AlphaIdeas

View AlphaIdeas' Comments BY TICKER:
  • Thoughts On Yahoo (And Alibaba) [View article]
    Yahoo has lots of potential upside - with downside risks priced in recently.

The company trades at a P/E of under 6 versus a 5 year average of 19. You are getting a bargain for these earnings here.

I am loving this special situation. I bought Yahoo today for the long-term.

Cheers.
    May 20, 2015. 10:59 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Greece Is In Rubble - What Else Is New? [View article]
    Interesting philosophy. I am okay with making small higher risk bets if I think I am right :)
    Feb 18, 2015. 09:16 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Greece Is In Rubble - What Else Is New? [View article]
    Yes if you spread the total debt by the population sure. However, our unemployment rate is no where near that of Greece, and we have modest growth. You're comparing apples to oranges I'm afraid.
    Feb 18, 2015. 09:15 AM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Greece Is In Rubble - What Else Is New? [View article]
    Interesting points, I agree I think this model is flawed.
    Feb 18, 2015. 09:14 AM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Magnum Hunter guides 2014 revenues well below consensus [View news story]
    That's incorrect, revenue is at $319.7 after Q3...not even counting Q4. These revenue figures are inaccurate.
    Jan 13, 2015. 04:16 PM | 2 Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Low Risk And Long-Term Success Portfolio Update 2015 [View article]
    Good question,

If you own developed international markets already, for instance, SCHF, you can directly invest a small percentage in emerging markets (VWO). Nothing wrong with VEU - it really comes down to what exposure you want to international equity.

I continue to see long-term solid opportunity in Europe (VGK) and China (VPL).
    Jan 8, 2015. 07:46 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Seadrill Partners Safe From Oil Downturn [View article]
    Great analysis, I am long Seadrill. I also submitted an article to this site for Seadrill but it was not good enough :(
    Jan 7, 2015. 11:18 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Low Risk And Long-Term Success Portfolio Update 2015 [View article]
    Netflixlong,

At least I admitted it was a trite saying!
    Jan 5, 2015. 11:33 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Low Risk And Long-Term Success Portfolio Update 2015 [View article]
    While I don't know how long trends will last - I would rather allocate capital at a lower price in international equities than invest in the SPY as many investors have done. I'm against the crowd in that respect.
    Jan 3, 2015. 12:34 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Low Risk And Long-Term Success Portfolio Update 2015 [View article]
    In the last year utilities and health hare have outperformed. I am inferring that we are in the transition from late expansion to early recession. This is also why I believe financials will be a good sector bet in the next year.
    Jan 3, 2015. 12:30 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment
  • Time For An Oil Change? [View article]
    My main argument is that you should HOLD on investing in energy funds until the oil prices return to normalcy but you can take advantage of decreased prices in specific funds today!
    Dec 4, 2014. 01:49 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • Comparing America's 3 Largest Packaging And Containers Companies [View article]
    Love the charts and comparisons. Every number is relative in finance and you present a well supported case here.
    Dec 1, 2014. 11:30 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Want Coal For Christmas [View article]
    Well, I do not specifically address this question. And yes, this is a very fair question. Alpha is of course to achieve risk-adjusted return, so achieving more return for the risk you take on (which is implied by this article).

To quantify the amount of risk I believe this depends on very difficult things to put a number on. For example, your view of the presidential election in 2016. I feel that it is more than likely that a republican candidate will take office, which would fair well for coal stocks. I also believe that infrastructure and emerging market growth is inevitable, and coal will be the main driver. I also believe the market has priced in a decent margin of safety. With all of this considered, it becomes a less risky proposition and more of a calculated bet. I wouldn't put all your eggs into it, but I think it's worth the exposure.
    Dec 1, 2014. 11:29 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • I Want Coal For Christmas [View article]
    Dean,

Thanks for your input. Perhaps, I am honestly not too familiar with the dry bulk shipping sector. I will look into it!
    Dec 1, 2014. 11:24 PM | Likes Like |Link to Comment
  • The End Of TV As We Know It [View article]
    In college I used to never pay for TV because you can stream so many channels for free online and also use your laptop to hookup to a monitor and use popular streaming services like Netflix which are a much cheaper alternative if your interest is watching shows.

This trend will not change overnight though. TV will be around for a very very long time yet.
    Dec 1, 2014. 11:22 PM | 1 Like Like |Link to Comment