:30 pm (EDT). They are currently trading at $3.40. This trade was based SOLELY on a trend algorithm.
    Nov 12, 2014. 02:21 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GoPro: On The Way To A 52-Week Low [View article]
    Theo, I've been reading the Seeking Alpha articles on GPRO since it's IPO, virtually every one of them bearish since the $28 IPO price right through to your article (very well written by the way, right or wrong) today. As erroneous as those predictions were, the "Comments" on the articles were even more bearish. I haven't run the numbers yet, but it seems that about 90% of the total commentary on GPRO was negative, some extremely so. I've come to trade momentum and only momentum, it seems to get it right every time.

Sep 29, 2014. 12:21 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GoPro's IPO Pop Could Be Very Justified - A Look 3 Years Down The Road [View article]
    One of the few bullish articles on GPRO just before it's price soared, along with an overwhelming bearish consensus in the comments to the article. Kudos to the author!

Sep 29, 2014. 12:12 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • GoPro: On The Way To A 52-Week Low [View article]
    Price momentum is a tough fade, there will be plenty of time to buy puts when the trend turns down:

Sep 29, 2014. 11:46 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Past Performance Is Not An Indicator Of Future Results [View article]
    Powerball.
    Aug 27, 2014. 02:25 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Mobileye Shares Rally After Obama Administration Announces New ADAS Initiatives [View article]
    Imagine if you were the cutting edge manufacturer of another, "high tech," innovation, seat belts - in 1965, three years before the U.S. Motor Vehicle Safety Standards made seat belts mandatory in all vehicles. You took your company public and it immediately ran up to what at that time seemed like an insane valuation. Three years later Congress passes a law that demonstrably saves thousands of lives a year. Now every car maker in the country (soon to be world) is knocking at your door.

Grossly oversimplified, but that's how I see MBLY...as well as grossly undervalued. As long as the stock price is rising, I wouldn't sweat traditional fundamental valuations or metrics. The investment here is in the future, and as we have all seen from the past, the future is inevitable.

Aug 26, 2014. 07:09 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • VXX Short-Term Trading System [View instapost]
    I always trade the monthly calls, those that expire on the third Friday of each month. The simpler the strategy, the easier the system is to implement. Angst about what expiration and what strike price is unnecessary so long as your signals are working.
    Aug 26, 2014. 12:22 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • VXX Short-Term Trading System [View instapost]
    It's extremely rare for a signal to last more than 2 weeks, let alone 4-6 weeks. That's why I use "next month" ATM options. Generally the longer a trade, the more profitable as the trend is extending, so in any case where the system is holding a call or put into expiration, it's going to be extremely profitable.
    As for the clarification on which strike price to buy, with VXX closing today at 27.40, if Long I would buy the Sep $27 calls and if Short I would be in the Sep $28 puts.
    Aug 25, 2014. 07:11 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • VXX Short-Term Trading System [View instapost]
    1. The members of my service will get the signal in real time, and I'll likely put up the updated chart, but delayed for a day or two, in the free public charts area of allantrends.com;

2. This one rule will make all of your short-term option trading a lot less complicated: Buy the At-The-Money option for the NEXT month. In other words, if a Buy signal were triggered today (Aug 25th) with VXX at 27.45, I would buy the Sep $27 calls.
    Aug 25, 2014. 01:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • New Options Trading System Signals (CAGR Over 500%??) [View instapost]
    VXX is on a Sell signal from August 11th. Although trading options on the Sells have been profitable, the REAL money will be made when (and if) the market goes through a 20% or more bear market. Outstanding gains from near-term calls will be made (been there, done that). We are treading water, but when the bears take control, the fireworks begin. Patience.

Aug 25, 2014. 12:23 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Update: Tekmira Clinical Hold Lifted [View article]
    Aug 11, 2014. 10:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seeking Alpha Strikes A Victory For Free Speech [View article]
    "I believe," that anonymous authors lack integrity, credibility and character. "It seems to us," that applauding a boorish coward reeks from the depravity of vacuous dolts. Go ahead, sue me, make my day .
    Jul 7, 2014. 01:42 PM | 3 Likes Like |Link to Comment