Allen Jackson

View Allen Jackson's Comments BY TICKER:
  • If You Can Beat Them, Why Join Them? ETFs As Viable Long-Term Investments [View article]
    That's a great question. I personally own the stock, however it will not grow at the rate it once did primarily due to size. My next article will detail this concept in greater length. In essence, the larger Berkshire becomes the smaller the investment opportunities become. As such, it will be difficult for the company to continue the rapid growth it had in years past. However, I still believe the stock to have great upside potential.
    Jan 26 11:13 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you so much for your feedback. Its very encouraging to me
    Jan 26 11:09 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you Joseph, I have a few more coming soon. They will be more quantitative though.
    Jan 26 11:08 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    I agree with Jason, simply adding to your position each month will go a very long way! Simple yet effective!
    Jan 26 11:06 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I agree with your emotional argument 100%. Indexing, is therefore, a long term strategy. In the article I gave the example of the rapid rise of the Dow from 67 to 11,400. During this time frame, emotions went from extreme pessimism to over optimism. We had a 17 year period of mass pessimism by the financial community. Yet, investing for the long term, as history has shown will be quite profitable. Emotions, I would argue, are a prime reason why investors lose money. Im going to highlight this concept in more detail in my next article.
    Jan 26 09:16 AM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I agree with you. In this case, the ease of transactions actually harms the small investor in my opinion. Imagine if you were required to pay, say, $50 to buy a security. As an investor, you would think thoroughly about your investment behavior. You wouldn't buy and sell on superficial news or speculation. Instead, you would think thoroughly about the entire investment process before you make a decision. This thinking, I believe, will lead to better investing decisions over time.
    Jan 25 07:39 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
    I would encourage you to look at the TURNOVER of these particular actively managed funds. This too is a "fee" for you. This fee however is not noticed directly. The capital gains taxes from high turnover or portfolio realignment also will erode your profit over time. The market, by itself, returned roughly 16% last year without any active trading. Im not saying you are wrong, its just something that should be considered.
    Jan 25 07:35 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Fees are definitely a detriment to investor returns. Taxes, particularly now, are also becoming more important too. Thanks so much for the favorable feedback.
    Jan 25 07:31 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
    Thank you, I cant wait to write the second one!
    Jan 25 07:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment